Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Coincidence or....?

(113 Posts)
Lizbethann55 Thu 18-Jun-20 15:58:58

I have 2 DDs. Both married and living a couple of miles apart and we all see each other a lot. Way back at the start of February both of them had really bad sore throats and temperatures. DD1 was told by her GP that she had tonsilitis. She had two lots of antibiotics and was off work for over two weeks. DD2 was told by her GP that she had a viral throat infection . She had had her tonsils out a few years ago. She was also very poorly. At much the same time DD2's baby boy had the most awful bright red, weeping rash everywhere, even in his mouth. A trip to childrens a&e and we were told it was probably hand, foot and mouth disease. It was weeks before he was better and the rash finally disappeared. I hadn't really given it another thought until this week. DD2 is a front line NHS worker at the local hospital. As such, on Monday she had a Corona antibodies test at work. The results came back, and amazingly she does have antibodies! Does this mean she has had it, and if so when? Could it have been when she and her sister were both ill, even though it was before Corona officially reached our shores? And has our DGS had a variant of it too? I doubt we will ever know, but I wondered if any of you have similar experiences or thoughts.

Callistemon Sat 20-Jun-20 11:29:25

Seefah do you think you had COVID19 twice or do you think the first illness was another virus with a cough?
Interesting, because I had the worst cough I've ever had after I was ill in December and can still hear my URT squeaking sometimes.

EmilyHarburn Sat 20-Jun-20 11:32:25

I returned from Australia via Singapore airport in October. Later I went to bed with a chest infection which took time to get over. As a result I told friends I would not join them at a Choir performance as I did not want to give it to them.

magshard20 Sat 20-Jun-20 16:46:02

GrandmaKT......nothing is made easy in the UK !! We get told things and then 2 days later we get told the exact opposite, conflicting information all the time, government can't decide amongst themselves what info to put out, I think the majority of people in the UK just want a government that tells us the truth, where we are up to in the fight against Covid-19, and advises us confidently and correctly. But we get bumbling Boris and his party of clowns messing our lives up!! Interestingly I was speaking to an older gentleman in his 80's when out shopping last week (socially distanced of course) he told me that he had been very ill before Xmas with the symptoms we are seeing for Covid-19, went to his GP, was told he had a virus but the GP "didn't know which one" ....... I really think this has been around for a lot longer than we are being told.

MamaCaz Sat 20-Jun-20 20:08:08

Callistemon

Seefah do you think you had COVID19 twice or do you think the first illness was another virus with a cough?
Interesting, because I had the worst cough I've ever had after I was ill in December and can still hear my URT squeaking sometimes.

That's interesting, about the squeaking URT.
I have mentioned on other threads that I had strange symptons back in February, including fluid in my lungs (which could so easily have led to pneumonia), and am still aware sometimes, normally when in bed, of squeaking noises!

Callistemon Sat 20-Jun-20 20:25:32

It's when all is quiet, DH has gone upstairs and I am sitting looking at GN (hmm) and I can hear this squeaking in my URT.
I had never been prone to chest infections. When I had the virus at Christmas it seemed very unusual for me to have such problems and I was more concerned that DH would catch it. He did but wasn't as ill as I was.

Callistemon Sat 20-Jun-20 20:26:26

It's 6 months tomorrow since I first got a dry cough, MamaCaz.

Gilmul Sat 20-Jun-20 21:02:45

BBC world corona virus update with regular info from WHO has announced in last couple of days that sewage/waste water samples taken in DECEMBER 2019 from MILAN , TURIN and BOLOGNA have tested positive for Covid 19, yet officially the outbreak started in FEBRUARY. Testing sewage water samples had been proven to be reliable in monitoring the spread of Covid through cities lately. So all the above posts citing Dec illnesses etc are prob correct in my opinion. It’s been in Europe a lot longer than previously thought .

Flygirl Sun 21-Jun-20 00:50:04

My daughter and I were very, very poorly mid October to the end of November last year with what I would describe as Covid symptoms. We both ended up eventually at the out of hours GP in the A&E department of our local hospital. Mine had turned to pleurisy. Daughter had 2 lots of antibiotics which didn't do much at all. We felt dreadful. They now reckon it could have been hanging around as far back as September last year. I am airline cabin crew so it woyld have been easy for me to puck it up. We are convinced we had it then, before we knew anything about it.

Flygirl Sun 21-Jun-20 00:50:44

Sorry for the typos above

Grandma2213 Sun 21-Jun-20 02:50:19

This post has really made me think. I always felt it must have reached the UK long before the first announcements. However looking back I realise I had the most unusual sore throat for about a week in February. I could not swallow at all, even warm drinks or ice lollies which have helped in the past. I also had a cough but rarely gave in to it because it hurt my throat so much. Then I had conjunctivitis. I have never had a cold, sore throat, infection or anything like that for years so I kept saying, 'This feels different'.
One of my sons who also is never ill had a persistent cough for weeks, as did his partner. They put it down to their one year old baby bringing back bugs from nursery. Then same baby developed what was diagnosed (by telephone) with Hand, Foot and Mouth at the beginning of March. Another son and partner also had a cough for weeks. The mother of my other grandchildren was ill with a chest infection and cough for weeks too. She was the only one who finally went to the GP and the rest of us soldiered on as I am sure many others did so there will be no real record of how many people were ill with these symptoms.

Jellybeetles Sun 21-Jun-20 17:52:02

I personally think Covid started here back in possibly November & really feel it was here in December. A neighbour was really ill December after his son & grandson came from China to stay. A relative was really ill with ‘flu’ that led to a chest infection at Christmas. Very suspicious that it was here earlier in pockets of people that naturally isolated from others due to how ill they were. February seems a definite to me. ,

Chocgran Sun 21-Jun-20 18:18:28

@lizbethann I had a terrible hacking cough, high temperature and completely lost my sense of smell and taste before Christmas. I was wiped out for weeks and needed an inhaler for the first time in my life. After I first fell ill, My DGS had a rash, high temperature and cough, DH had similar symptoms to me and later needed an emergency bypass due to blood clots. My DS had similar but milder symptoms. Prior to becoming ill I had taken trains to Birmingham and London for work. We live near a major university city which had a large number of tourists and I had been there shopping.