Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

What social distancing?

(113 Posts)
maddyone Mon 18-May-20 14:53:48

This morning I awoke to the sound of builders working at a house across the road from our house. There appear to be five builders dismantling and rebuilding an extension at the back of the house. We watched out of interest for a few minutes. The builders were not wearing any protective equipment, no face masks or gloves. They were not abiding by any
social distancing whatever, so frequently standing together in a group or working side by side. The owner of the house appeared and stood immediately next to one of the builders talking. We didn’t watch long, essentially not really our business, but we commented on what we regard as a lack of responsibility. Later in the morning a large delivery vehicle brought building supplies to the house, and again the driver stood immediately next to one of the builders talking. A simple look through our windows suggest this will be going on for a number of days.

I know people have said the rules/guidelines are confusing, but surely these builders and the owners of the house understand social distancing. Construction workers were given the green light to return to work providing they can work and remain socially distanced. There is not even the most basic attempt to socially distance themselves at the house across the road from us. It doesn’t seem like rocket science to me, but it would appear it’s too difficult to understand for them, including the house owner. No wonder the virus continues to infect people. Meanwhile we can’t help our own daughter and her husband who are often working twelve hour shifts; they are working with Covid19 patients and other patients. They are struggling with long days, three very small children, trying to teach their children two days a week, delivering children to different childcare sites before and after work, and of course all the daily tasks in running a home. And the worry that they may contract Covid19. The irresponsible behaviour of people such as these builders will make us all need to stay at home and behave responsibly for longer, and their irresponsible behaviour will keep my daughter and her husband working themselves to exhaustion for longer.

sarahcyn Tue 19-May-20 09:53:17

In 3-4 weeks the numbers in hospital, and deaths, will start climbing again and all the lockdown sceptics will be saying "see, lockdown made no difference"

Rosalyn69 Tue 19-May-20 09:56:34

Perhaps spying is the wrong word. I see my neighbours go past my house. I view it as spying if I see they have visitors or are breaking the Rules but I don’t feel the need to report them to the police or get in any way bent out of shape about it. It’s their property.
And I believe a lot of people need to go to work either for financial reasons or their own mental well being. Also some people I’m sure are finding self isolation very hard.

Rosalyn69 Tue 19-May-20 09:57:25

And we can’t have the whole country locked down forever.

KathyG54 Tue 19-May-20 10:00:03

Oopsadaisy yes totally agree !

Daisymae Tue 19-May-20 10:04:39

The government have added the caveat 'where possible' which probably tells you all you need to know

Nannapat1 Tue 19-May-20 10:05:50

As far as I am aware, 'essential' construction work has never stopped, certainly not in the building of a new premises at the care home opposite us. I've no idea whether they could socially distance when working. Bu there again, neither have a number of other groups of key workers, prison officers for example. and I can't imagine that social distancing has been 100% maintained by those charged with looking after the young children of key workers!
at this point, with 3 year groups urged by the government to return to school in less than 2 weeks and people being urged to go to work if they can, it's no surprise that people are doing just that, whether or not they can always socially distance.

Debutante Tue 19-May-20 10:07:08

Hi
I know the Corona virus has put peoples lives in limbo but still can’t stop thinking about life after and wonder if anyone else has faced a similar dilemma... Recently a new grandmother to a grandson I was lucky enough to see before all this broke out. Completely fell in love and miss him terribly. However even knowing how much I miss him I still crave to move to the coast. We currently live an hour away from our daughter and the move would mean we’d be about 2.5 hours away by car. I know I’m mad even thinking about the possibility of selling up in the current climate but I’m just yearning to be by the sea so much! We lived there for a about 3 years and due to circumstances moved back to just outside London 2 years ago. I feel hemmed in and just long for the sea breezes, big sky and endless horizon. I felt so much happier and motivated to get up for each day down there. My concern is that once this is over I will be seeing my daughter and grandson every week but if we move it would probably be once a month at most. I think she will be very hurt that we would willingly move further away. Anyone have any personal experiences or advice for me please?

Missiseff Tue 19-May-20 10:07:54

The second wave will be chaotic. You can't educate stupid, I've stopped trying

Nannan2 Tue 19-May-20 10:08:10

Anniebach,and then theyre possibly taking the virus home to their families.?

chattykathy Tue 19-May-20 10:11:44

Whether these builders are fit and healthy or not the point is they will be out and about around the shops etc and it seems doubtful they will be following other guidance such as hand washing, coughing into tissues. This is why the rate of infection is slow to come down. I'd keep well away from the neighbour for the foreseeable.

Houndi Tue 19-May-20 10:16:09

At the moment the hospital have the numbers now.At my husband they only have 3 covid patients.The peoblem is if the R rises by people not keeping social distancing.We wentvinto lockdown later we need to keep in place the same measures as Wales and Scotland instead of following europe

Flakesdayout Tue 19-May-20 10:21:01

I don't spy on my neighbours but as I am home all day every day I do look out of my windows and have seen one of them have friends and family round some days and all over the weekend. I expect they could have been in the garden distancing, but not all day.? But its none of my business and if they catch or pass on anything horrible I hope they all survive. All the other neighbours have visitors that stay in the front garden and they are at the door. All of them do this. This lockdown is hard for us who have to remain at home and just watching the neighbourhood is a little bit of a pastime.

rowanflower0 Tue 19-May-20 10:21:17

My son's are in construction, My elder son employing the younger. Although the older son is back at work, the younger son is still furrowed as they would be unable to maintain social distancing. They have their own kettle and he stays apart from the householders, he even drives home to use the toilet. The builders opposite you should be ashamed.

