Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

The Lockdown Gang - Carry on Regardless.

(1001 Posts)
Doodle Wed 05-Aug-20 18:54:29

Hi all. This is our new thread for those who have been and may still be shielding. We will carry posting regardless of whether or not we are in lockdown.
Jeeves is in the kitchen opening the bubbly.
I have plumped up all the cushions in our new abode and look forward to welcoming old and new friends. Feel free to join in.

CherryCezzy Fri 07-Aug-20 19:15:03

Evening ☺️

Grammaretto, pleased to hear that your DH is doing well after his operation ?. It's a good sign that he was trying to eat, I hope he managed to (hospital food is never easy) eat a reasonable amount and keep it down. I hope his kidney is okay, I've had a few stents in my time in preparedness for removing kidney stones. Three operations later I'm fine.

My word BradfordLass what a scumbag chancer. I'm glad your son was savvy enough to alert you.
I hope that whatever your idea and plan you have to defeat your episodes of brain fog works. Yes, please let me know how it goes and promise me one thing - if it's not effective you see your GP.

I hope you kept to your word and didn't even think about any housework Doodle. Good heavens though - slow cooking and roasting on a day like this! You'll be roasted yourself ?. Much better idea to do something relaxing like sewing.

What a stupid discriminatory policy Mamissimo. Knowing that, people who just wanting to "take a sicky" for no other reason than to have a relaxing day/s off would have worked out the best times to take them.
What has your friend done to her arm if you don't mind me asking? In the past (dratted seizures) I have dislocated both shoulders (the right one was awful) but after extensive physio' and strict exercises I managed to avoid any operations. Sometimes I wish I hadn't as neither have been quite right since ?. Whether your friend is operated on or not I hope she receives appropriate treatment and recovers.

I've had more dratted seizures and had a bit of a nosh of my cheeks ?. I looked like a chipmunk when I woke up this morning ? ?. I'm still quite swollen up - I've got lips like Mick Jagger ?.

It's been absolutely glorious all day here so take my mind off my swollen and painful face I've spend the day pottering in the garden with a bit of gentle gardening and not much else ?. I plan to have a similarly lazy evening relaxing with my non art ☺️.

Catch you laters ?

Grammaretto Fri 07-Aug-20 19:31:16

It certainly warmed up later on and the hospital is hot so I was glad of summer clothes.
Unfortunately I was evicted, gently, but told he was only allowed one named visitor for one hour per day as he was moved to a urology ward. At least he has his own room cell because he has been shielding. I met the surgeon who says he's not out of the woods yet and was prescribing all sorts of of meds and mixtures. He'll be staying in for a few days yet.
I have lots of his relations and friends to tell now.
I am quite pleased to be home.
Thanks for the beans and spinach Mamissimo just what's needed.
I could whisk an egg to go with them.
Dinner sorted.
I shall wait with bated breath for the next installment from Bradfordlass her escape from 100 men....... wait 1,000 men

Doodle Fri 07-Aug-20 20:46:39

Evening all. I’m afraid it wasn’t quite hot enough to cook my beef outdoors mamissimo but the slow cooker did a good job. The only problem is the aroma penetrates the flat and DH was looking forward to the beef tonight .....until I told him we were having chicken again ?. Beef for Sunday.
Hope your friend gets her op soon. Common sense should prevail. My dear MIL went into hospital where she was found to have terminal cancer with only a few weeks left to live. They put her on a diet as she was overweight!! We couldn’t believe it.
Good job Jeeves is still being helpful. Iced tea sounds nice but I think I’ll have a Magnum please Jeeves. ?
cherry I haven’t done much today to be honest. Too hot.
I did all the cooking and cleaned up the kitchen but other than that some unpicking (following the sewing ?) and not much else.
So sorry about your face. I occasionally bite the inside of a cheek or my tongue when I’m eating and it is so painful. Poor you to have bitten yourself so badly. You weren’t trying to take a bite out of Jeeves in your sleep we’re you ?. Enjoy your non art time. Hope tonight is more relaxing.
grammaretto good your DH has his own cell in hospital.
Hopefully, that will keep him safe until he’s back home with you. I expect you are very tired so sleep well tonight.
I too am waiting for the next instalment of my life as a Harlot/Maneater from bradfordlass.
Do hope our missing gangsters are ok. Still thinking of you all.

