Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Which reusable mask would you recommend ?

(63 Posts)
MayBee70 Mon 29-Jun-20 12:18:08

I’ve bout a reusable mask on the internet but it only just reaches my chin, doesn’t go under it so I’m not very confident about wearing it in public places. I’ll probably just take it with me when out walking. I do have medical grade single use ones that I shall use in enclosed spaces (if and when I venture forth into one: I’m so concerned about the amount of plastic being used in the fight against the virus I don’t want to contribute to it if I can help it). I don’t really want flowery masks, would rather have something with a bit of attitude as I’m assuming (wrongly I hope) that I’ll be sniggered at for wearing one.

Bumboseat1 Thu 02-Jul-20 09:49:50

You can also wear a scarf Around your face on the bus if you don’t have any facemask . I did once as I left my face mask at home, but luckily I was wearing A scarf round my neck one so I used that, as I wouldn’t have been allowed on the bus Else .

CrazyGrandma2 Thu 02-Jul-20 09:52:06

Always wear a mask if going into a shop. I bought some disposable ones early on but then made my own which are a much better fit. There are lots of patterns and tutorials on Youtube.

b1zzle Thu 02-Jul-20 09:56:24

Like Grannynannywanny, I bought washable ones from Etsy. The first one is magic and the elastic goes round the back of the head so you're not forever touching your face; perfect for supermarket shopping. The second one I bought is identical but it's still in quarantine because of its smell!

Holidayenthusiast Thu 02-Jul-20 10:12:38

I bought these from Elle. They are washable, double layered masks with a place to insert a further layer (filter paper or tissue) if you wish. They are made of a liquid repellent fabric. The fabric is soft, comfortable to wear and a good fit.
elle.co.uk/products/protective-mask-5-pack-washable?utm_campaign=emailmarketing_78189363357&utm_medium=email&utm_source=shopify_email

4allweknow Thu 02-Jul-20 10:16:03

I made triple layer ones for all my family, 4 each to accomodate being in washing. Made from 100% cotton pillow cases. Loads of patterns on internet. Also bought a nanotech mask, supposed to help prevent external infiltration. Local community obtained a huge discount from manufacturer by bulk ordering. I have notice people wearing masks that are far too big. Spaces down sides, under chin and on cheeks. Totally useless. All edges should fit closely.

Craftycat Thu 02-Jul-20 10:24:40

I do have a mask in my handbag but have not felt any need to wear it yet.
People seem very reasonable about social distancing in shops round here so have not felt at risk at all.

grannybuy Thu 02-Jul-20 10:36:13

I do wear a mask in shops. I feel that many people are not observing distancing in shops, and neither are some shop assistants. I've noticed a big increase in mask wearing in my local M & S food store. I've made my own masks - fiddly at first, but easy once you get the hang of it. As another poster said, lots of you tube options.

sandelf Thu 02-Jul-20 10:46:34

Oh no - no sniggering any more. Wear them - by the winter people will understand! Any road up, as me old Ma would say:- I've got www.victorychimp.cc/products/victory-chimp-face-mask and www.vistaprint.co.uk/masks/all/diamond/ Beware of the ones for cyclist/runners that are anti pollution with valves - some valves close on inhale and open on exhale - not considerate.

travelsafar Thu 02-Jul-20 11:05:29

I bought a pack of three cotton ones from Home Bargains. They are washable at 60degrees. Perfect for me, they fit well and there is always one in my bag when ever i go out. Then after use it goes straight in the washing machine . Only cost 3.99.

MayBee70 Thu 02-Jul-20 11:18:58

Thanks everyone: I’m going to be sending away for several of the ones suggested. The vistaprint one looks very good in that you can adjust it and the Elle ones are very economical but well made so I can buy several and keep them in the car, handbags etc.

Barmeyoldbat Thu 02-Jul-20 11:49:27

Yes I wear one overtime I go out, I have a selection wear one that is suitable for the weather temperature. I don't care what people think, I just wish it became law that we all had to wear one.

