Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Coincidence or....?

(112 Posts)
Lizbethann55 Thu 18-Jun-20 15:58:58

I have 2 DDs. Both married and living a couple of miles apart and we all see each other a lot. Way back at the start of February both of them had really bad sore throats and temperatures. DD1 was told by her GP that she had tonsilitis. She had two lots of antibiotics and was off work for over two weeks. DD2 was told by her GP that she had a viral throat infection . She had had her tonsils out a few years ago. She was also very poorly. At much the same time DD2's baby boy had the most awful bright red, weeping rash everywhere, even in his mouth. A trip to childrens a&e and we were told it was probably hand, foot and mouth disease. It was weeks before he was better and the rash finally disappeared. I hadn't really given it another thought until this week. DD2 is a front line NHS worker at the local hospital. As such, on Monday she had a Corona antibodies test at work. The results came back, and amazingly she does have antibodies! Does this mean she has had it, and if so when? Could it have been when she and her sister were both ill, even though it was before Corona officially reached our shores? And has our DGS had a variant of it too? I doubt we will ever know, but I wondered if any of you have similar experiences or thoughts.

Saxifrage Thu 18-Jun-20 16:34:36

Yes, my dil had pneumonia starting just before Christmas, she was very ill for some weeks and exhausted afterwards. My daughter had a cough again starting around Christmas and that has still not completely gone but she didn't feel ill for more than a few days. Rest of both families have been fine throughout! Another close friend also had pneumonia around Christmas, he is our generation and still not completely recovered. As you say, interesting coincidence!

Luckygirl Thu 18-Jun-20 16:36:53

My OH died of pneumonia at the beginning of February. I do sometimes wonder if it was Covid.

AGAA4 Thu 18-Jun-20 16:37:46

In February my daughter had a high temperature and lost her sense of taste and smell. Sounds like Covid to me.
She has had an antibody test at the hospital where she works but the results aren't back yet.

I think it has been around longer than we think.

annep1 Thu 18-Jun-20 17:44:57

Yes. Late December my husband was in bed for days with a high temperature and virus type illness. I took it - I never take viruses. My sister and her gs. also and a neighbour. We have all wondered.

Lizbethann55 Thu 18-Jun-20 18:13:56

Thank you. Thinking about it DD2 also said she lost her sense of smell. So much so that DGS leaked very smelly pooh (sorry) out of his nappy and she didn't realise until she felt it on her knee as she couldn't smell it!

Kate1949 Thu 18-Jun-20 18:24:57

At Christmas, my DD was very poorly. She had a pounding head, a fever, a cough and difficulty breathing. She suffers with asthma and has two different inhalers. The inhalers didn't help with her breathing. SIL called 111 but they were unhelpful. They were frightened. In the end, SIL took her to hospital but they said it was 'probably flu'. Fortunately she eventually recovered and is convinced she had the virus.

MamaCaz Thu 18-Jun-20 18:38:41

I could be mistaken, but I think that it is now officially known, or at least very strongly suspected, that the virus was present here earlier than was first thought. I have read various articles /reports to that effect.

Interestingly, when I had the coronavirus test a few weeks ago (for the illness, not the antibodies) , the questionnaire that I had to fill in asked about symptoms that I had experienced since last November!

CanadianGran Thu 18-Jun-20 18:43:01

I also believe it has been around longer than officially reported.

A young healthy co-worker was travelling in Greece last fall and came down with a virus that landed her is hospital because she 'couldn't breathe'. She spent her whole holiday in either hospital or hotel in bed. She said she was fearful of dying; she was so ill.

She took months to fully recover. Her fiance did not get ill though, and it seems she did not pass along her illness to anyone here. Perhaps the contagious period passed while still in Greece.

EllanVannin Thu 18-Jun-20 18:49:25

My " lurgy " started late December and would you believe that I'm still " not as I was ?" It affected my legs---circulation.
I cut a piece out of the newspaper the other day about a professor who'd contracted the virus in March 19th and still feels unwell. His name is Paul Garner and he spoke of weird symptoms.

EllanVannin Thu 18-Jun-20 18:51:42

My step-daughter caught what I'd had and isn't the same either, 6 months later.

BlueSky Thu 18-Jun-20 18:55:11

My DH had the most awful hacking cough in February which cleared just before lockdown, while I had days of sore throat. Just wondering.