CherryCezzy Fri 07-Aug-20 22:59:15

Not feeling great so I'm just popping in to say Grammaretto I hope your DH has a good night and so do you.

Sleep well all, catch up tomorrow ?. Night ?

Doodle Sat 08-Aug-20 00:00:04

cherry hope you are ok and feel better soon.
Sleep well all.

Missedout Sat 08-Aug-20 00:16:19

Hi gangsters, I'm sorry I have been quiet since coming home again. To be honest, I feel sad, missing family contact, and finding it difficult to readjust to not being locked down but not going anywhere either. I sort of feel that DH and I should self-isolate for a couple of weeks anyway as we have been mixing (bubbling).

DH and I had such a lovely family visit. We took the little ones out walking every day, played with them and cuddled them too but also enjoyed the long evening meals, just the four adults sitting round the table chatting after DGC had gone to bed. My DS and DIL are kind and funny.

We made the journey in both directions without stopping.

I'm so sorry to hear about Mr Grammaretto. I hope he mends quickly and Cherry bounces back soon. I'm also pleased that Mamissimo's operation appears to be on track and keep thinking of our missing/sick friends.

Doodle and BradfordLass I take my hat off to you and your cooking skills. I bet BradfordLass massages butter beautifully around joints of meat in preparation for the oven. Although I have cooked for family for so many years, I'm finding it such a chore. I'm afraid that, every so often, I buy a selection of frozen meals from 'Cook'. If I can't be bothered to cook then we eat from our 'freezer menu'. In the past, I've never had much practice with vegetarian meals but enjoy Cook's.

While away, I lost part of another tooth (the other side of my mouth to my many times, temporarily, refilled tooth). Luckily, I took my tooth filling kit with me. I have to eat very slowly. I weighed myself today and found I've lost weight, I haven't been this light for years. I think I'd rather be heavier and have sound teeth though.

My knees are healing nicely, I'm thinking about trying the bike again (plus kneepads) on the road. Perhaps next week when it is quieter and I can avoid the tourists.

I made a mistake with booking my delivery slot tomorrow. Instead of booking it for 11:30am I somehow managed to book pm instead. So tomorrow will be a late night. I hope the neighbours don't think we are receiving stolen goods.

Good night all, I think I just need a little hot chocolate and cool, fresh sheets tonight so Jeeves can give more attention to our less well gang members.

NfkDumpling Sat 08-Aug-20 07:31:47

I just said on the Good Morning thread that I wasn't going to be sidetracked, but here I am. Just popping in to see if there's any news of the missing ones who were so poorly, its concerning when they don't re-appear.

Really glad that Mr G managed to have his operation and it was successful and I really hope you Cherry feel a little better today and that Missedout's doldrums pass. Having had DGC for sleep-overs last week I know that anti-climax feeling of an empty house - even with DH in it and leaving shoes, magazines and coffee cups scattered liberally around.

Right, there's only a few things which really need ironing. I'm off!

Grammaretto Sat 08-Aug-20 09:57:25

The big news is the Marydoll's DD's wedding today in their garden.
I love the sound of that but I know it isn't what was wanted originally. This year is completely different.
But she's here and so are the bride and groom and that's the main thing.
Sending love, hugs and best wishes for a long and happy life together.

I have just heard that DH has had some better results today.
Phew! It wasn't looking so good yesterday.

I had better get myself ready to go and see him. An hour and a half journey each way for just one hour's visiting. It's better than those poor folk with the covid though. I must remember that. I am very tempted to get the bus but DD says it's covid central! What is it with these AC of ours!!

