Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Pubs reopening - that went well ???

(71 Posts)
MawB Tue 07-Jul-20 16:43:55

A number of pubs in England have shut after customers tested positive for coronavirus.
At least three establishments announced they had shut their doors again just days after reopening at the weekend.
They were among hundreds of venues that welcomed customers after three months as lockdown measures were eased - most apparently with no problem.
But crowds descending in some towns and cities prompted fears social distancing was being disregarded.
The Lighthouse Kitchen and Carvery in Burnham-on-Sea, Somerset, said it was "slowly" working through a list of customers who had left details at the weekend and that all staff had tested negative for the virus.
In Batley, West Yorkshire, the Fox and Hounds said a customer had phoned to say they had tested positive for coronavirus.
Meanwhile the landlord of the Village Home Pub in Alverstoke, Hampshire, said his team were awaiting test results after someone in a member of staff's "family bubble" tested positive. Jess Green, manager of the Lighthouse Kitchen, told BBC Points West she decided to close to "put everyone's health and safety first".
"I felt I had to keep my customers and my staff safe which is why I chose to shut the pub. I'm gutted, but safety comes first.
"We could have opened today but chose not to as I think that's the right thing to do."
Indian takeaway Saagar, also in Burnham, said it would be closing until Friday to undergo a deep clean after one if its drivers had been to the Lighthouse Kitchen, along with the bar the Vape Escape, which has also closed for a full clean after a customer's positive test.

lemongrove Tue 07-Jul-20 17:14:50

Luckily it’s a tiny number of places closing their doors again, and shows that taking details from customers does actually work.
My question is how do pub owners know that customers are telling the truth, phoning to say they test positive? Could it be done to cause disruption or is there a failsafe?
Also, how do owners know that customers details are honest ones??

GrannyGravy13 Tue 07-Jul-20 17:16:48

MawB those who tested positive must have already been ill /a symptomatic when they went out and already taken a test to get a positive result so quick.

It is impossible to legislate for idiots who have no social conscience.

pinkquartz Tue 07-Jul-20 17:21:37

None of these pubs are in Large Cities, I wonder if the pubs in London etc also collected data, from the photos there were so many people drinking I doubt it.

GrannyGravy13 Tue 07-Jul-20 17:24:45

A lot of the busier pubs require you to get their app and also to pay via it which I guess is traceable.

We had to give our details when we went out for dinner Saturday and lunch on Sunday.

EllanVannin Tue 07-Jul-20 17:38:22

Judging by all the fights/scuffles after pub visits it'll come as no surprise to see cases double again. How foolish not to remain locked-down until next March because of so many idiots in this country !. Why should everyone have to suffer because of these Neanderthals. ?

GGumteenth Tue 07-Jul-20 18:22:17

It does seem to have gone well in the way the pub owners have acted in the pubs where someone has let them know they have the virus. They have been in touch with all their customers suggesting they get tested before the track and trace team have left the starting blocks - not, of course, the fault of the people working in it.

Franbern Tue 07-Jul-20 18:39:12

Seems to have worked extremely well, and a very few places involved.

How silly to talk about locking down for a year. It has been totally devastating for tens of thousand of people and families and business for three months. Can't even imagine what 12 months would result in. AND......why do you think that the virus will not be just as infectious in March of next year, as it is now?

Calendargirl Tue 07-Jul-20 18:45:23

I wondered about that too lemongrove, if some mischief maker would just think it a great joke to pretend they had tested positive. I suppose the track and trace would pick that up, but maybe too late to prevent upheaval.

I also wondered if some went out already feeling poorly.

MawB Tue 07-Jul-20 18:47:53

The acid test is going to be tracing the possible contacts. It is nobody’s interests to give a fake name or phone number. I was listening to PM and one pub had the brilliant idea of writing a name and contact number on each receipt before keeping it. That way you know what day, even time a customer was in.

vegansrock Tue 07-Jul-20 19:16:25

Why are pubs seen as more important than playgrounds? Beauty salons? Maybe because men are more likely to go there? I think I would be safer in my local nail bar,very clean , all wearing masks, currently not allowed to open, than my local pub.

maddyone Tue 07-Jul-20 19:35:18

I agree with you vegansrock, I’m really looking forward to getting my overgrown eyebrows sorted out, but beauticians remain closed. At least I’m going to the hairdresser tomorrow. I won’t be going in any pubs yet, not even a country pub mid week for a pub lunch, despite the fact that most are not crowded at all at that time.
What happened in London over the weekend showed the usual disregard of the guidelines from certain members of the public, also I understand in other cities. I’m sad to have to point out that most of the offenders were young people. I hope they don’t infect their grannies, and then say, but she didn’t go anywhere.

