Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

The Cummings Effect - are people rebelling?

(321 Posts)
AGAA4 Wed 27-May-20 15:31:03

My very law abiding neighbours seem to have changed since the Cummings interview.

One couple headed off to their second home the day after and I have noticed that others are no longer observing the 2 metre advice.

This is a very small community and I am wondering if others are not complying now with the rules.

If this is happening across the country then it is very worrying. I know many people are angry and feel betrayed.

janipat Wed 27-May-20 18:25:42

I suspect you're right MawB about those for whom lockdown was becoming too much using it as an excuse. However I do think when rulemakers break their own rules, and despite all his and Boris's protestations he did, some people do begin to question whether the rules are really so necessary, or whether they need to be so strict. I think with comments like they went to Durham so his nieces of 17 and 20 could provide childcare "being in the least risk age" or words to that effect, he gives the message that that age group can take risks. Of course taking risks with their lives also takes risks with the lives of all who encounter them. Plus some rules deny logic. I said on another thread where is the logic that I can go to a local park and social distance from a family or household of any number who are strangers to me, but if I want to see family or friends I can only social distance from one at a time? When they said you could meet mum in the morning and dad in the afternoon, even though mum and dad live together, that struck as farcical. Should add, I've kept even the farcical rules smile

Lucca Wed 27-May-20 18:27:36

MawB and Lexisgranny. Good points. Sadly some will not think the same.

Grammaretto Wed 27-May-20 18:28:03

I heard on the radio today that people who were fined for breaking the rules are demanding their money back as a result of DC!

We are shielding and in Scotland so doubly locked up and haven't seen our family at all.
We are listening for what Nicola says tomorrow and hope our DD and DGD can travel to see us for a picnic in the garden this weekend. She won't bring the wee one because she is too young to understand that we can't hug.
We are definitely sticking to the rules to avoid this virus.

ginny Wed 27-May-20 18:28:43

Whatever anyone else did or does, as my Mum always said ‘ if ...... put his /her head in a gas oven, would you ?

FlexibleFriend Wed 27-May-20 18:31:16

I'll continue to do my own thing which is staying home and having contact with no one except my son, dil and grandson who all live here. Others have been putting their own interpretation on things and will no doubt continue. Most people I know think easing lockdown is premature and mostly while still staying home seem to be doing things I find a bit weird and unnecessary. Most people seem to think DC has made a tit of himself and think he's irrelevant.

rosenoir Wed 27-May-20 18:32:15

Just about to type that myself ginny. Where is the support for what he did from the many gransnetters that have been rule breaking.

Kalu Wed 27-May-20 18:34:26

I certainly won’t be following the obnoxious Cumming’s selfishness. My only hope is anyone who considers flaunting the guidelines now thinks of the bigger picture before they risk spreading the virus. Do they really think our exhausted NHS, who will treat them regardless of their selfishness, deserve any addition to their already extremely difficult endeavours to simply care for them too.?

Puzzler61 Wed 27-May-20 18:35:13

I don’t think I’ll be persuaded by anything DomCum says but I do think the guidelines to meet in open spaces but not in large gardens with side gates are non-sensical.
If I want to visit someone whose garden fits the criteria of being large with a side gate - and is close to home - and particularly if they are lonely or sad, then I will.

Starblaze Wed 27-May-20 18:36:21

People are thinking that it can't be that serious if an official with access to all the relevant information hasn't taken it seriously. Couple that with people's lowering mental health and all the false information flying about, they have followed his example.

NfkDumpling Wed 27-May-20 18:59:25

We were shielding, but have deteriorated into semi-shielding as neither of us were coping very well any more. We’ve been out in the car to where we keep our little boat and sat in the middle of the broad completely isolated. We are breaking the guidelines and going out once a week. But using common sense as Boris said - and avoiding people like the plague. Also, Mr Gove said at an evening Briefing - very briefly in passing blink and you miss it - that it was ok if it could be done safely. Cumming’s faux pas has made me feel better about doing this and I no longer feel guilty.