I hope everyone of the gang has a lovely day and not too hot. See you for drinks on the patio tonight!

Mamissimo Sat 08-Aug-20 10:33:26

That sounds better Grammaretto but I think your AC are right about buses. Better not to sit for an hour and a half sharing air with non bubblers. Glad you can visit.

I know exactly what you mean about the flatness after seeing family Missedout . After my DF died my poor DM was utterly lost and I used to take her DGC to visit most weeks. They were 7 at the time and I was brought up short by one asking me "I wonder what Nanny does when we go home?" Her sister replied "Cries a bit and gets her dinner I think" it's a conversation that's stayed with me for over 30 years now, and still makes me sad.

So pleased that Marydoll's DDs wedding is happening. We got married in the hot summer of 76 and it adds flavour and context to our wedding stories.....her DD will tell her children about the struggles to get married in Covid times and about how determined her DM was to be there. The stuff of legends.

I'm sending a prayer to the veg god to please slow my running beans down. I've now frozen 5 kilos and the neighbours are looking a little green when I offer them some. A friend came for coffee in the garden while young Mim and Esme were here on Wednesday and she rang when she got home to ask whether I'd meant to put runner beans in her handbag...? I swiftly blames the girls. ?

Sending virtual beans to all who need them.

Doodle Sat 08-Aug-20 12:19:01

missedout I know that feeling too. Of missing the family after being with them. I bet you had a lovely time with them all. So no toilet breaks there or back. Well done ?
No, no missedout, we don’t want our cherry bouncing anywhere ?. She’s got enough injuries as it is ?
I had to laugh at your description of bradfordlass massaging her joints with butter. I could just visualise that ?
I hadn’t thought of broken teeth as a weight loss aid but I see what you mean. I ought to eat more slowly (much more slowly). I’m afraid I’m one of life’s gobblers. Put a plate of food in front of me and before you can blink it’s gone ?
Yes please wear your knee pads and no falling off. ?
You may find your delivery comes earlier than you think. We have had a few late night ones (the only ones we could get) and they have all arrived much earlier than expected.
nfk nice to have you sidetracked into here. We like to keep tabs on you ? Yes I wish we had news of our missing gangsters too. Hope they are all keeping well.
Please can you do my ironing for me as you are getting round to doing yours ?
grammaretto yes I am so pleased that Marydoll’s DD is getting married today too. The photos of the garden on the GM thread look lovely. Hope they have a good day for it.
That must have been worrying day for you yesterday but it sounds as though DH is getting better with today’s blood results.
That’s quite a journey to visit him but well worth it I imagine.
Tell him we all wish him a speedy recovery. ?
mamissimo your DDs sound as though they were thoughtful young girls. I too wonder about friends who go home to an empty house after a day out with company.
So you are still trying to catch up with you running beans. Wish you could tell them to run this way.
I see you are using your initiative to dispose of them ?
Not sure what I’m doing today. Nothing much if it is as hot as yesterday. I do have ironing to do. DH says leave it (I think he thinks the ironing fairy will pop in when we’re out and do it)
Hope you all have a good day.

CherryCezzy Sat 08-Aug-20 20:46:39

Evening gang ?

It's been a lovely day and now it's a gorgeous evening ?.
Spent virtually all the day out in the garden, pottering, chilling in my very own cool corner and some light gardening. Now I'm chilling watching the snooker after a lovely meal ?.
I'm not looking so much like a chipmunk ?️ today, just a bit gerbil-ish around the edges ?.
Missedout, when I've got my Tigger tail firmly attached I bounce around happily so thank you it will happen but Doodle is quite right and thank you Doodle bouncing is not what I want to happen when I'm having a bout of seizures ? ?.

