Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Exciting news about a vaccine?

(114 Posts)
MawB Mon 20-Jul-20 16:04:52

In today’s Guardian
Oxford University’s experimental coronavirus vaccine is safe and generated a strong immune response in about 1,000 people who volunteered to help trial it, researchers have said, raising hopes it could help end the pandemic.

The results published in the Lancet medical journal are preliminary, however, with the effect of the vaccine measured by the amount of antibodies and T-cells it generates in the blood of the volunteers – not in any response to the virus itself.

Large-scale trials have begun in Brazil and South Africa, however, where infection rates are still high and it will be possible to assess whether vaccinated individuals are less likely to get Covid-19 than others
Could this be, in Churchill’s well known quote:
“Not the end, not even the beginning of the end, but the end of the beginning” ? .

Flygirl Sat 25-Jul-20 18:38:08

JenniferEccles, as I said I'm not totally anti vaccine, and I would never influence anyone, but they are not for me. Having researched what actually goes into them I am horrified that if anyone really did their research on their content, they would still be so happy to have them. It is now big, big business and should be viewed as such. It has really opened my eyes. The "exciting" thing (so they tell us) is that the development of this vaccine is using new technology m, that alters DNA, permanently. Forgive me, but I do not find that exciting, frankly I find it petrifying, and what I find even more terrifying is that most people think it's a wonderful idea, to buy our normal lives back. I just say research, read up, think, and question everything. And question everything again. Because in my view the real "conspiracy theories" (and I really hate that term) are being broadcast daily by government officials, advisors and main stream media, who have vested interests in a successful vaccination programme.

maddyone Sat 25-Jul-20 18:40:02

I think there’s been plenty of information about eating healthily and taking exercise. We were encouraged to take an hour a day exercise even during full lockdown, whereas Italy, Spain and even some regions in France along with other countries, locked down completely and residents had to download a voucher just to go to the shop for food, and they could be challenged by the police and required to produce the voucher. We never did that, exercise for health of mind and body was encouraged and allowed. Vitamin D supplements have been advised for months, but it’s a free country, people can take notice or not. You can indeed line up at McDonalds for a daily fix, but you can also line up at the supermarket and buy lots of fresh fruit, salad, and vegetables. It’s a personal choice. There’s plenty of information about, it’s up to individuals to decide what to with that information. Some will take notice, others won’t. Twas ever this.

Flygirl Sat 25-Jul-20 18:53:52

Maddyone, my point was that the government should be proactive and taking steps to ensure real health care in the true sense of the word, instead of constantly peddling the vaccine propoganda as our only way out of this mess. And it certainly isn't. It's the one which will make a lot of money going forward and it has absolutely nothing to do with health care. Our bodies have the mechanisms if treated well, to have robust immune systems. Everything the government has suggested so far will compromise our immune systems, not strengthen them.

BlueBelle Sat 25-Jul-20 18:55:17

Well said Flygirl my feelings too

biba70 Sat 25-Jul-20 18:58:27

maddyone. researchers are paid by big pharmas. I worked for years with research scientists who explained how commercial funding is causing all sorts of problems with safety. These vaccines a being rushed to make lots and lots of money.

biba70 Sat 25-Jul-20 19:07:12

Pharmaceuticals industry
'Major' breakthrough in Covid-19 drug makes UK professors millionaires

Synairgen’s share price rises 540% on morning of news of successful drugs trial

varian Sat 25-Jul-20 19:08:49

I don't care if some UK professors become millionaires as long as this vaccine works and can be distributed ASAP.

Callistemon Sat 25-Jul-20 19:14:56

Well done!

maddyone Sat 25-Jul-20 19:40:29

I totally agree with varian.

maddyone Sat 25-Jul-20 19:42:46

If you don’t want the vaccine, it’s up to you. I’ll be in the queue along with varian.

