Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Easing the lockdown

(214 Posts)
MissAdventure Thu 28-May-20 22:44:01

Has anyone an uneasy feeling that it's happening deflect the uncomfortable questions boris and co are facing?

Furret Sat 30-May-20 08:05:32

“This may sound harsh and I am not attempting to minimise the effect that these deaths have had but this is the reality”

Indeed it sounds harsh, and you are ‘attempting to minimise’ these deaths. If we are to bandy statistics I think you will find that the death rate varies wildly across the age groups but the general consensus is 1-1.5%. Of those who lost their lives 80% were over 65s according to recent estimates.

Life is precious. It’s not a commodity to be weighed up in terms of economics. Even the old, the vulnerable, the sad and the mad have the basic right to their lives no matter how little they matter to some others.

paddyanne Sat 30-May-20 08:11:00

I think a lot of us would have been happier if the government had waited until the deaths were a lot less than they are now.The main problem as far as I can see has been the media who have ramped it up with constant messages about the public having enough and needing it lifted.I dont belive that WAS the case until people heard that message several times a day .Certainly where I live there was no backlash at lockdown ,we realised it had to be doneand just got on with it,
The mainother prolem is it wasn't tough enough...although the police have been fining people and charging those who wouldn't comply or go back home the fines weren't enough to prevent the covidiots from jumping on trains or cycling well outwith their own areas.I sawa post yesterday where someone wanted to know where to take the kids this weekend and there were so many people saying take them to Loch Lomond that it was shocking...theres nothing open here ,takeaways and small supermarkets ..no toilets ..no slipways for the boats that queued up on the A82 .The main road..only road in should have been cordoned off to stop them ,hopefully it will be today .

Urmstongran Sat 30-May-20 08:24:38

Remember this date and wait 3-4 weeks watch as the virus starts to spread Ooh what a ray of sunshine you aren’t WWmk3
☹️

We’re off out now to sit and enjoy a coffee at a pavement cafe. Spain’s coronovirus numbers were super high too remember? People here are being sensible but are delighted to be moving out of lockdown at a pace now.

GrannyLaine Sat 30-May-20 08:56:41

@Hetty58
Jishere, there are many on GN who simply haven't a clue but like to give their 'expert' opinion. Just ignore them as they'll never change - or go away. I think of them as small children 'chipping in' to an adult conversation. Their level of ignorance is astonishing.

You are so right, very well put.

MissAdventure Sat 30-May-20 09:05:45

I'm not sure any on here are experts on anything much, but everyone in the world is entitled to an opinion.

growstuff Sat 30-May-20 09:19:24

maddyone I agree with you absolutely. There is a huge difference between long-term chronic mental ill health and feeling sad because you miss your family. I have an issue because I see so many articles about "feeling low" or "being blue" and how a few simple measures can lift mood. People overuse "I am so depressed", etc.

I also agree that long-term unemployment and loneliness, with all the possible implications, could very well trigger depression. That has always been the case, but people have so often dismissed it. It really does seem that people are using mental health to achieve what they want, which is lifting lockdown.

It's a balancing act and needs to be set against the real grief caused by losing a close friend or relative from the disease.

lemongrove Sat 30-May-20 09:22:28

Well, I would certainly agree with you on that MissA ?

MissAdventure Sat 30-May-20 09:25:58

smile

BlueSky Sat 30-May-20 09:28:31

Exactly MissA !
Wow Urms!
I feel England have eased the lockdown too early especially the unrestricted travel, while you could say Scotland,Wales and NI haven't eased enough. Still I guess they have their good reasons for doing so. Anyway we are moving forward.

albertina Sat 30-May-20 09:29:52

Absolutely. Anything to deflect attention.
I normally live alone, but have been shielded with my family and haven't set foot in a shop for over 2 months.
I have met up with an old school friend in a park. We kept to the rules but it was hard as we always hug when we meet.
I am very nervous about resuming normal life back in my home.
The posts here are always a help to me. Thank you.

hereshoping Sat 30-May-20 09:31:45

Far too early, and seems like a panic move, probably due to Cummings and the economy.
I'm planning to do an audit of my lockdown stores today and to start building up again.
Previously , I stocked up at least a month before lockdown came in.

lemsip Sat 30-May-20 09:34:40

the point of lockdown was to prevent the hospitals being overwhelmed and unable to cope with the number of patients. By having lockdown not so many got infected so was successful though huge number of deaths still! why can't that be understood!

JenniferEccles Sat 30-May-20 09:37:53

So Wales, Scotland and NI are ALL slowly coming out of lockdown purely and simply to deflect the attention from Dominic Cummings?

Does anyone honestly believe that rubbish?

Apparently so as it’s been mentioned a few times on here.

Heaven help us!

Rosalyn69 Sat 30-May-20 09:37:57

I agree this is probably an attempt to bury the Cummings story.
I have no idea how it will turn out.
Personally I have three more weeks indoors with one outing to the dog grooming parlour and one to meet two friends in the park.

newgran2019 Sat 30-May-20 09:39:45

'I'm beginning to think that I should come off Gransnet, ... so sad that there are so many vitriolic & hate-filled posts... we all have to get through this... what happened to being kind?'

Well said; I am unsubscribing for that very reason. I wish you all well!

lemongrove Sat 30-May-20 09:44:36

Jennifer grin nobody wants to answer that one do they?

MissAdventure Sat 30-May-20 09:46:50

I'll answer it, by saying it doesn't seem to a slow easing.

trisher Sat 30-May-20 09:48:54

Well there has to be some reason for ignoring the advice of many on SAGE. It might be Cummings or it might be financial, whatever the reason it seems quite bizarre to have a committee of experts and then ignore them.

Firecracker123 Sat 30-May-20 09:51:14

Why would Sturgeon want to hide the Dominic Cummings story that's rediculous, she'd say black was white to disagree with England and Boris. She's coming out of lockdown because it's the correct thing to do for the economy.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 30-May-20 09:56:15

Listening to Sunak it seems pretty obvious that he doesn’t expect the economy to pick up within the near or even distant future.

Not good for our grandchildren who have a large level of unemployment to deal with. Let’s hope the economy can begin gradually to grow as lockdown eases.

Of course of the economy took another hit........

lemsip Sat 30-May-20 10:02:45

in my opinion, people should stop directing their post to another poster .

MissAdventure Sat 30-May-20 10:03:30

www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/coronavirus-live-pandemic-uk-lockdown-22105399

Anniebach Sat 30-May-20 10:04:08

The Welsh Labour government wants to hide the Cummings
story ?

timetogo2016 Sat 30-May-20 10:07:15

Worried is an understatement,far too soon in my opinion.

maddyone Sat 30-May-20 10:18:54

My opinion on mental health is not expert, but I unfortunately have very wide experience of mental health difficulties in my family. Therefore I think I do know a bit more than some. Being sad or fed up is not clinical depression, but clinical depression can be brought on by grief after the loss of a family member. Easing lockdown will not improve or cure clinical depression, but appropriate medical treatments will.

Thank you for agreeing with me growstuff.