We perfectly understand Missedout if you haven't felt like posting - that flatness feeling after spending such a lovely time with family (or others you are close to) can stick to you like sap after deadheading a flower. Some would say ..." but you have your husband/partner so at least you are not home alone so you should be happy" but it's not about that is it.
Tooth problems are no way to lose weight. Sounds like the sides of your mouth have matched up, it can't be nice.
Are there quiet areas close by that you could have a short (sort of round the block) bike ride without "bumping into" (not literally) too many people? Worth a thought if there are - exercise is good for lifting mood.

Nflk , ironing on a day like today ?. All I can say is that I hope you kept well hydrated .

Glad to hear that your DH has had better results today Grammaretto . I understand from the morning thread that he has had heavy duty infusions of antibiotics etc. I hope he's gone from strength to strength today .

Mamissimo I don't think I've heard anything so poignant for a while. What is it they say .... out of the mouths of babes. I'm chocked, no wonder you've never forgotten it and that it still makes you sad.
Of course it was Mim and Esme that put the running beans in your friend's bag ?. I'd take half a kilo off you but I'm not sure if the post is reliable enough at the moment for them to still be fresh when they get to me ?

Yes Doodle I too laughed at Missedout's description of BradfordLass massaging butter into her joints. I was thinking of Shea butter which is good for aching and painful joints but I would want it on my meat ?
I hope you found something nice to do today that didn't involve ironing. As I said up thread - on a day like this?

Early night for me today so I'll say my goodnights to everyone now. Sleep well all of you ?

Doodle Sat 08-Aug-20 21:05:50

Hi cherry having been a chipmunk and now a gerbil, is the next stage to be like a hamster. Hope the cheeks are less painful now. Do you get mouth ulcers when you do that? I often do.
I didn’t do the ironing (unfortunately neither did the ironing fairy ?) It was too hot. We went for a walk by the river but even though there is usually a breeze it was far to hot and we came back exhausted. Just managed the strength to carry two glasses of wine to the balcony before we collapsed in the chairs.
We used to watch snooker years ago and enjoyed it. Don’t know why we stopped watching but haven’t seen it for ages.
For some reason I have fidgety knees tonight. They are constantly wanting to move. It is really annoying as I would like to sit still and nod off read but my knees are saying move.
Hope everyone has had a good day. Sleep well. Jeeves is wandering around wafting a big palm leaf trying to cool everyone down. ?

BradfordLass73 Sat 08-Aug-20 22:09:35

Keep Bonjela handy for sore mouths: bites and ulcers therein.
Back later smile

Grammaretto Sat 08-Aug-20 22:57:01

I'm just popping in to say goodnight. See you in the morn
xxx

Missedout Sat 08-Aug-20 23:04:24

Doodle, you were right about the delivery possibly arriving early. We had a phone call from the delivery driver at 8:00pm (3 hours early) to say he was nearby and could he deliver.

It's been too hot to do much but spend time in the shade in the garden today. I thought of MaryDoll and her DD's wedding too. I hope they all have lovely memories of today.

Mamissimo, I remember the summer of 1976 well. DH and I were married in 1977 but met in 1976. We spent a week away together in that hot summer (that was seen to be awfully 'fast' of me). There were forest fires breaking out on the south coast and I remember sitting on the sandy beach at Mudeford, trying to eat those tiny, green seedless grapes (they have disappeared completely but were so tasty) out of a brown paper bag and failing because we were plagued by wasps! We abandoned the grapes and swam in the sea. The drive to and from our holiday caravan was through a parched and scorched landscape.

We have yet to have any runner beans this year - my DH is complaining bitterly, they are his favourite vegetable (apart from fresh peas from the pod).

Thank you everyone for understanding how both DH and I've been feeling since returning from the first family visit for months.

BradfordLass73 Sun 09-Aug-20 09:00:57

Nfk I agree, it IS concerning when we don't hear. I hope Mr & Mrs Panache are managing - and of course all our other lovely poorly friends.

Good to hear that Marydoll's family wedding went well. How lovely to be married in a garden in the sunshine.

