Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

So angry about this witch hunt

(524 Posts)
silversurf Mon 25-May-20 17:24:12

Watching Dominic Cummings being grilled on tv by journalists Asking the same questions over and over. It is obvious from the guidelines which he read out that he was not breaking them.
His family and especially his child must come first. He did what he thought was best.
Leave the poor man alone.

Puzzler61 Mon 25-May-20 18:26:15

Someone who advised Dominic C and Boris J that it was a good idea to sit on this for 3 weeks and it would go away made a big error of judgement.
It’s gone so far now that only a resignation from Mr Cummings will put it to bed in my view ( a very amateur one).

Toadinthehole Mon 25-May-20 18:26:48

We’ve just watched this poor excuse for a man try to blag his way through the interviews. He’s a rabbit caught in the headlights, he’s been caught out and should go. This thread has got to be a wind up.

GGumteenth Mon 25-May-20 18:30:29

Oh My God!! What do you who support him not get? This is not a witch hunt. This is democracy in action ...

I can see no "democracy" in screaming at those who simply hold a different view to your own.

You have no evidence to show he broke any rules. The police have backtracked; as I imagine will others who thought it clever to say they spotted him in places he appears to have evidence to show he didn't go.

It may not be the best decision he ever made but in the circumstances, I doubt that any decision would have been perfect.

Just in case anyone is interested and has stopped being angry The Archers is back tonight.

MamaCaz Mon 25-May-20 18:33:46

GrannyGravy13
Sorry, I would have and still would use my instinct and if any of my AC or GC needed me I would go to them in a heartbeat.

But that isn't what happened, is it?
In Cummings' case, the person/people who travelled across the country were not going to the aid of someone in urgent need of care or help, were they?. It was merely someone who merely thought (allegedly) that they might or might not need back-up at some time in the future.
To me, there is a world of difference!

Ngaio1 Mon 25-May-20 18:34:20

Witch hunt! For crying out loud the chap blatantly broke lockdown. Such arrogance. Still has not apologised and has put the ball in Boris's court quite firmly.

With regard to his outing "to test his eyes" before attempting to drive home, why could not his wife take over the wheel if he wasn't capable. It is unlikely that she doesn't drive.

grannyrebel7 Mon 25-May-20 18:34:51

He should do the honorable thing and resign or Boris should sack him. He broke the rules, no two ways about it! He can't see that he's done anything wrong, such is the arrogance of the man. The press asked all the right questions if you ask me.

Barmeyoldbat Mon 25-May-20 18:34:59

He broke the rules, he left the house when he thought he had the virus. The rules are very clear you and your family must isolate, end of. As for childcare, he wife , in his words, had a headache and thrown up. As it was she recovered the next day and her son became ill, maybe the same as the wife. Anyway they could have managed. Cover up. He should go, he has no morals whatsoever.

Evoha16 Mon 25-May-20 18:46:52

‘The Police have backtracked’ - an accusation of perjury and malfeasance in public office with regard to Durham force Ggumteenth - I hope you will rescind and retract that accusation

MissAdventure Mon 25-May-20 18:46:56

Is his job as difficult and demanding as frontline NHS staff?

Nannee49 Mon 25-May-20 18:51:12

Ggumteenth I suspect you are a wind up. Enjoy the Archers

lemongrove Mon 25-May-20 19:00:30

Nannee49 You are wrong actually, as GGum has been on the forum for many years ( just happens that she has a different opinion to you.)
I often don’t agree with her comments, but now and then I do, as she has her own opinions and isn’t a sheep and isn’t at all afraid of airing her opinions. Same as me.?

Witzend Mon 25-May-20 19:05:01

Witch hunt is exactly right. Anyone would think he had singlehandedly brought the virus from China, and plotted how best to spread it around.

It’s very distasteful to see so much self righteous outrage and the baying for blood, like something from another age, at the foot of the gallows.

Atqui Mon 25-May-20 19:05:33

Silversurf You are a brave woman!I don’t agree with his powerful position,or subsequent visits if proven to have happened, but I suspect many parents would do what he did ( and it was within guidelines spoken by The deputy health advisor ( sorry if that’s not her title). Of course not everyone has the luxury of a self contained annexe to isolate in. Many unfortunate people have no gardens , but that doesn’t mean those who do cannot use them. It is sad that anyone who disagrees with his resignation is treated with such contempt On this forum

Oopsminty Mon 25-May-20 19:05:41

Just putting this out there.

Our media, usually loathed on GN, are breaking all the 2 metre social distancing rules

Maybe the police could have a word with them as well

And no, I am no fan of DC and I am not impressed with his behaviour

Just slightly amazed at the level of hatred .

Buffybee Mon 25-May-20 19:06:34

He hasn’t done anything wrong, according to the rules, he was safeguarding a young child.
You people baying for his resignation are just full of hatred of
him because he brought about Brexit.
Be honest!

MissAdventure Mon 25-May-20 19:07:30

I expect they're acting instinctively.

MissAdventure Mon 25-May-20 19:08:10

Rubbish, buffybee

mcem Mon 25-May-20 19:10:23

Just to point out that the fully justified criticism directed at him is NOT because of who he is. It IS because of what he's done!!
Arrogance personified!

lemongrove Mon 25-May-20 19:10:54

Witzend ?they are enjoying the thrill of the hunt! Not an edifying sight, especially as there is so much hypocrisy around.

lemongrove Mon 25-May-20 19:12:08

mcem....not because of who he is? You simply cannot really think that.

MissAdventure Mon 25-May-20 19:17:31

I think the sheer arrogance of the man is something that everyone objects to.
Well.. most people, at least

Jasbug Mon 25-May-20 19:19:40

New to this but can’t believe how critical some people seem to be.This would have been a difficult time for any government.Mistakes are made by us all everyday.Just let them get on with it and the rest of us support those around us.

Atqui Mon 25-May-20 19:19:43

On his press conference he admitted he had made mistakes but not about this issue- is that arrogance?

varian Mon 25-May-20 19:21:37

Yes

Lucca Mon 25-May-20 19:21:46

Jishere. A minor point Barnard Castle is a town.....

Galaxy I don’t understand the points you are making about going into Downing Street