Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Shame on the BBC; what are they playing at?

(28 Posts)
Smileless2012 Mon 18-May-20 19:08:04

Couldn't believe what I was hearing on the 6.00pm news this evening. A doctor saying he didn't know that loss of one's sense of smell could be an indication of the virus.

He put on a fitted hood and pepper spray was used to test whether or not the hood was working correctly. He realised he had no sense of smell at this point, but didn't get himself tested for Covid until he developed a fever.

Loss of sense of smell and taste as a possible sympton of Covid wasn't news to me or Mr. S. as we already knew this, and have known since March.

An article in the Independent March 21st., the New York Times March 22nd and the Daily Mail March 26th et al all reported these as being possibly symptomatic of the Covid virus. Which begs the questions, why wasn't a doctor aware of this? and why did the BBC present it as 'news'.

GrannyLaine Tue 19-May-20 09:46:23

Smileless2012 did he say when he developed the infection? He was a consultant neurosurgeon and I find it pretty amazing that he was unaware of the connection. I have been aware for some weeks that it can be an early symptom of CV19 but that it also happens with other conditions that affect the respiratory tract.

Smileless2012 Tue 19-May-20 09:57:56

He didn't say GrannyLaine. We were amazed that he wasn't aware of the connection because like you we already knew it could be an early indication. It was only when he developed a fever that he got tested.