SparklyGrandma Thu 18-Jun-20 18:57:38

Some people experience covid with a horrible rash, Lizbbethan55, your DGS may well be considered as having suspected covid.

It will maybe be reassuring when antibody tests are widely available. Especially since a minority may well be left with after effects or ongoing problems, which may be or can be poo pooed if there is no evidence through adequate antibody testing.

SueDonim Thu 18-Jun-20 19:02:36

We had weird illnesses around Xmas , then I had another in March in which I lost my sense of taste and smell, which still hasn’t come back properly.

I’m doubtful it’s Covid, though, as I know a few people who’ve had similar and had testing because of their work but a/b tests came back negative. Maybe that‘s because they haven’t developed immunity, though. We’ve still so much to learn about this illness.

Susan56 Thu 18-Jun-20 19:31:04

My husband and myself were both very ill at Christmas with a flu like illness.We were really ill for about four weeks but are still not back to full health.Still have a cough and get tired quite quickly.
My husband ended up in A and E.We were there for hours.He had a chest X-ray and blood tests then we were whisked out of the waiting room into a side room and he was given a face mask to wear.
We have never been given the full results of the tests he had, told it was a virus.

MerylStreep Thu 18-Jun-20 22:02:19

As we now know the virus affected athletes at the world military games held in wuhan in October 2019 ( evidence given by French and Spanish athletes)
Look at the aerial photos of parking at 5 wuhan hospitals compared to the year before.
I'm convinced that I, and several friends had it before Xmas. I have little sense of taste or smell.

lemongrove Thu 18-Jun-20 22:16:05

To add to that...DH had a cough in December ( around the 18th) and then soon developed a worrying temperature and went downhill fast.I called the GP who came and then he requested an ambulance.The upshot was that DH spent five days in ICU with pneumonia then a few days on the ward before coming home again.He was told he was very lucky to have survived it and it could take six months to fully recover.
It’s taken five months.
He never had flu ( which sometimes goes into pneumonia) just a cough and then a very high temp.
He does wonder if he has antibodies now, or if he is more susceptible, so is shielding ( we both are.)

lemongrove Thu 18-Jun-20 22:17:12

We had both had the pneumonia jab a couple of years ago.

Callistemon Thu 18-Jun-20 22:53:24

I was ill over Christmas with the same symptoms and only realised that my loss of sense of smell could have been a symptom.
A woman I had spent time with a few days before I got the dry cough and felt really poorly was hospitalised with pneumonia then died suddenly. It was a shock but I now wonder if she had COVID19.
Our local hospital had an early spike of cases.

If I had the test and found I had antibodies perhaps I could relax a bit more.

welbeck Fri 19-Jun-20 02:49:38

i was just reading that people with blood group O seem to be more resistant, whereas blood group A are more badly affected.
any link there ?
and the vitamin D deficiency. that of the hospital admissions, those that were Vit D deficient were almost bound to die. whereas v few of those who had enough died.
anyone else read that recently? have i got that right ? (bit late night.)

GrandmaKT Fri 19-Jun-20 05:06:53

I'm just wondering why all the people who suspect they might have had it don't just get a test and then they will know? Or isn't it that easy in the UK?

Ohmother Fri 19-Jun-20 07:03:17

I’m sure me and DH had it in January. Absolutely exhausted with a dry cough. I returned to work to find about 50% of the staff absent with similar symptoms. I’m diabetic and my sugar readings have shot up plus I got a strange lumpy, itchy rash on my lower leg.

fevertree Fri 19-Jun-20 07:17:22

GrandmaKT antibody tests are not yet widely available to anyone in the UK.
SueDonim my daughter works in the NHS and became very ill with Covid symptoms. She recovered and has recently been tested for antibodies. The results came back negative. The consultant who did her test explained at length to her why this might be - dependent on viral load etc. She was quite disappointed that she couldn't claim to have antibodies, but grateful to have perhaps had it quite mildly, despite being very ill.

kissngate Fri 19-Jun-20 07:24:15

Lizbethann - your GS most likely had hand foot mouth in February as my young GD did. Never seen a rash like it before particularly nasty around mouth and bum. Doctor said there was an outbreak in the area.

BlueSky Fri 19-Jun-20 07:30:34

Rather worried about reading that people with blood group A are more badly affected, also people on blood pressure medication plus my age (70) as I've got all three! I wonder how much scientific evidence is in all this?