Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

I was shielded - should I travel?

(61 Posts)
vickymeldrew Sat 27-Jun-20 21:02:48

Due to previous medical history I have been officially ‘shielding”. My DD lives in France with her DH and two young children aged 5&3. She is also 7 months pregnant.
In common with all other grans, I am bursting to see this little family again and every month that goes by seems such a waste of precious time. Normally, I visit every couple of months.
Should I brave Easyjet? Should I go on the Eurostar? Should I stay home and be safe? Should I wait for a vaccine?

MawB Sun 28-Jun-20 13:21:50

absthame

The behaviour towards the old and those requiring shielding by this government is murderous. They are showing a total disregard for your safety and survival for other than the shortest of times.

It is not safe to expose yourself, beyond what is necessary, until a suitable treatment or vaccine is available.

I don’t think you can accuse anybody of murderous behaviour when it is up to the individual to choose whether to break the regulations or be sensible and follow them. Too many people who should no better are making exceptions for themselves.
Hugging grandchildren cuddling new babies, visiting other houses, - all understandable but inconsistent with protection from a virus which is lethal for the very old, the vulnerable and even babies.

ReadyMeals Sun 28-Jun-20 12:56:01

I'd not book trips to anywhere abroad with this proposed "traffic light" system. We'd never know when the lights might turn red for our destination and waste the ticket.

absthame Sun 28-Jun-20 12:41:52

The behaviour towards the old and those requiring shielding by this government is murderous. They are showing a total disregard for your safety and survival for other than the shortest of times.

It is not safe to expose yourself, beyond what is necessary, until a suitable treatment or vaccine is available.

Dustyhen2010 Sun 28-Jun-20 11:59:16

I would say don't go. From 28 weeks pregnant women have to be much more careful and apart from considering your own health you would never forgive yourself if you caused a problem for your daughter with the baby. I have just seen a very interesting interview on a political programme with a government scientist who is saying the risk is still there and it is no less likely to cause us a problem if we catch it. He was urging caution.

4allweknow Sun 28-Jun-20 11:57:54

Wouldn't risk it. What about health insurance? Are we all still covered in the EU for Covid19. Lots of insurance companies exempt this from cover now. And as you are shielding you are knowingly putting yourself at risk. I can drive to the other end of the country to see my GS but I won't in case the car breaks down, I have an accident and have to make contact with loads of other environments and people. I am not shielding. Have patience.

Flakesdayout Sun 28-Jun-20 11:54:11

I have been shielding and still am. Have my letter to say that I should remain vigilant etc until early August. I have just read that there is an increase in deaths from Covid19 so the virus is still out there and due to people not adhering to social distancing measures then there is likely to be spikes of infection. I would not consider travelling anywhere, the risk is still far too high. Do not put yourself and your family at risk. Just be patient.

Dyffryn Sun 28-Jun-20 11:51:47

I wouldn’t go as much as it would hurt me. I haven’t seen my gorgeous grandchildren for months and my heart hurts every day. I want to be around as they grow up so I keep telling myself a few more months won’t hurt. We have cancelled two holidays this year and I can’t see us going anywhere until there is a vaccine. Looking at what has been happening across the country recently with people having no regards for anyone but themselves I think I am definitely safer at home.

knspol Sun 28-Jun-20 11:30:10

DH is shielding and now had letter stating to carry on until end of July. Have already cancelled Sept trip abroad and not likely to even consider further trips abroad for some considerable time. As someone else said restrictions are being eased because there is now NHS capacity not because danger has reduced. Considering the recent mass gatherings the NHS might be needing all of their resources very soon.

Jillybird Sun 28-Jun-20 11:23:46

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

icanhandthemback Sun 28-Jun-20 11:16:57

If you've been a shielder, I think it is too early to think of travelling abroad. I can understand why you want to go but it would be better to have the rest of a long life to enjoy your family rather than to jump too soon and find they are living a life without you. It is hard for you but being sensible at this stage may be a life saver.