Jane10 Sat 25-Jul-20 20:41:16

I agree. If the vaccine works and is safe that's fine by me. I'd even pay for it. Vaccination programmes have been by far the largest saver of human life. Smallpox virtually eradicated, polio can be too, same for tetanus, diphtheria etc etc. Modern youngsters haven't lived with the dread of these diseases or seen people die of them.

JenniferEccles Sat 25-Jul-20 22:59:50

Is there any solid evidence to back up what you say that vaccines (do you mean all vaccines) damage our DNA?

You are absolutely correct when you say how vital it is for us to take our own health seriously, eat well, take supplements in some cases, exercise and not let ourselves become overweight. I completely agree with all of that, but if you are claiming ALL vaccines are dangerous, then that is totally wrong.

mokryna Sun 26-Jul-20 01:46:15

Maddyone in France during lockdown we could go out everyday for an hour’s constitutional as well as another time to go shopping, we just had to printout a paper with the day’s date and reason why. There was no real problem and it slowed down the infection rate a lot faster than some other countries

growstuff Sun 26-Jul-20 02:02:41

biba70

maddyone. researchers are paid by big pharmas. I worked for years with research scientists who explained how commercial funding is causing all sorts of problems with safety. These vaccines a being rushed to make lots and lots of money.

That's why "red tape" is needed. The big pharma companies are acutely aware of safety and the usual claim is that they slow down innovation. What usually happens is that small labs work on specific projects, funded by big pharma, who are the only ones with the capacity to carry out the testing, production and marketing.

There was a case a few years ago when somebody (whose name I've forgotten) developed a treatment for cancer in a small lab and sold it on the internet. It was actually quite successful and he made loads of money, but eventually there were some complaints. He had bypassed normal safety trials and didn't have a leg to stand on. UKIP used to wheel him out every so often as an entrepreneur whose innovations were being thwarted by red tape.

I'm not at all anti-vax. However, I have no confidence that there will be a vaccination in the near future and I would certainly be cautious about having something which hadn't gone through usual trials. We all need to face the reality that other steps are needed to minimise transmission.

Luckygirl Sun 26-Jul-20 09:06:43

Our bodies have the mechanisms if treated well, to have robust immune systems.

Would that this were so. We do indeed have immune systems and they do fight off infection; but they are not invincible and they fail us, and have failed us over thousands of years.

Go to any ancient graveyard and see memorials to the children wiped out by typhoid, TB, smallpox, diphtheria etc. etc. Go to the third world where vaccines are not available to all and ask them what they think. Vaccines have transformed our lives for the better; unless you think it is just fine for vast swathes of the population to be wiped out by illness.

In the great scheme of things we are no more or less valuable than any other living creature and just as expendable. Nature is not benign; we have to fettle for ourselves and use human ingenuity to help us survive.

I will be having the vaccine if one is developed.

Luckygirl Sun 26-Jul-20 09:09:53

Researchers are indeed funded by big pharmaceutical companies - that is their investment, from which of course they expect a return. What else might we expect?

If research were fully state funded there would be no problem; but it isn't. We are better off with the system we have than nothing at all, which is the alternative, as there is no hope of state-funded research on the horizon.

Greeneyedgirl Sun 26-Jul-20 09:59:08

Well said Luckygirl to both of your posts.
Our immune system is not as robust as we age either, so the elderly are particularly vulnerable to infection however “healthy” our lifestyle.

Immunisation is the biggest public health success of the last 60 years, and those who are anti vac, placing their trust in “pseudo science” are fortunate to be protected by herd immunity, when a large proportion of a population receives immunisation.

maddyone Sun 26-Jul-20 11:40:17

Luckygirl very good posts.
growstuff you are of course correct. But unlike you I do have hope that one of the 28 vaccines (I think) that are currently been tested all over the world will show itself to be both safe and effective. The Oxford vaccine is looking very promising, also the Imperial College one is looking good. I think there’s a good candidate in China and another in America.