FarNorth Tue 07-Jul-20 19:38:54

I think you're right vegansrock and because it's mainly men in government.

maddyone Tue 07-Jul-20 19:39:47

I think the owners of the pubs affected behaved very responsibly, but I’m not sure that it would have been possible for all those Soho bars and pubs to collect contact details in all that affray. The police were shown just walking through the crowds, they didn’t seem to be doing anything.

growstuff Tue 07-Jul-20 20:07:25

maddyone

I agree with you vegansrock, I’m really looking forward to getting my overgrown eyebrows sorted out, but beauticians remain closed. At least I’m going to the hairdresser tomorrow. I won’t be going in any pubs yet, not even a country pub mid week for a pub lunch, despite the fact that most are not crowded at all at that time.
What happened in London over the weekend showed the usual disregard of the guidelines from certain members of the public, also I understand in other cities. I’m sad to have to point out that most of the offenders were young people. I hope they don’t infect their grannies, and then say, but she didn’t go anywhere.

Most people will do something if they're "allowed" to do it. You can't really blame them when there were pictures of Farage, Johnson and other leaders having a pint. Incidentally, Farage should still have been in quarantine after his trip to the US.

FarNorth Tue 07-Jul-20 20:21:56

Pubs surely can't keep up this level of checking contacts and closing down, as they are notified of infected customers.

GGumteenth Tue 07-Jul-20 20:30:17

It was the pubs that did it. Nothing to do with test and trace. If we don't get it working on a local Public Health basis I imagine there might be a pub here and there who stay quiet. They need the backing and immediate help when they here of a positive case.

MissAdventure Tue 07-Jul-20 20:42:44

I thought pubs would have been way down the list of priorities.
People who are three sheets to the wind aren't known for their restraint, as any A & E dept can testify.

Peardrop50 Tue 07-Jul-20 20:55:52

Pubs hold no appeal for me personally but I suppose they are a huge part of our economy which must get going at some point. I salute the responsible publicans who put safety measures in place including a track and trace system.
The only way to sit on this virus until a vaccine is found is for all of us to behave in a responsible way that protects others.

Sussexborn Tue 07-Jul-20 20:56:25

Everybody has different ideas on priorities. I’ll be happy to get my hair sorted but only really go to the beauticians before going on holiday.

Not too bothered about pubs but looking forward to Miller and Carter opening though no sign of it yet.

The local paper was praising how sensible everyone had been on Saturday but not something on our radar these days.

MissAdventure Tue 07-Jul-20 20:57:41

Our local paper reported that the police had been called to sort out a mass brawl.

MawB Tue 07-Jul-20 21:13:56

FarNorth

Pubs surely can't keep up this level of checking contacts and closing down, as they are notified of infected customers.

No, they pass the information to “NHS” Track and Trace who take it from there.

MawB Tue 07-Jul-20 21:14:44

GGumteenth

It was the pubs that did it. Nothing to do with test and trace. If we don't get it working on a local Public Health basis I imagine there might be a pub here and there who stay quiet. They need the backing and immediate help when they here of a positive case.

Can you explain “it was the pubs that did it” ?

GrannyGravy13 Tue 07-Jul-20 21:17:35

MissAdventure

Our local paper reported that the police had been called to sort out a mass brawl.

Totally missed that, whereabouts was the mass brawl ? as our side of the bridge half of the pubs didn't open until yesterday.

GrannyGravy13 Tue 07-Jul-20 21:20:53

I am struggling to get my head round that it is wrong to open pubs/restaurants/tea rooms/cafes but ok to have protests and if the police try to disband an illegal rave or block party they are demonised!