Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Which reusable mask would you recommend ?

(63 Posts)
MayBee70 Mon 29-Jun-20 12:18:08

I’ve bout a reusable mask on the internet but it only just reaches my chin, doesn’t go under it so I’m not very confident about wearing it in public places. I’ll probably just take it with me when out walking. I do have medical grade single use ones that I shall use in enclosed spaces (if and when I venture forth into one: I’m so concerned about the amount of plastic being used in the fight against the virus I don’t want to contribute to it if I can help it). I don’t really want flowery masks, would rather have something with a bit of attitude as I’m assuming (wrongly I hope) that I’ll be sniggered at for wearing one.

carolmary Thu 02-Jul-20 15:52:22

Nose piece:
Get some flexible green soft plastic covered garden tie. Sold on cards in most hardware shops and is easily cut to size. I made some masks from a pattern I got on line and that's what was recommended. Works well. Also those metal strip closures that you get on some coffee beans or ground cofee also work

Davida1968 Thu 02-Jul-20 16:39:00

I'm finding these very useful & DH uses one as well:
www.seasaltcornwall.co.uk/accessories
Seasalt are about to branch out into selling "face coverings" too:
www.seasaltcornwall.co.uk/accessories/face-coverings
(Please note that I have no connection with the company!)

shysal Thu 02-Jul-20 16:53:32

WARNING to those considering using vacuum cleaner HEPA bags for filters. Apparently they contain fibreglass fibres which are harmful when inhaled. I discovered this after buying some!

MayBee70 Thu 02-Jul-20 17:12:06

Thanks shysal. I see that Boots now sell reusable masks and replaceable filters. When we bought our single use ones I don’t think they had them. I haven’t been near or in a shop for months but am beginning to feel more confident about venturing forth at some point.

BeenBizzy Thu 02-Jul-20 17:15:56

I am going for a nano silver mask. Copper and silver treated in a certain way kill covid 19 along with other virus.
A little more expensive but not much. With the right chemicals you could make your own...... Am too old for all that now.
But I need something that will keep me a little safer.
Although am not allowed out till end of July.

Tergly Thu 02-Jul-20 18:59:18

No matter what type of mask there are always those who wear them below their noses!

Aepgirl Thu 02-Jul-20 19:25:28

I have various styles of masks - none of them are truly comfortable, all make my specs. steam up as soon as I breathe, all hurt my ears. However, I wear one every time I go shopping - not ventured onto a bus or train yet, nor been in a shop other than for food.

Happysexagenarian Thu 02-Jul-20 21:41:09

I've made hundreds of masks this year for a local support group using this pattern:

www.craftpassion.com/face-mask-sewing-pattern/

It's an easy pattern to make and comes in lots of sizes for aĺl ages. When you make your own masks you can adjust the depth and fit to suit your face.
I used 2 layers of soft quilting cotton (don't use polycotton or jersey) with an inner layer of Vilene interfacing as an extra filter layer. Soft, comfortable surgical elastic is available on Ebay, also washable adhesive nose clips.

I think we're all going to have to get used to regular mask wearing.

AllotmentLil Thu 02-Jul-20 23:14:50

Mandatory in shops in Scotland from 10 July.

Juicylucy Fri 03-Jul-20 01:37:04

Groupon have large selection of different types of masks at very good prices.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 03-Jul-20 07:21:13

I like Sturgeons mask.

A fetching tartan!

JOJO60 Fri 03-Jul-20 13:19:36

I made some pleated cotton masks from a pattern I found online which cover the nose and chin. They were easy to make and fit well. I wear them every time I have to go somewhere where other people are around, as well as social distancing, although I only go out when absolutely necessary. I feel safer as I often see people without masks coughing without covering their faces and they may be asymptomatic. At least I won't be breathing in their germs. I keep my outings as short as possible and wash the mask as soon as I get home. I know you cant eliminate risk altogether, only minimise it, but I think masks along with social distancing and hand washing is the way to go. I've found quite a few older people are wearing masks, and its the younger ones who seem to think it doesn't matter. I dont worry about looking silly, afterall, nobody knows who I am! And it's my health and life that's important, not what other people think.