Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Good news for those living alone.....but

(229 Posts)
Kate54 Wed 10-Jun-20 18:23:31

Great news from BJ this afternoon for people living alone - they can join another household, stay overnight, no need for social distancing, Unless they’re shielding - maybe some news for those people next week.
Can’t help wondering, though..... I can visit one person in his or her house. But I can’t visit my completely empty holiday home.
BJ did say there were still plenty of ‘anomalies’. Too right.

MissAdventure Wed 10-Jun-20 19:33:36

Be careful, growstuff
What do get when you meet a guy?
A guy with a pin, to burst your bubble.

Kate54 Wed 10-Jun-20 19:36:26

Showing your age there Missadventure!

MissAdventure Wed 10-Jun-20 19:37:28

I was an early developer, thank you very much! grin

Kate54 Wed 10-Jun-20 19:39:05

Kate1949 goodness knows. I don’t think it was implied that the joining of bubbles had to be a permanent arrangement... but could be wrong. Maybe it will be clarified later.

Lucca Wed 10-Jun-20 19:39:33

Kate54. I thought you had to stick to one bubble. Are you saying I can visit one day and ex another day ? Doesn’t make sense.

Knittynatter Wed 10-Jun-20 19:41:35

Out of all my grandchildren there is only one that has cried because she misses me and always asks if we can hug if we socially distanced chat. I am being allowed a garden visit to give her a great big hug next week!
I can’t wait. I’ve not hugged anyone since 20th March and I’ve also had a lock down birthday.
Whatever Boris says we also have to be mindful of other households considerations. I will take whatever I am allowed

Bumboseat1 Wed 10-Jun-20 19:45:30

I’m confused, can I bubble with another bubble person but leave my hubby at home

MissAdventure Wed 10-Jun-20 19:46:27

Don't you want a hubby bubble?

Hetty58 Wed 10-Jun-20 20:01:20

Bumboseat1, it seems that, if your other 'bubble person' is lonely and lives alone - yes you can! Of course, once you leave hubby alone, he qualifies too!

There will be all kinds of mischief in these bubbles, I should think!

wendyann23 Wed 10-Jun-20 20:05:04

Oh I’m so excited! I’m in a bubble! Off to see my son, his wife and my lovely grandchildren on Saturday. Will have been 4 months since I have seen them.

EllanVannin Wed 10-Jun-20 20:13:00

Are they really wanting a few more of us to die before their time ?

Will it mean a 2 week isolation after each visit ? Each of us taking our temperatures each day? Kids carry germs when they're at school especially. I want to see my GGC, the twins but know I'd have sleepless nights wondering----------I'm one of those who'd be a total wreck considering how ill I was at the end of December and into mid-February. Another of those do's and I'll be a goner.

Maybe there'd be a difference if we were tested, preferably for antibodies. Everything's ar*e about face.

Iam64 Wed 10-Jun-20 20:14:24

How do people decide who is to be in their bubble. Two of our small grandchildren have three lots of grandparents. Two sets of those grandparents have other children and grandchildren. Judgement of Solomon?

Our other two small grandchildren have two sets of grandparents, one pair shielding, the other pair caring for a shielding relative.

I'm the shielding grannie so no change for me. I remain in my own bubble but luckily share this with my husband. This means I'm not totally isolated but it also means he can't cuddle our grandchildren, or help out with much needed child care either.

ginny Wed 10-Jun-20 20:22:50

A single person living on their own or a single parent plus children can visit one other household. They can be inside and may stay overnight .They cannot change their mind and decided to visit a different one.

I think there may be a lot of family angst( and maybe arguments) about who is going to have Mum/Dad visit or which child Mum or Dad are going to choose.

BlueBelle Wed 10-Jun-20 20:25:47

I don’t get it at all if I go to my daughters house she’s still working and her kids so that wouldn’t work would it ?

wendyann are you sure it means you can meet four people I must have misunderstood the instructions which as usual are as clear as mud If any of those four people are working or out and about how could you still be safe ?

None of it makes sense I m just going to carry on going out each day, meeting anyone at a distance and not go into houses
No way have I gone through all this only to get it now

Kate1949 Wed 10-Jun-20 20:26:45

Thanks Kate54 I assumed he just meant one bubble.

MamaCaz Wed 10-Jun-20 20:45:29

The more I look into this, the harder it is to know whether the interpretation of a bubble given in most papers (and the BBC), whereby only one of the two households must be a single adult household and the other can be a multi-person household, is correct or not.

I think it is going to need official clarification!

BlueBelle Wed 10-Jun-20 20:48:07

But my question is do the people you have decided to join with have to be indoor people too because if they are out and about aren’t you still in danger even more if you’ve cuddled them ???
Or have I got this wrong it all seems so woolly

growstuff Wed 10-Jun-20 20:51:51

grin MissAdventure I've met too many guys who've burst my bubble, so maybe I'll give it a miss.

growstuff Wed 10-Jun-20 20:53:34

I foresee lots of hubble bubble toil and trouble.

Swingers won't be happy about this! hmm

MissAdventure Wed 10-Jun-20 21:07:18

I took the single parent part to mean that they are included as a family in their own right, as if it was just clarifying use of the word 'family'.

MaizieD Wed 10-Jun-20 21:26:26

I got the impression that it has to be two single person households, though the single adult/s may have children.

Kate54 Wed 10-Jun-20 21:32:45

I’ll watch Newsnight and find out. But I’m pretty sure this is to allow a single person household (e.g. grandma living alone) or a single parent to bubble up with another household of any size.
What I do know is that I’m hoping the rest of us can see our grandchildren soon. Meanwhile, I hope there are lots of lovely reunions this weekend.

BlueBelle Wed 10-Jun-20 21:40:17

That’s how I read it kate but surely that would only work if the family the grandma was visiting hadn’t been out and about Surely if any of them had been out shopping work or school that could impinge on the grandmas health

farmor51 Wed 10-Jun-20 21:42:24

Hetty58 I had the same thought but felt that even a politician couldn’t be that cynical. But maybe they are prepared to sacrifice yet more oldies in order to get the economy going. They should get the schools started and keep them open throughout the summer holidays.

Dollymc2 Wed 10-Jun-20 21:46:29

The fact that we are having a discussion about what the latest guidelines mean, surely tells it's own story
Mixed messages, obfuscation and yes, just telling lies
This is such a hard and worrying time, made worse by a Prime Minister and Government who are not to be trusted