Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Should I feel guilty?

(141 Posts)
aonk Sun 24-May-20 14:36:45

I’d like your views please. Until Friday we have stuck rigidly to all the lockdown rules. We have visited local AC and GC and spoken to them from the pavement. On Friday it was my birthday and the local AC brought their grandchildren down the side entrance to our back garden. We chatted from a distance and the children made a lot of noise. No one went into the house and we kept our distance at all times. Yesterday our DD and family drove 20 miles to do the same thing. We hadn’t seen them since early February as they had to self isolate before the lockdown. I now feel, much as I enjoyed these visits, that we shouldn’t have allowed them to happen. The noise made in my garden may have also upset my neighbours who are unable to see their grandchildren at all as their DD won’t allow it. Please don’t criticise but constructive comments would be very welcome.

annab275 Mon 25-May-20 10:52:58

I did the same yesterday and last weekend. Travelled to see the two separate households of my AC and I sat in the garden, socially distanced. It was marvellous. The grandkids were fine and kept their distance too. All good, and better for seeing each other.

live7 Mon 25-May-20 10:53:53

Shocked reading how many on here are breaking the rules, and how many others are saying don't feel guilty, were doing the same!! And most seem before the Cummings fiasco.
Just 1 from 1 household with one from another household in a public place is allowed. I can't see my child (disabled in a group home) and cannot Skype or phone as they have no language) I am desperate to visit (its over 12 weeks for me now) and will only be able to when the rules change. I think thats why I get so upset reading all this because it can only delay that time.

Toadinthehole Mon 25-May-20 10:57:20

We could stay in ten years, and then still peak when we come out! According to some scientists we were listening to the other evening. This virus could be around for ever, but the world won’t be if we stay locked up. At some point, we have to go out there and get on with it.

May7 Mon 25-May-20 11:01:36

Libman Missiseff Harrigran
Agree with you totally. I'm heartbroken too. Our region has the highest no of deaths outside of London and its not difficult to see why.

NotSpaghetti Mon 25-May-20 11:02:16

I would feel guilty I'm afraid.
I have only seen my grandchildren through the window.

Daisyboots Mon 25-May-20 11:13:22

I am in Portugal so we are a bit further out of lockdown than the UK but we havent seen anyone since my birthday in early March. Most of our friends have been the same. When speaking to my palliative care doctor she thought a vist to my son who lives about 120km away would do both my husband and I good. My son and daughter in law have also stayed at home and have only shopped every three weeks so I am sure all will be well.

My closest friend wants to meet up at the local cafe for a coffee next week but I am feeling a bit worried about this though.

dianne2265 Mon 25-May-20 11:16:02

I think it is a case of using your common sense. I had my mum and dad round last week, we had a glass of wine in the garden (socially distanced) and it was lovely.

GuestCorrectly Mon 25-May-20 11:21:10

Can I refer everyone who is saying it is perfectly legal to section 6 of The Health Protection (Coronavirus, Restrictions) (England) Regulations 2020. Sadly leaving your home to go into somebody’s garden remains technically an offence. Whether you should feel guilty or if the police will even bother to speak to anybody about it is another matter. I took a document that needed witnessing to a neighbour’s garden the other day. We took all appropriate safety precautions and even discussed whether we should meet in the street to try to do it. Yes, I actually had a tinge of guilt at the time although instinct told me the necessity of the situation gave me a reasonable excuse under the legislation. After the revelations of this weekend, I don’t know why I even had a tinge.

Eloethan Mon 25-May-20 11:22:00

I think that's fine. I also think it's OK sitting in a park - provided people behave sensibly and keep their distance.

Jishere Mon 25-May-20 11:24:03

Nothing wrong with what you did. Shopping for parents I have always sat in their garden and had a chat at a distance.
Has anyone been that sterile and not realised you can see people just no hugging and no big gatherings?
I mean it's instinct all the way now as rules are out the window. Don't forget you should wear a mask but Boris as not made it compulsory especially on public transport, so again it's up to.

MerylStreep Mon 25-May-20 11:27:42

Libman, Misseseff, Harrigran
When are you going to come out? There's not going to be an announcement in say one months time to say ok folks, it's all ok now, you can all go back to normal

Imho this is what Boris said when he eased the lockdown restrictions. Of course he couldn't say that directly, people would have been very confused/ angry/ frightened. So he allowed small liftings and is now leaving to us to see how it goes. Basically he's kicked the lockdown into the long grass.

Missiseff Mon 25-May-20 11:29:02

angryangryangryangry

Chewbacca Mon 25-May-20 11:31:12

That's right Missiseff, we're all angry.

inishowen Mon 25-May-20 11:36:06

We hadn't seen our grandchildren since lockdown, until yesterday. It was our grandsons 3rd birthday. We took his presents to his house. Our daughter in law was there with her children too. We sat in the garden. The children played in their paddling pool. We sat at a distance. It was so good to see them after all that time. No harm done.

Noreen3 Mon 25-May-20 11:41:36

no need at all to feel guilty aonk.You've done nothing wrong,and don't worry about making a noise.

Jishere Mon 25-May-20 11:44:22

Fuming at clueless Boris and now it trully is time to use common sense even if you haven't before.
If breaking the rules is delivering shopping and sitting at a distance whilst chatting then I'm guilty.

But then I'm already guilty for not getting out of the way quick enough has people who have walked, cycled or jogged right past me or those who can't wait in the supermarket and have lent right over me!!

Aepgirl Mon 25-May-20 11:44:29

I think what you did was fine - yes, if I gad been one of your neighbours I would have had pangs of envy, but I certainly wouldn’t have been critical of what happened. Hope I can do the same too.

Jillybird Mon 25-May-20 11:55:21

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Missiseff Mon 25-May-20 12:06:15

Jillybird. Nonsense rules?? Wow. Ignorance right there.

Theoddbird Mon 25-May-20 12:07:25

Family should not have been allowed in your garden....simple.

MerylStreep Mon 25-May-20 12:15:00

Misseseff
They became nonsense rules when the scientist who advocated the lockdown had his married lover come to his house for some rumpy pumpy. He obviously thought they were nonsense rules

Nannan2 Mon 25-May-20 12:18:10

No you seem to have abided by guidelines- stayed outside,stayed out at a distance,it seems fine. Ive not tried this as most of my AC are an hour& half's drive away, but with Cummings breaking the rules many many more will be prompted to do so- thats why they should sack him! But you aonk,seem to have been quite sensible.

Hetty58 Mon 25-May-20 12:19:48

Yes, you should feel guilty. It's just a slap in the face to everyone who's sticking to the rules - and bound to antagonise your neighbours!

Chewbacca Mon 25-May-20 12:20:08

They became even more nonsense rules when a Chief Medical adviser (Catherine Calderwood) made at least 2 journeys to her second home whilst telling everyone else to stay at home. And there was also that chap Cummings...... let me think.... what was it he said......and did?

Nannan2 Mon 25-May-20 12:24:25

But Jillybird- it was on tv news other day that Guernsey have had NO MORE DEATHS from covid19 recently,at all- and jersey is almost 0 too, but they're now in a quandary over getting their economy going as they'd have to risk outsiders coming in- sadly it could then re- introduce the virus- me? I'd want to stay shut-and safe!