Missedout I can relate to that feeling of sad, flat, all-alone after family have been with you. I hardly ever feel lonely but I do so miss my son, especially after he's been here for the day - and then feel I'm being very ungrateful to do so.

Doodle I've heard of Alice B Toklas cookies and brownies but I didn't know you could roast a joint, buttered or not! Perhaps if our referendum decides they're no longer illegal, I may buy some. "Fine words butter no joints".

Grammaretto I'm ever so glad to hear your DH is doing well and I agree with your AC. Take NO chances, especially on your way to a hospital.

Mamissimo Your words echoed my own thoughts. Amidst all this worry and deprivation, we're actually in the midst of, and making, history. It will go down as akin to the Great Plague and world wars, learned about in future school projects - and though it may not seem anything to rejoice at now, we are witnessing an incredible era.

Beans Is there a foodbank or community pantry near you who would be grateful for your runaway crop?

I'm just back from Orakei Marae. It was a political meeting and not really my thing but I went with the elders and agreed with a lot the candidate said.

It's always cold and windy atop Bastion Point, the cliff where the marae stands but the views are amazing.
There was a very nice buffet to follow with delicious seafood chowder. smile

Someone asked a while ago if I still had a Yorkshire accent. Yes but it never was very strong as my mother insisted we should not descend into 'scruffy speech.'

So 'water' and 'butter' had very definite T sounds instead of the glottal stop. Teaching ESOL for 30+ years has also made my speech a little more neutral.

When I visited the UK in 1997, I was asked if I were an Australian!
I still occasionally say 'nowt' and 'owt' instead of nothing or anything.
I'm very proud of being a Yorkshire woman so have never consciously tried to get rid of the accent.

Hope everyone has a lovely day smile

Grammaretto Sun 09-Aug-20 10:21:31

It was me who asked about your accent BL A Yorkshire lass will keep her vowel sounds.

I am noticing our Kiwi grandson is just beginning to sound like the native he is.
He read his prize winning fabo story in public last week.

I get taken for all sorts. I've lived in Scotland since 1975 yet still get taken for NZ or English. mostly English (sarth lundin) I gave someone a lift once and she asked where I was from. I listed all the places I've lived and when I got to Birmingham - she said, yes That's it!!
I phoned DH today and he thought I was my sister!

He is feeling a bit down. I'm sure that's to be expected though. In a bit of pain and discomfort. He had a covid test today so that may mean he'll have to stay in for a few more days.

Missedout I know that feeling so well.
Just have to make plans for the next visit. Next time with your teeth fixed. grin

I have a gap where some teeth should be. I was fitted with a plate just before lockdown but after 2 abscesses I haven't worn it.
I would like to change my dentist but now is probably not the best time.

Mamissimo your beans and my kale. I like your style shoving them in visitor's handbags. grin

Mamissimo Sun 09-Aug-20 11:51:52

Good morning!

Oh BL I wish there was somewhere that could use my beans! We live in the countryside and everyone grows their own. When we moved here over 30 years ago we bought the last wreck improvement opportunity in a beautiful location. We're in a National Park, also an AONB, and socially diverse it isn't. The same goes for most of the local villages. However much I love it here it's LaLa land.

Villages like mine, and the nearby market town probably exemplify everything that's wrong with our society.....
No employment unless you're a cleaner/gardener/ builder or a successful work from home person
No public transport
No school
No pub - it's now a gastro pub but has no space for just drinking and blathering
No doctor
No houses under £600k

The market town has no baker and only one greengrocer, but there are over 20 places to get your nails done and over thirty opportunities to have a coffee. It has a huge farmers market once a month.

We're Olde England in Aspic, and as each elderly household departs their successors arrive to perpetuate the inequality. Surprisingly this area voted against brexit ? There's no solution to it now without a revolution.

Over privileged rant over.

Tonight we will cook a paella ....tomorrow it will rain.

?