Flygirl Sun 26-Jul-20 11:40:46

Jane10 as long as it is safe hmm how exactly will you know that? Because somebody tells you it is? Who are you going to trust?
Jennifer Eccles, it was announced a couple of weeks ago regarding the development of the Covid vaccine that there had been a "breakthrough" with something called RNA (I think) technology, which permanently alters DNA. It was publicly announced on main stream media so I am sure if you research you will find out all about it.

Forgice me, but I always find it astounding that people are so willing to accept any new drugs or vaccines without a even a second thought, as they feel it is somehow buying them their lives back, without joining the dots that any ailments or auto immune diseases that they may develop in the future may be directly attributable to their original decisions. These ailments will probably require more drugs and immuno-suppresants to control them in the future, more money....see where this goes? The culture keeps us sick! No money in a healthy nation, is there?

And yet..... mention anything that is a more natural, less harmful solution, to build natural immunity....or a cheaper (non-profit making) but nonetheless effective prevention like good quality supplements and good nutrition, (seemingly a dirty word) (because nature really does provide answers), and then people actually demand that you provide more evidence!

'Nowt so queer as folk!!

maddyone Sun 26-Jul-20 11:45:55

Greeneyedgirl
You’re correct, our immune system becomes less efficient as we age. That’s why we are offered a flu vaccine every year if we’re over 65 or have certain conditions. This year the flu vaccine will be offered to everyone over 50. That’s very sensible as Covid19 seems to be worse or kill more people over the age of 50.
If and when a Covid19 vaccine becomes available, I will definitely take it. If others don’t wish to do so, then that’s their choice. No one will be forced anymore than they’re forced to have a flu vaccine.

maddyone Sun 26-Jul-20 11:52:22

The culture keeps us sick! No money in a healthy nation, is there?

And the development of effective treatments and vaccines keeps us healthy. People live longer, and live more healthy lives for longer in recent years than all through history. Infant mortality has decreased hugely since Victorian times, along with maternal deaths. Many fatal diseases are no longer fatal. The evidence that modern medicine and vaccines have improved life expectancy and quality of life is simply enormous.

growstuff Sun 26-Jul-20 12:02:10

maddyone

Luckygirl very good posts.
growstuff you are of course correct. But unlike you I do have hope that one of the 28 vaccines (I think) that are currently been tested all over the world will show itself to be both safe and effective. The Oxford vaccine is looking very promising, also the Imperial College one is looking good. I think there’s a good candidate in China and another in America.

I, too, have hope - why on earth wouldn't I? However, I'm realistic and I really don't expect any vaccine for at least a year. During that time, we all need to learn to live with Covid-19. I'm just very cynical about the "breakthrough headlines" because they give the impression that something is just around the corner.

maddyone Sun 26-Jul-20 12:11:17

I know you do growstuff and I also know that you’ve been quite afraid and cautious during the pandemic. I also know that you are a pragmatic and sensible person who does the research and acts accordingly. I know this because of the way you write your posts.
As you know I’ve been desperately afraid myself, especially for my daughter and her family. I’ve also suffered from depression which reared it’s ugly head during the lockdown. Hope of a vaccine helps me to be positive about the future. I recognise it might not happen as quickly as I would like, but I’m holding on to hope, but not blind faith.

Callistemon Sun 26-Jul-20 12:14:40

It costs a lot of money to carry out research into new drugs and vaccines, that is why new drugs are expensive, to recoup the costs and to enable research to continue.
Once licensed, a company can take out a patent to sell the drug but once the patent expires, other companies are allowed to produce generic versions of the drug.

This vaccine will need to be widely available therefore the price will be reasonable but companies etc do need to recoup costs and make enough money to continue research.

Many drugs are based on plants, bacteria and fungi, Flygirl.

People can try to eat and live as healthily as possible but it doesn't mean that illness will not strike, diseases are not inherited or even just living in the world present hazards.

Luckygirl Sun 26-Jul-20 13:08:01

Flygirl - if only good diet and healthy lifestyle were enough to protect us. They are not.

No-one accepts vaccine "without a second thought", but they know their importance in public health.