Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Easing the lockdown

(214 Posts)
MissAdventure Thu 28-May-20 22:44:01

Has anyone an uneasy feeling that it's happening deflect the uncomfortable questions boris and co are facing?

Whitewavemark2 Sat 30-May-20 19:17:52

This is why the scientists think we are easing too soon. I agree

Spain 2
Italy 87
Germany 24
France 52
Turkey 28
Belgium 42
Sweden 84
Portugal 14
Ireland 6
Poland 13
Romania 13
Hungary 8
Netherlands 28

UK 324

Pantglas2 Sat 30-May-20 18:43:09

No, our restrictions in Wales are actually quite lax in some respects - no face masks recommended, meeting any number of folks from another household etc.

Not sure about Scottish and Irish details but they’re nowhere near .5 either and they’re lifting things willy-nilly, just like the Tories! A week or so here or there isn’t a great reason to call one an idiot and t’others saints!

Pantglas2 Sat 30-May-20 18:37:07

That’s what I was trying to ascertain Sussex, whether the poster was being objective or partisan!

The trouble with using an argument in proving a partisan point is that someone neutral will come along and use the same argument against you! Such fun!

Barmeyoldbat Sat 30-May-20 18:36:31

No Pantglas2 but they are easing it much more cautiously, Wales has said schools will go back when the time is right and still has a pretty tight restriction on movement, this is the way England should have gone. But of course Boris is hoping to deflect Cummings lies.

Sussexborn Sat 30-May-20 18:32:32

Pantlas2: Do you also believe Foster, Drayford and Sturgeon to be idiots for easing lockdown in NI, Wales and Scotland when the R rate in those countries is nowhere near .5:

Rule No 1: Only Boris Johnson and Cummings are to be criticised on GN.

Pantglas2 Sat 30-May-20 17:40:41

Do you also believe Foster, Drayford and Sturgeon to be idiots for easing lockdown in NI, Wales and Scotland when the R rate in those countries is nowhere near .5, Barmeybat?

Barmeyoldbat Sat 30-May-20 17:00:34

Well said grow stuff. The lockdown has be eased far to quickly, it has taken how long in lockdown, 10 weeks or so to get the famous R rate just below 1 so we are returning to near back to normal with no room for mistakes. The R rate should be 0.5 or below before its eased, but the good old Boris doesn't think so, he knows best, I am afraid it won't end well and its scary to think that our ives in the hands of such an idiot.. Money is no good to you if you are dead.

growstuff Sat 30-May-20 16:40:50

More people than otherwise won't be living with the consequences of a bad recession because they'll be dead.

FoghornLeghorn Sat 30-May-20 16:08:00

FoghornLeghorn, yes, of course lockdown has to be lifted. We are not 'all in the same boat' however. A lot of us are retired and have the luxury of the choice to continue our isolation.

Yes, and I’m one of them so at higher risk because of my age. It doesn’t change my opinion and I won’t be self-isolating for any longer than I have to. I will take sensible precautions but refuse to live the rest of my life like a hermit.

Barmeyoldbat Sat 30-May-20 13:56:45

Hetty58. If your post is in reference to the post I wrote, then I will say I am neither ignorant off mental health or unaware on its effect on people, especially those suffering from domestic abuse. The ignorance lies with people who cannot post a reply without resorting to insults. My statement stands.

JenniferEccles Sat 30-May-20 12:02:52

lemongrove No !

It’s such a difficult balancing act for the Government but now is the time to concentrate on the economy or we will live with the consequences of a bad recession for years.

JenniferEccles Sat 30-May-20 12:02:51

lemongrove No !

It’s such a difficult balancing act for the Government but now is the time to concentrate on the economy or we will live with the consequences of a bad recession for years.

MissAdventure Sat 30-May-20 10:20:51

Meanwhile, public transport had taken things to a new level yesterday.

Every single seat had tape over it, yesterday, with a firm reminder of the distancing rules on it.

Everyone who got on wandered up and down cranking their necks to find one without tape. grin

maddyone Sat 30-May-20 10:18:54

My opinion on mental health is not expert, but I unfortunately have very wide experience of mental health difficulties in my family. Therefore I think I do know a bit more than some. Being sad or fed up is not clinical depression, but clinical depression can be brought on by grief after the loss of a family member. Easing lockdown will not improve or cure clinical depression, but appropriate medical treatments will.

Thank you for agreeing with me growstuff.

timetogo2016 Sat 30-May-20 10:07:15

Worried is an understatement,far too soon in my opinion.

Anniebach Sat 30-May-20 10:04:08

The Welsh Labour government wants to hide the Cummings
story ?

MissAdventure Sat 30-May-20 10:03:30

www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/coronavirus-live-pandemic-uk-lockdown-22105399

lemsip Sat 30-May-20 10:02:45

in my opinion, people should stop directing their post to another poster .

Whitewavemark2 Sat 30-May-20 09:56:15

Listening to Sunak it seems pretty obvious that he doesn’t expect the economy to pick up within the near or even distant future.

Not good for our grandchildren who have a large level of unemployment to deal with. Let’s hope the economy can begin gradually to grow as lockdown eases.

Of course of the economy took another hit........

Firecracker123 Sat 30-May-20 09:51:14

Why would Sturgeon want to hide the Dominic Cummings story that's rediculous, she'd say black was white to disagree with England and Boris. She's coming out of lockdown because it's the correct thing to do for the economy.

trisher Sat 30-May-20 09:48:54

Well there has to be some reason for ignoring the advice of many on SAGE. It might be Cummings or it might be financial, whatever the reason it seems quite bizarre to have a committee of experts and then ignore them.

MissAdventure Sat 30-May-20 09:46:50

I'll answer it, by saying it doesn't seem to a slow easing.

lemongrove Sat 30-May-20 09:44:36

Jennifer grin nobody wants to answer that one do they?

newgran2019 Sat 30-May-20 09:39:45

'I'm beginning to think that I should come off Gransnet, ... so sad that there are so many vitriolic & hate-filled posts... we all have to get through this... what happened to being kind?'

Well said; I am unsubscribing for that very reason. I wish you all well!

Rosalyn69 Sat 30-May-20 09:37:57

I agree this is probably an attempt to bury the Cummings story.
I have no idea how it will turn out.
Personally I have three more weeks indoors with one outing to the dog grooming parlour and one to meet two friends in the park.