Gwenisgreat1 Thu 02-Jul-20 12:05:28

Macgran43 have looked at your son's website and what I've seen are super!
I have some disposable ones I've had for a long time, but intend to make any others then find washable filters to use in them. Think the pockets you are all finding in your masks are for filters.
Bumboseat1 sympathise with your overlocker problem - can the instruction book help? or Support on-line?
I just have a plain computerised machine, it does overlocking stitch, but I have to cut it!!

Rosiestocks Thu 02-Jul-20 12:31:06

Teacheranne What do you use as a nose clip please? Thanks

nipsmum Thu 02-Jul-20 12:35:56

I made about 15 masks on my small basic sewing machine. Double thickness close weave cotton with elastic ear loops. They cost next to nothing to do and are as effective as expensive bought ones.

Vintagegirl Thu 02-Jul-20 12:48:48

Way back when no masks available, I made a load of them and gleaned a lot of good info from Youtube demos. Cotton is best fabric and at least two layers with a pocket for inserting an extra layer of some non woven material as additional filter. With three layers, you are nearly up to the level of protection of medical masks. Water based baby wipes make a simple filter. I also put a metal nose piece to stop virus particle dropping down onto face. It also helps condensation rising to glasses.

Fairyfeet Thu 02-Jul-20 12:59:03

Rosiestocks

Teacheranne What do you use as a nose clip please? Thanks

I have a pattern, which I haven’t made up yet, and they suggest using pipe cleaners inserted into a channel to enable the mask to fit snuggly around the bridge if the nose. I have to have something close fitting as I wear glasses. Hope this helps.

Paperbackwriter Thu 02-Jul-20 13:07:03

If you want something with a bit of attitude, MayBee70, get one of these! I've got one but haven't quite had the nerve to wear it yet! www.etsy.com/uk/listing/789015080/rolling-stones-inspired-fashion-face?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=rolling+stones+face&ref=sr_gallery-1-2&bes=1

Stella14 Thu 02-Jul-20 13:10:04

From my research and purchasing of a couple of types. I recommend these from Paisie (a clothing company). They are made from offcuts of their clothing lines and sold at cost price to help with the situation (I don’t know any other company that does this). I like them because they are made from two layers if cool cotton, with a pocket to put a filter (That catches very fine droplets) into. IMO, this makes them much safer than cloth only. The filters are widely available (see Amazon). They are also light and cool to wear and have adjustable ear loops.
www.paisie.com/collections/face-masks

Rosiestocks Thu 02-Jul-20 14:05:25

fairyfeet Thanks for the help smile

Kim19 Thu 02-Jul-20 14:10:22

Saw this on TV. Gents handkerchief, fold into three. One elastic band quarterish in from either end as earholds. Tuck one end of the 'tube' into the other end. Adjust the amount tucked until fit is comfortable for you. I use various bits of wipes as filter. Also, bands that fitted me are courtesy of Post Office found on many pavements. Straight into the wash after use. Sorted.

MiniMoon Thu 02-Jul-20 14:40:02

I've crocheted a mask and lined it with a double layer of cotton fabric. I left it open at the top so that I can insert a filter if and when it's needed.

I have a hairdressers appointment on Tuesday and I have to wear a mask in the salon, so I'm good to go.

Joplin Thu 02-Jul-20 15:04:18

WWF do very pretty ones, 100% Cotton Organic, for both children & adults & they are washable. Basically white, with little panda's heads & a black strap. I'll look up the price & link but they were very reasonable & I think cheaper if you bought 3 or 4.

garnet25 Thu 02-Jul-20 15:07:55

For those of you who have masks that allow you to add a filter,
I recommend using cut up Henry Hoover bags as they are HEPA (high-efficiency particulate absorbing) filters.

Kim19 Thu 02-Jul-20 15:21:16

Thank you, Garnet. I'll do that.

MayBee70 Thu 02-Jul-20 15:31:27

Thanks garnet; another good tip.