Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

The Cummings Effect - are people rebelling?

(320 Posts)
AGAA4 Wed 27-May-20 15:31:03

My very law abiding neighbours seem to have changed since the Cummings interview.

One couple headed off to their second home the day after and I have noticed that others are no longer observing the 2 metre advice.

This is a very small community and I am wondering if others are not complying now with the rules.

If this is happening across the country then it is very worrying. I know many people are angry and feel betrayed.

Orangerose Wed 27-May-20 15:42:04

I am complying with the rules and I don’t feel betrayed. It’s up to the individual to follow guidelines and to keep safe.

Happygirl79 Wed 27-May-20 15:43:51

I am furious that Dominic Cummings broke the lockdown but I wouldn't stoop so low as to copy his selfish actions personally

Sparklefizz Wed 27-May-20 15:44:31

I agree Orangerose. More fool them.
Personally I have never made a major decision by asking myself what Dominic Cummings would do !!! grin

Orangerose Wed 27-May-20 15:46:17

Haha yes Sparklefizz agree!?

MaizieD Wed 27-May-20 15:49:55

I wouldn't not comply just because of Cummings, but I fear that many people, maybe the younger ones who think C19 is an old people's disease and are a bit hazy about its transmission rate, may think it's not important any more.

Though I do think that the way the government is easing the lockdown doesn't really help. It's too early, haphazard and confusing.

I'm looking for a surge in cases from next week on. The death rate may be diminishing but the infection rate isn't. I hope I'm mistaken about a surge, but I don't have great expectations...

Granny23 Wed 27-May-20 15:50:39

Yeah. I've had no one to tell me what do do since MIL died. Don't know how I've managed.

AGAA4 Wed 27-May-20 15:52:11

I think people will though and it will impact on those of us who have followed the guidelines.

Pantglas2 Wed 27-May-20 15:53:38

This thread title made me smile....along the lines of ‘are the peasants revolting’??

AGAA4 Wed 27-May-20 15:56:31

The whole point is we have been told what to do. At first we were told to Stay at Home. This was an instruction. and as far as I know most people did as they were told.

quizqueen Wed 27-May-20 15:58:36

When the Royals went straightaway to their holiday homes, I decided that I didn't have to do anything the government told me to.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 27-May-20 15:59:32

I’m surprised you’ve only brought that up now qq

Lucca Wed 27-May-20 16:01:41

Quizqueen, I do hope you are joking.

midnightschild Wed 27-May-20 16:11:58

I’m not rebelling but have seen several instances of neighbours breaking the rules over the last few days, so maybe some folk are.

AGAA4 Wed 27-May-20 16:18:54

Hopefully most of us will keep ourselves and others safe.

It must be very annoying for those who were fined for trying to find childcare in similar or worse situations to Cummings.

EllanVannin Wed 27-May-20 17:28:06

Those who do follow Cummings's actions obviously already had / have it in mind to do so, or they wouldn't be doing it knowing the uncertainty of this virus and its means of spreading.

It's a load of bull that people rebel because he did, particularly during this good weather as I'm sure they'd think twice if it was chucking it down. I wasn't born yesterday !

AGAA4 Wed 27-May-20 17:37:14

People are annoyed not so much by what Cummings did but that he, so far, has got away with breaking rules.

I think if anyone finds themselves in similar situations, needing childcare, they may decide that struggling on, as they would have done before, is not worth it but we have been told that the rest of us have to abide by the rules.

NfkDumpling Wed 27-May-20 17:41:55

I don’t think Cumming’s stupidity and selfishness will influence me to take risks, but I think it will make me look very carefully at the full rules and read the small print in future, ignore the silly slogans and not just follow what we’re told in broadcasts.

Certainly, had I have known we could travel for childcare, I would have travelled to care for my DGDs when their family was struggling through on their own. I may be over 70 but I’m pretty sure we had the virus back in February so I would have risked it.

MamaCaz Wed 27-May-20 17:45:48

Anyone who already felt tempted to break the rules, whatever their reasons (and we all know that in some cases, following the rules could be more dangerous than breaking them), will now feel justified in doing so even if they previously resisted that urge.

I have no idea what percentage of the population might fall into that catagory, but would guess that this Cummings Effect will be significant enough to create a noticable difference.

enough for us to now see

Daisymae Wed 27-May-20 17:52:49

Yes, I have noticed that people are feeling the they can bend the rules s little. His actions have undermined the government message. Without doubt.

MawB Wed 27-May-20 17:58:12

I suspect DomCum is providing a convenient justification for those who were getting fed up of lockdown by now. There are plenty on GN who seem prepared to take the risk but ignore the fact that they are not just putting themselves at risk, but the community as a whole.
DomCum has been a prat and a duplicitous one at that - do we therefore assume he was right and so we can all be prats with impunity? If everybody on the motorway is breaking the speed limit- boy racers doing 120 in their Jags or Ferraris - does that make you follow suit? Does it make it OK?

Rosalyn69 Wed 27-May-20 18:00:17

I will continue to isolate. Goody two shoes me.
Just because DC is a t...it doesn’t mean I have to be.

Sparklefizz Wed 27-May-20 18:10:29

Well said MawB

maddyone Wed 27-May-20 18:13:50

Maizie
‘..... I do think that the way the government is easing lockdown doesn’t really help. It’s too early, haphazard, and confusing.’

I totally agree. I think there will be a surge in serious cases and deaths. I very, very much hope not, but I think there will be.

Lexisgranny Wed 27-May-20 18:22:55

Firstly, may I say that I am no fan of Dominic Cummings. Secondly I belong to the “sheltered” group, and as such I have been an avid reader of anything relating to Covid19, particularly comments made by the general public. What I find totally incomprehensible is the attitude of many people following the disclosures of the last few days. “If he can get away with it, I’m going to as well “. In other words one man breaking the rules has caused many others to become so annoyed that they are happy to risk the health of themselves, their families and members of the public to follow suit. I am alone in thinking this attitude childish and irresponsible?