Doodle Sun 09-Aug-20 11:57:48

bradfordlass I too swear by Bonjela. Have used it for years. I always have a tube at the back of the drawer somewhere. Also Blistese for sore lips.
missedout glad your delivery came at a more reasonable hour.
Just checked on the GM thread and Marydoll did indeed have a wonderful day for her DD’s wedding. I am so pleased for them all.
You have just mentioned one of our favourite places in the world Mudeford. We have been there so many times. Before DH retired due to ill health, we used to go there to walk along the beach and round the harbour. We loved listening to the clanking of the ropes against the masts of the yachts during the windy weather. It was a place we could cut off from our worries for a while and enjoy the wind and the sea. It’s not the most beautiful place in the world but it was a place we needed in those times. We have been there many times since and still love it (in fact we hope to go in October fingers crossed)
Sorry, I’ve rambled on.
Hope you get some beans soon. I’m still waiting for mamissimo’s beans to run this way. I’ve got Jeeves out with a big net to catch them as they run past. ?

Doodle Sun 09-Aug-20 12:26:06

bradordlass roasted joints indeed. ?
Those two photos are lovely. Fantastic views and a very interesting building. Does it have particular significance? It looks old. Good food too. Definitely worth going ?
grammaretto I have found before with my DH when he has been in hospital that the third or forth day is one of low mood. I noticed it most when he had his heart bypass and was in the ward with many others. The nurse there said to me that they all felt low on the third or forth day as it was some kind of anticlimax after the ‘rush’ of the operation. Hope your DH feels better soon and is allowed out from his cell and back home (to ours ?)
Your home sounds lovely. Which national park is it, if you don’t mind me asking?
It’s a shame about these Gastro pubs, we have quite a few round here. Also an extraordinary number of nail bars, cafes and Estate Agents. All the good shops are closing down and whole areas being converted to flats. I have no idea where all the people are going to come from to live in these flats but they keep building them.
We live in a little nook away from the town centre thank goodness. It’s too busy for me there. We enjoy a quieter pace of life.
Well it’s roast beef for lunch today (without any joints bradfordlass ?) and then home made scones, jam and cream for tea while we watch the British Grand Prix on TV this evening.
Hoping the panaches are coping with this heat and dragonfly is ok. Hope Marydoll is resting after the excitement of yesterday.
Back to check on you all later. Have a good day.

Missedout Sun 09-Aug-20 12:56:16

Ah Doodle, then you will remember the Lobster Pot!

Doodle Sun 09-Aug-20 17:57:03

Indeed I do, and the ferry to Hengistbury Head and the fish stall.
One year we were there on holiday and my brother and SIL came for the day. My SIL loves fresh fish and bought some from the market to take home. A couple of days late we noticed this really bad smell in our car .....and realised my SIL had left her fish in our car boot ?

Grammaretto Sun 09-Aug-20 18:46:28

Thanks Doodle it's exactly that I'm sure. You come back to earth with a thud after the euphoria of finding you've survived.
No news of his release either. He has a cannula in yet another place so that's both arms and both hands .
However those nurses are brilliant doing 12 hour shifts.

It isn't me who lives in a beautiful National Park! We are never bothered by tourists here. wink
House prices are good and low. You can still by a flat for under £100k

When I got home from the hospital a friend called with a quiche and 2 cans of G&T.
Cheers everyone!!

Doodle Sun 09-Aug-20 19:47:22

Sorry grammaretto ( I got confused (quite a common occurrence for me ?) It’s mamissimo who mentioned living in a National Park.
grammaretto that’s the kind of friend you need. A quiche and a G & T. I bet you need that. ?

CherryCezzy Sun 09-Aug-20 20:17:27

With you in spirit today. My brain is only focusing for a few minutes at a time ?.

I'm sure I'll find my Tigger tail firmly in place in a couple of days but at the moment it's quite raggedy.

I've just popped in to say I'm thinking of you all really.

I hope your DH has a comfortable night Grammaretto. The nurses seem to be taking very good care of him ?

I will catch up with you lovely peoples tomorrow ?

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion