Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Why we are still in deep trouble

(213 Posts)

GNHQ have commented on this thread. Read here.

Daisymae Tue 04-Aug-20 08:08:43

Seems that the government is making decisions based on ideological grounds rather than use the expertise that we have to hand in England. On the basis that we may be in the eye of the storm somehow the government needs to get a grip. Their record to date is appalling but they seem content to plough on. These virologists wrote to the government weeks ago but haven't had a response.

www.theguardian.com/world/2020/aug/03/uk-virologists-criticise-handling-coronavirus-testing-contracts

maddyone Fri 07-Aug-20 14:49:43

I agree that it’s a civic duty, but I worry that people won’t do it, or do it halfheartedly, so if they need milk for example, thinking oh I’ll just pop up the road to the little local shop, that can’t hurt. But obviously it can.

Hondaboy Fri 07-Aug-20 14:58:35

Lets remember that he ‘deadly c-19 virus’ was downgraded in March 2020 to the status of a ‘flu virus or common cold. The ‘’flu virus and the common cold are still around and we live with them - or die of them if we have weak immune system - and be more prone to frequent infections usually the elderly (FACT).Trying to eradicate C-19 is a pipe dream and beware of co called untested C-19 vaccines which the government is spending million of pounds on.

Hondaboy Fri 07-Aug-20 15:02:14

So far Ask I read ...EVERYONE IS NOW AN EXPERT !!

growstuff Fri 07-Aug-20 15:07:25

maddyone

I agree that it’s a civic duty, but I worry that people won’t do it, or do it halfheartedly, so if they need milk for example, thinking oh I’ll just pop up the road to the little local shop, that can’t hurt. But obviously it can.

That's why they need to be provided with what they need, so there is no excuse. If they break the rules, they should be punished.

We need proactive leadership.

growstuff Fri 07-Aug-20 15:12:15

Hondaboy

Lets remember that he ‘deadly c-19 virus’ was downgraded in March 2020 to the status of a ‘flu virus or common cold. The ‘’flu virus and the common cold are still around and we live with them - or die of them if we have weak immune system - and be more prone to frequent infections usually the elderly (FACT).Trying to eradicate C-19 is a pipe dream and beware of co called untested C-19 vaccines which the government is spending million of pounds on.

I disagree with you totally and so do many scientists.

I agree that there is not likely to be a vaccine in the near future, but it's not rocket science. The virus needs hosts to transmit. Take away the hosts and it ceases to exist.

The narrative needs to change from seeing lockdown as a form of detention to making people see that it's for protection.

Callistemon Fri 07-Aug-20 15:27:08

It was downgraded from a HCID (High Consequence Infectious Disease) yes, because it has a relatively low death rate compared to some other diseases and we have the ability to test for it.
All four nations HCID Group agreed this.

However, it does have a high infection rate.

growstuff Fri 07-Aug-20 15:42:56

Worryingly, it's now becoming apparent that many thousands of people have been left with long-term, maybe permanent, damage. Some of the damage, for example to the heart, has the potential to shorten life expectancy.

There is not going to be a vaccine for ages (if ever) and we don't know how long immunity lasts, so the only solution (if we don't want hundreds of thousands of people to be killed or disabled) is to concentrate our minds on cutting transmission.

maddyone Fri 07-Aug-20 15:57:28

Well if we decide to go to Normandy, or possibly one of the Greek Islands, we will make preparations for quarantine before we go. Freeze plenty of milk and bread, stock up on tinned food, and book a couple of delivery dates for shopping to be delivered. School holidays will have finished so no need for childcare. However we’re lucky because we’re retired, so not a problem to self isolate for a couple of weeks.
I do feel we could do with a holiday, something to look forward to after this awful year, possibly to be followed by another equally awful year.

growstuff Fri 07-Aug-20 16:07:29

It's different for working people on minimum wage or self-employed and few savings. Not working for two weeks is a disaster for them. Many people don't have alternative childcare either. They juggle shifts, so that there is always a parent at home or they rely on older siblings. It's understandable that they find it almost impossible to self-isolate, so they need support. The government has thrown billions at all sorts of schemes, so a little more wouldn't matter that much.

I haven't had a holiday for 13 years, so I can't say that I miss one this year.

maddyone Fri 07-Aug-20 16:31:34

It’s much more difficult for working people, and especially those on low pay. My sons can both work from home, but my daughter can’t. After cancelling one holiday, she then booked a villa in France, but if quarantine after visiting France comes in, she’ll have to cancel that, and hope to find somewhere in Britain.
On a good note, we won two mini breaks for her and her husband by entering the Rewards for NHS Workers competitions. We described what they’d done, how they’d managed, the extra hours, the stress, etc and we won two for them . Just rewards I think.
One of the things I’ve loved since I retired eight years ago, apart from the gorgeous grandchildren, was the ability to travel. Whatever happens in the future, I have got some lovely memories of the places we visited.
Did you enjoy holidays in the past growstuff?
Who knows if things will ever return to ‘normal’ in our lifetime.

Ellianne Fri 07-Aug-20 17:58:46

Now Preston.
Preston City Council chief executive Adrian Phillips said: “The number of cases in Preston have increased rapidly in recent days leading to Government categorising the city as an area of intervention. *It is also alarming to see that the under-30s are contracting it at a significant rate*".
There does seem to be a bit of a pattern emerging with that age group.

hondagirl Sat 08-Aug-20 07:25:04

The app is only part of the tracking and tracing, just an additional tool. There needs to be teams of people doing it. I agree there needs to be financial and other support for those who need to isolate and penalties for those who don't.