Teddy123 Tue 19-May-20 10:26:08

I wouldn't report them either but I may delete them from my Christmas card list ?

Nannieannie51 Tue 19-May-20 10:29:10

My husband, who had been in major construction management told the government when they first said construction should remain open that social distancing would not be possible on building sites. Either because of the nature of the work or lack of will to comply. The toilet facilities are usually disgusting too.
The construction industry drives the economy though. If you think of it. Right through from manufacturing to selling the end product. The government is happy to turn a blind eye to abuses otherwise it’ll never restart until a possible vaccination programme.
With the schools also due to reopen where social distancing is also going to be extremely difficult, in state schools at least.
I’m convinced the government is pursuing herd immunity.

ReadyMeals Tue 19-May-20 10:33:00

Next door to me the builders seem to be occupying the house as a household during the work, but they do wear masks as well.

chris8888 Tue 19-May-20 10:33:42

I think some people have just given up following any guidelines. This has not been helped by the news that school are/opening for some in June. Not private schools of course, they open in Sept. Really! Why would anyone listen.

Soozikinzi Tue 19-May-20 10:35:19

I actually think people have been really good about the lockdown here in Wigan anyway which is a very average kind of area . I’ve hardly seen a child they’re all in the homes . The shops all have screens and one way systems I think the general public have been pretty good about it all . You always get an odd idiot but most of us should be congratulated .

Soozikinzi Tue 19-May-20 10:38:25

Children are all in Their homes I meant

Gwenisgreat1 Tue 19-May-20 10:41:22

Our 'shielded' neighbour regularly has her teenage grandson staying over, having seen them out walking, there is no social distancing. I thought of her as an intelligent woman, but that and a neighbourly dispute makes me wonder.

EMMYPEMMY Tue 19-May-20 10:41:34

I agree, we have to get back to some normality this virus is not going away. we cannot stay in lockdown for years ....

vintageclassics Tue 19-May-20 10:42:00

I have a builder here at the moment - absolutely necessary or we'll have no working bathroom facility - he's kept his distance and been completely responsible - so have we - he's also our youngest son! I make no apology for having him here for essential repairs.

VictorMthe2nd Tue 19-May-20 10:47:01

Each one of you commenting have every right in saying what you feel, so I will too!

I'm 69, and DH 74. Having completed the Playtex Moonwalk Full Moon 26.2 miles for several years raising thousands for the walkthewalk.org charity I walk around 20-25 miles each week and besides yoga and other activities, I keep fit and slim. Out of the blue I suffered a heart attack on Easter Monday and after an an Angiogram and Angioplasty I await bypass surgery when my Cardiologist deems it will be safe.

Due to medical and age reasons we stuck strictly to the rules and have been locked down for two months and we miss being able to hug our son and our grandchildren and my DH's 91 year old Aunt (who sadly died on Monday 11 May in a care home, distraught and unvisited too).

Advised to take exercise, on 9 May we walked through local woods onto a clearly defined footpath that ran through a field. Near the end there were two bikes on the ground millimetres off the path and next to them, lying down, a young woman with her small child sunbathing having a picnic without a care in the world or any thought for others. We had to veer off into the field and walk around them at a social distance.

On 10 May, we walked a different route in the hope we would not encounter a similar problem. We walked along an unmaintained pavement which was fairly narrow due to overgrown tall stinging nettle growth. A middle-aged male having a run approached us from the opposite direction, he should have known better but was obviously not going to stop for anyone, so we stepped back into the nettles. He was panting strongly, mouth open, and aggressively ran so close to me I was forced to ask “have you not heard of social distancing?” - even though he was inches away, he didn’t hear me as he had earphones on!

Last Sunday we walked through the same woods, footpath, and returned on the pavement too. There were several young couples lying on the footpath, so again we were forced to avoid them. The nettles had been cleared on the pavement and we noticed a young lad running towards us from behind so we stood still where we were up against the hedgerow, and this time, to thwart the real danger and risk to my health, I stuck my arm out and waited for him to pass. He didn’t try to avoid that, and hit my hand, so I asked “have you not heard about the metre social distancing?” With that I was told to “Fuck off” and running away like a coward from my angered DH who wanted to slug him, I also got the one finger sign. A truly ignorant young lad who didn’t seem to have had a decent upbringing and instead possessed a complete disregard to the wellbeing of us or others.

My DH is fit and lean but with diabetes type 2, AF, and heart problems. He contracted pneumonia after a bad bout of flu years ago, and will never forget fighting for his every breath in hospital with others dying around him, and he would not wish that on anyone including those mentioned - but no doubt they will be lucky and never catch pneumonia or contract C-19 - BUT each one could have passed it to one of us.

Why is it that people just don’t get it, where's the respect we were taught as kids, foul people spitting at wonderful key workers who sacrifice their lives for us or emergency service personnel and even the police just doing their jobs - it can't just be mixed messages from No 10?

Jishere Tue 19-May-20 10:52:46

Personally I wouldn't worry unless it affects you. I say this because whilst working two workers wanted to get in my office although they agreed only one the day before. They both had no ppe and obviously between them wasn't observing the social distancing. But alot of workers seem to think they are exempt and consider as they come to work together in van they have little or no regard for who's office they are going in.
I guess it's up to the person who's house it is to implement the rules. Although there seems to be a general air of everyone doing What they want, after Boriss bumbling speech.

Paperbackwriter Tue 19-May-20 10:54:25

All we can do is the best we can to protect ourselves. This might well include stepping away from twitching the curtains and building up a huge steam of outrage at what others are doing. Find something else to occupy you for the sake of your sanity.