Jishere Wed 27-May-20 19:13:06

This has to be the gift that keeps on giving....
Whilst walking to work from the beginning of the virus I spot my neighbour in fact I spot two different neighbours both out for an early morning stroll together. One with dog the other just walking in the road along side but also supposedly isolating. As I dodge them she shouts, 'You have a long walk, thought you would have got a cab.' I don't drive. Of course I was angry and I know I should have shouted back, 'Surely it's safer to walk on the pavement,?'
My point being lots will and have done what they wanted. I know neighbours that have seen there GCs even though social distance was instructed one child forget.

I could go on....the harsh reality is some of the general public are a law unto their own and always have been. All we can do is look after ourselves and our families as best we can. Moaning about other GNs won't get anybody anywhere.

Jishere Wed 27-May-20 19:15:22

Dumpling that sounds lovely, it must be so peaceful.
Hope you enjoy, wish I had a boat I think I'd sail away?

BlueSky Wed 27-May-20 20:00:14

I'm afraid that's what they have achieved firstly by his behaviour and secondly by the PM backing him as if he'd done something wonderful. His own arrogant attitudine didn't help, if he apologised and said they had been very worried, a lot more people would have been satisfied. We carry on doing what we are told but many will now give up and bend the rules to suit their circumstances.

Urmstongran Wed 27-May-20 20:16:21

Totally agree Maw and well said.

I have fully complied with lockdown regulations out here in Spain (which have been pretty tough).

That said, I’m not a rebellious type. In the U.K. I definitely would have obeyed all the rules for the common good.

Furret Wed 27-May-20 20:21:14

While we are led by asses then it is hardly surprising people will interpret the rules in their own way. I will continue to follow physical distancing, practise hygiene rules and stay away from crowded areas (my own rule) stay close to home (ditto), wear a face mask and gloves IF I think the situation demands it, then that’s it as far as I’m concerned.

NfkDumpling Wed 27-May-20 20:29:02

It is Jishere, it is. But strictly speaking, although we travel there in the bubble of our car and don’t see a living soul, we’re breaking the rules. We’ve also driven to where we can go for solitary walks and seen our offspring in the front garden (they were on the path). But we do also live in an area where the infection rate is low. I think a lot of people are like us and gradually relaxing the rules. I believe Cummings has encouraged this to happen more.

I don’t think there’s any point in waiting for Cummngs to apologise. He simply can’t do it. Anymore than he can help manipulating people or be able to empathise with them.

varian Wed 27-May-20 20:40:48

Led By Donkeys
@ByDonkeys

When the PM’s top adviser is criss-crossing the country with coronavirus, it’s definitely time to Stay Alert

(Location: Westminster Bridge Rd, London)

Framilode Wed 27-May-20 20:42:10

I have stuck absolutely to the rules but on Sunday we are going down to see our daughter and family. They have been self isolating but on Monday one of the children returns to school. Therefore we are going on Sunday before that happens. I did feel bad about it but don't now.

BlueSky Wed 27-May-20 20:57:27

Same here Furret

vegansrock Thu 28-May-20 05:14:51

I’m definitely using my instinct and common sense as we are supposed to be doing now. I haven’t been anywhere apart from my own house and garden for 2 months and now feel it’s less risky to meet people in a garden rather than a crowded park or beach. So that’s what I’m doing. Which is not what the rules say but given the level of faith I have in the current rule makers I feel totally justified.

Shelmiss Thu 28-May-20 06:48:07

On Tuesday morning, the morning after the Cummings press conference, I went to do my supermarket food shop at 9.15, as I have been doing every Tuesday since lockdown. It’s usually quite quiet at that time and no elderly people at all.

However, this Tuesday there were so many elderly people there that I was shocked, it was like they had all suddenly been released! Not only the queues for supermarkets but the banks and post office too.

Whether this was a direct response to the Cummings Effect or not I don’t know but I think there was too much of a coincidence for it not to have been.

ladymuck Thu 28-May-20 06:53:43

If people want to risk their lives and those of their loved ones, let them. Us sensible ones will stick to the guidelines.

Sparkling Thu 28-May-20 07:02:47

Most grown ups know what's right and what's not. Just because someone Rob's a bank of attacks someone do you follow suit.? I find it ridiculous mentality this tit for tat. Move on.

Sparkling Thu 28-May-20 07:03:49

Lady Luck. Absolutely.

Anniebach Thu 28-May-20 09:08:04

Agree Sparkling