Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

I was shielded - should I travel?

(60 Posts)
GagaJo Sat 27-Jun-20 22:36:30

I was shielding but gave in to pressure and returned to my job in Switzerland 3 weeks ago. I finished the term and have just returned to the uk. I had to fly on (expensive) Swiss air because EasyJet weren't flying.

Swiss air are leaving an empty seat between passengers. A reason the flights are so expensive I suppose. I paid £650 return. On EasyJet it would have been less than £100.

Also, I had to fly from Heathrow. 300 miles from my home.

Masks in the airport and on the plane were mandatory. The airport was very quiet.

BlueSky Sat 27-Jun-20 22:29:50

Vicky my grandchildren are in Australia so for this year at least I know I can't go anywhere. In your case I would wait a bit longer before travelling, but don't wait for a vaccine as it may never happen. Eventually we'll travel again with all the new safety measures as we are now doing in shops and other venues.

Hithere Sat 27-Jun-20 22:17:06

Sorry, now

Hithere Sat 27-Jun-20 22:16:51

Not at all. Not a good idea.

There is as much before as there is nos

Luckygirl Sat 27-Jun-20 22:16:45

The virus has not gone; they are just letting the cork gently out of the bottle, basically to see what happens - they could not leave lockdown for ever. But the truth is that they simply do not know what is gong to happen.

You are no more safe now than you were when you first started shielding.

I know how hard it is being apart from family, but the risk to you and to them is high - one of the most risky things you can do is to travel on public transport.

BlueBelle Sat 27-Jun-20 22:07:02

Well Im not shielding as I have no Underlying health problems but I wouldn’t travel anywhere at the moment not even to my nearest city (on public transport) I ve been on the bus to my next town for an appointment but that’s it as far as
I ll be going and I m an out and about person
I m amazed that you’re even considering it .....Just be patient

Charleygirl5 Sat 27-Jun-20 21:54:52

Absolutely definitely not! Marydoll is being too kind to you- it is absolute madness to be even contemplating the journey.

Oopsadaisy3 Sat 27-Jun-20 21:26:06

It isn’t a difficult decision, your DD is 7 months pregnant! There is no way you should risk , not only being ill yourself, but possibly infecting your DD and her unborn child.
Lockdown and shielding has been lifted because the NHS can now cope with anyone who needs to be in ICU, not because the danger is gone !

Marydoll Sat 27-Jun-20 21:14:34

I am shielding and have just cancelled my Roman holiday for September. I wouldn't dream of travelling abroad at the moment, especially as getting travel insurance for my pre-existing conditions on top of all the other risk factors is very problematic.

I can't understand how we can be shielding one day and the next day we are ok to lead life as it was before shielding.

I do understand that your daughter needs your support, so you need to weigh up all the factors. I suppose another factor is why you had to shield, as I believe the authorities are rethinking who needs to shield.

A very difficult decision for you to make, I hope you can find an answer to your dilemma.

vickymeldrew Sat 27-Jun-20 21:02:48

Due to previous medical history I have been officially ‘shielding”. My DD lives in France with her DH and two young children aged 5&3. She is also 7 months pregnant.
In common with all other grans, I am bursting to see this little family again and every month that goes by seems such a waste of precious time. Normally, I visit every couple of months.
Should I brave Easyjet? Should I go on the Eurostar? Should I stay home and be safe? Should I wait for a vaccine?