Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

I have an appointment with my hairdresser!!

(93 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Fri 12-Jun-20 14:52:24

16th July. All being well.

Been given full instructions on how to enter the building and what to wear, which is mask and gloves.

She will be in full face mask as well as mouth mask plus apron, plus gloves.

Many less appointments available as time has to be allowed for full cleaning between appointments. Brushes and combs sterilised etc.

What a palaver!! All in the interests of vanity?

Bluecat Sat 13-Jun-20 16:11:19

Are hairdressers re-opening? I must have missed that one. Not that it matters to me. I don't care if my hair grows down to my ankles, I don't want someone coming so close to me. Particularly someone who has been in close physical contact with lots of other people. I will wait.

Patsy429 Sat 13-Jun-20 17:05:07

I bumped into one of the hairdressers from my salon in the supermarket today. I told her not to look at my hair as I had been hacking at it (but looks quite reasonable1). She said not to worry as most people seem to be doing that. But no sign in Wales when they will be open.

AlisonKF Sat 13-Jun-20 17:36:30

My home hairdresser rang and offered a perm on 1st July. Hooray. She is still wondering if this is OK though. My kitchen where she does it, is far from clean, and worse lately. I shall cover everything with plastic sheeting. I am one of a few privileged customers as she is officially retired.

Parky Sat 13-Jun-20 17:56:29

We are ahead of UKwith no new cases for 20 days, so most restrictions lifted on Monday. Manicure Monday, hairdresser Tuesday then out to dinner with family on Wednesday can't wait.

Just dreading government opening borders in the future and letting 2nd wave in.

Saggi Sat 13-Jun-20 18:01:35

I have a hairdresser come to house as she does husband and me.... she called me 5 weeks ago and said did I want her to ‘pop round’ as she’s seeing four others on same day. I said “no thank you” ..... I feel I should report her to somebody , but who!?

Molli Sat 13-Jun-20 18:06:39

Totally had enough of my hair looking and feeling awful. Last cut was just before Easter and the next one was due at Easter so that one was missed. 6 months on and its annoying me. After a glass of wine for dutch courage and a search on YouTube I asked DH if he would cut it. We followed the video and he cut 3 inches off! Now have a long bob. It feels and looks soooooo much better. Go us!!! grin

Esspee Sat 13-Jun-20 18:24:34

I’ve always coloured my hair myself. I use half a pack so it costs me about £4 and it looks much more natural than my friends who have it professionally done. For some reason hairdressers seem to strip the natural colour then replace it with the new colour. DIY colouring is gentler leaving a natural multi tonal effect.
When I do decide to visit my hairdresser I intend to wash and condition it at home myself to limit the time spent in the salon.

BlueSky Sun 14-Jun-20 08:11:26

Same here Esspee!

Tangerine Sun 14-Jun-20 10:07:01

Saggi - yes, you probably ought to report her to someone but I honestly think the Police have got enough to do with other criminal activity. I don't think, from what I've read and heard, that they want to be bothered with things like this.

Do you want to keep her as your hairdresser? If so, you don't want to fall out with her.

I've seen people in my road congregating in groups and doing other things which are not right but I just ignore it.

Janebuck Sun 14-Jun-20 10:43:25

?

olliebeak Sun 14-Jun-20 13:34:45

I'm not at all worried about the colour of my hair! I rather like my grey bits - including my 'Mallen Streak' inherited from my mother wink grin.

I'm more concerned about the length being out of control sad. Last trim was on 24th January and it's normally done every six weeks to keep it well-shaped.

I usually have an elegant 'Emma Willis-style Quiff' - now I look like Ringo Starr from the mid-60s

encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcTm5WxUUdPZWUJb_tYLt20Iohq8-Rvzk5gLZ8i7m9nmL8W0uCAT&usqp=CAU

encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcRgevq3ZXSFKWilLNiIzanI7nZd2WnuCdsR9VoHkZnw0tXswt3Z&usqp=CAU

Kim19 Sun 14-Jun-20 14:13:49

When allowed, my hairdresser plans to cut my hair in either the garden or garage, weather dictating. I plan to have a shower immediately before her arrival rendering my hair damp. I will cover myself with a bus tourist all-encompassing plastic cape and hold my mask in place when the ear bands become a problem. Certainly not ideal but well needed for both of us. Where there's a will......

Sussexborn Sun 14-Jun-20 17:52:31

Our local police authority has a place on their website where you can report people/shops etc but I doubt they have time to deal with individual neighbours flouting the rules. Two barbers have been shut down here but no mention of a fine though that might come later. Not only cutting one customer’s hair but had others waiting their turn.

My hairdresser has had heart problems and diabetes. Until recently he worked from a salon set up in what was previously the garage. He and his partner have recently moved to a house miles out in the country and he had a chair in quite a small existing hairdressers. I’ve only been there once before lockdown but it was too close for comfort even then, without all the recent rules being in place. He only charges £30 for cut and colour which he does extremely well, but seems to be more of a 3 day a week hobby rather than a profit making venture. The better salons locally charge about £120 for the same service but that seems extortionate to me.

Apart from cancelling my appointment, which was due the first few days of lockdown, we haven’t been in touch. Guess I’ll have to start asking around but not in a great hurry.

MawB Sun 14-Jun-20 19:24:26

Blow the hairdresser - my neighbour has a slot AT THE TIP ! Not for another three weeks mind you..... but still envyenvy

EmilyHarburn Mon 15-Jun-20 11:51:24

My hairdresser has been in touch to say that they hope to be up an running in July. I reminded her that in 2011 she used to be a mobile hairdresser and did me at home. She is happy to do me in my conservatory when the time comes. this saves, parking the car, getting into the salon, waiting, being done and leaving etc. I think it must be safer. I bought a hairdresser cape and basic tools incase she wants to use mine.

annodomini Mon 15-Jun-20 12:34:10

I've just tried to book on line with my hairdresser but it says I can book from 1st October by which time I will certainly be sporting a pony tail. sad

PamelaJ1 Mon 15-Jun-20 13:26:05

I’ve just booked in my first clients on the 6th July, however, we have all agreed that the appointments will be cancelled if I’m still not allowed to touch them.