Notyetagran46 Sun 28-Jun-20 11:15:42

Vicky, if you received the NHS shielding letter it’s because of a long term illness, or you are a transplant recipient, or pregnant. So unless you were pregnant! and have had your baby, you should still be shielded until the end of July at least.
My son who lives with me has received a second letter advising him to stay shielded until end of July which to all intents and purposes means I can’t travel until at least the end of July (unless I stay away from home).
I’ve got two other sons but probably can’t see them until August at the earliest.
You’d be putting yourself and family at risk if you travelled to see them.

Misha14 Sun 28-Jun-20 11:14:52

Vickymeldrew your dilemma puts mine in the shade, so I have every sympathy and little to add to the other grans. To be honest I'm finding any decision hard to make about seeing family. I'm struggling with whether long distance grandkids can stay overnight, as per new rules on July 6th. OH has health issues, but not shielding and we both long to see them.

sandelf Sun 28-Jun-20 11:11:48

How prepared are you for you and your family to have Covid 19?

jacalpad Sun 28-Jun-20 11:01:53

Poor Vickymeldrew, I feel for you. It must be heartbreaking to be in this position. I would suggest you wait until the baby has arrived, or the birth is imminent, and then reassess according to the Covid situation then. Also, ask your family in France what they think and make a mutual decision, in time. Good luck. I hope you are able to work something out.

patricia1958 Sun 28-Jun-20 10:56:05

I've been told by government to isolate until the 1st August it's my grandsons 8th birthday on Tuesday I would love to go and see him and his brother they on live 10 minutes away I've seen them twice since beginning of March what I've got to do because I don't drive is get a taxi wear a mask then I got to stay in the taxi his mum will get presents out of boot I will watch him open 1 and then I will go home it's going to break my heart but it has to be done. I think you should think how other people are coping and not what you want to do.

LuckyFour Sun 28-Jun-20 10:53:39

Don't even think about travelling to France or anywhere else yet. You'll be nervous and so will your family. It's no all over yet, don't risk it.

Nanniejude Sun 28-Jun-20 10:49:17

I have been at work all the time and would go, but if you’ve been shielding you have to think about your health. There probably no more risk going to France than travelling in the Uk. The problem is when do you go as virus isn’t going away. Good luck

Gwenisgreat1 Sun 28-Jun-20 10:32:33

I do sympathise, but reckon it would be worth the wait.
I am just vulnerable, but I will be very careful about going out anywhere! Might manage when we have the vaccine, but I really don't want any more lung problems.

NemosMum Sun 28-Jun-20 10:21:27

Things might be much clearer in September when the baby has arrived. Why not wait until then to make a decision?

Beanie654321 Sun 28-Jun-20 10:17:10

I have blood tests to do, so booked my appointment and will be going on Thursday, with my mask and gloves. I dont drive so will be leaving nearly 1 1/2 hours before appointment to walk the 4 miles as I will not use public transport as I think it is too much of a risk. Why would you contemplate going abroad when you are risking your life, your families and every one else who maybe needed to care for you if you became I'll. Sorry I know it's hard as you feel obligated to help but you could easily make things alot worse.

Hithere Sat 27-Jun-20 22:59:50

As much risk - just lowered head in shame

vickymeldrew Sat 27-Jun-20 22:59:48

Thank you for your comments. I really appreciate your input/support in what is quite a difficult time for me. I also have a son and his family in North America, but know that trip is definitely out of bounds.

NfkDumpling Sat 27-Jun-20 22:52:44

I’m pleased to hear you got back to Switzerland safely GagaJo.

The number of infections is levelling out, and maybe on the rise again in some areas, so I would wait and see if you can.

BlueSky Sat 27-Jun-20 22:48:11

GagaJo thanks it gives us long distance grans some hope!

Marydoll Sat 27-Jun-20 22:42:47

You are correct, Charleygirl, I didn't want too sound harsh.

I think vickymeldrew knows herself, that she shouldn't go.