Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

I have an appointment with my hairdresser!!

(93 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Fri 12-Jun-20 14:52:24

16th July. All being well.

Been given full instructions on how to enter the building and what to wear, which is mask and gloves.

She will be in full face mask as well as mouth mask plus apron, plus gloves.

Many less appointments available as time has to be allowed for full cleaning between appointments. Brushes and combs sterilised etc.

What a palaver!! All in the interests of vanity?

Lulubelle500 Sat 13-Jun-20 13:16:19

I can hear my hair salon being converted to guidelines when I walk past on my way to the supermarket! I feel a bit nervous about taking the plunge (as it were!) but am beginning to resemble a sheepdog so will book a cut asap. My DH wants me to wait (what for, I wonder) and says he would love to give me a cut, 'As If' I tell him!

CleoPanda Sat 13-Jun-20 12:33:40

Have been home colouring and trimming hair for 25 years so nothing has changed.
Nothing would induce me to visit a salon of any kind until there’s a vaccine.
Are they going to change their PPE for every customer? Will they do temperature checks on staff and customers? Will they wash down each and every item after use? Will there be no talking?
I just can’t imagine how this can be considered safe yet!
Believe me you do not want to catch this awful virus.

Daftbag1 Sat 13-Jun-20 12:32:10

Me too for 24th July, and not a day too soon!

BlueSky Sat 13-Jun-20 12:22:48

Well done 00mam and why not? Just as some people are free to embrace their grey, others (like me) are free to embrace their red, purple, green!

Thisismyname1953 Sat 13-Jun-20 12:22:14

My son in law is having a black market haircut later today ?.
It’s not his usual hairdresser but needs must, he has very thick hair and if it grows even an inch too long it resembles a hat .

sodapop Sat 13-Jun-20 12:19:33

Your hairdresser is taking all precautions Whitewave she will be wearing more PPE than my dentist did.
It's a strange feeling having your hair washed and cut whilst wearing a mask but the end result is worth it.

MTDancer Sat 13-Jun-20 12:09:47

I haven't been to hairdresser since 24th October as cant afford it

Gwenisgreat1 Sat 13-Jun-20 11:47:01

Well i have a bird's nest on my head, it will continue till the chicks have hatched out (I jest). I have cut it myself a bit, but i am no expert. What will be, will be, but i'm not in a rush to go to the hairdresser.

Juicylucy Sat 13-Jun-20 11:42:20

I’m with Luckygirl. Definitely won’t get me in a hairdressers I’ve managed for 12 weeks I’ll mange for another 12. Far to much close contact for me.

Growing0ldDisgracefully Sat 13-Jun-20 11:41:11

SueDoku I was just about to ask the same question, including how are the hairdressers able to wash and cut hair with the customer's's mask in the way?

SueDoku Sat 13-Jun-20 11:38:54

Haven't heard from my hairdresser (yet) but as she is a small independent salon with only two employees, I'm not even sure whether she'll be re-opening...☹️?
One thing puzzles me - if I'm wearing a mask, how on earth will she be able to cut my hair..? shock
I've - normally - got a short, neat cut, and it's razor-cut...so how's that going to work when she's trimming round my ears..? Also, for some reason, my ears simply won't support the elastics on a mask - they just sort of fold forward and it slips off - so my masks tie around the back of my head -- aaaargh...!!!

mphammersley Sat 13-Jun-20 11:21:42

No news from my hairdresser yet, but she has my email so I am waiting to see what is offered. I had a standard bob before lockdown, so it is not too difficult to keep reasonably tidy, although it has decided it likes the idea of being curly, while I do not! My problem is my roots, grey roots and blonde highlighted hair! It is not long enough yet to be drastic and have all the colour cut out and embrace the grey! But it could be getting close, never had that nearly bald look before, so I am soooo undecided. If they limited the time for my appointment having my roots done may not be an option anyway! Not even venturing to the shops at the moment, but having my hair done could lift my spirits, or send me into a complete decline if I make the wrong decision!! Family tell me I will look like an old granny if I let it go grey, I tell them I am an old granny, and grey is a very trendy colour at the moment.

Keep smiling ladies, we are all beautiful, and all of this will soon be a distant memory! Take lots of care x

Nannan2 Sat 13-Jun-20 11:17:08

Oh, 00mam00, you cheered me up! gringrin

Nannan2 Sat 13-Jun-20 11:14:40

All the interesting things, hairdressers, pubs, restaurants,etc. are to be opened a day AFTER my blinking birthday!!!angry

Craicon Sat 13-Jun-20 11:12:52

I hope those hairdressers working through lockdown get fined for breaking the rules. They’re letting down the profession by risking spreading the virus and thinking the rules don’t apply to them.
A barber was recently fined £4000 so it does happen.

00mam00 Sat 13-Jun-20 11:10:10

I have gone the opposite to many of you and taken the opportunity of not going out for several months, to dye my hair red. I am 73 with salt and pepper hair and am just having fun with a different look. Now I am a little embarrassed to be seen as I look like a retired brothel keeper, but only a few more months for it to grow out (I wear my hair very short).

It sounds as if a lot of colourists will be short of work.

Sooze58 Sat 13-Jun-20 10:58:39

Me too on 9th July. I’m so excited!!

Lexisgranny Sat 13-Jun-20 10:57:58

Can anyone tell me the latest ruling on mobile hairdressers, hopefully for the benefit of all Gransnetters in all the Uk, I realise there may be differences.

Harris27 Sat 13-Jun-20 10:50:30

My hairdresser comes to my house so don’t know when I’ll be able to get my hair done!

Craftycat Sat 13-Jun-20 10:50:06

So jealous!
My hairdresser is a friend who does my hair on her home. I was really looking forward to seeing her next month but she is taking a family holiday. I have coloured it myself but it really needs a cut. It grows so fast.

Rumpunch Sat 13-Jun-20 10:43:51

I've decided to give up on having my hair coloured. I only ever had a semi-permanent colour every other visit ( about 10 weeks) Hubby is due to retire and so the saving will be good and being as I've gone so far I decided to carry on!
My hairdresser told me I was her third client to tell her that.!!

rowanflower0 Sat 13-Jun-20 10:43:31

My hairdresser in anticipating Boris opening them, and texted me. She said she could do me a cut, wash, blowdry on the 6th July or a cut and colour on the 7th, so went for that, but won't my mask get in the way?
I've got a painting tutorial booked for the 17th, too - just 2 of us in her outside studio (glorified summerhouse) to socially distance.

Patricia59 Sat 13-Jun-20 10:37:26

I have a hairdressing appointment 8th July. So looking forward to it.

4allweknow Sat 13-Jun-20 10:36:05

Gave up the colouring a year ago and went platinum whilst grey took over. Best thing I could have done. Just been hacking away at my now overgrown bob this morning as a bit too heavy at sides. Not a bad job! Fringe is easy as I usually do have a snip between hairdressers visits. Will leave the hairdresser for a couple of months to see if everything stays settles once all the new "freedoms" are in place.

Caro57 Sat 13-Jun-20 10:35:18

No hairdresser appointment but have been called for cervical screening - hey ho grin