Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

The Lockdown Gang - Carry on Regardless.

(1001 Posts)
Doodle Wed 05-Aug-20 18:54:29

Hi all. This is our new thread for those who have been and may still be shielding. We will carry posting regardless of whether or not we are in lockdown.
Jeeves is in the kitchen opening the bubbly.
I have plumped up all the cushions in our new abode and look forward to welcoming old and new friends. Feel free to join in.

Doodle Thu 22-Oct-20 13:18:52

Ok everyone. Pick up your bits and pieces, we’re moving.
Jeeves will clear up behind us.
Wait till you see what the new place has to offer. ?

Doodle Thu 22-Oct-20 13:11:05

Ok gangsters. I’m going to start a new thread.
As Cherry kindly suggested someone else had a turn at naming it and Mamissimo came up with another Carry on theme, our new thread, courtesy of Mamissimo will be
The Lockdown Gang - Keep calm and Carry on.
I hope to see you all there soon ?

Doodle Thu 22-Oct-20 13:04:38

Nortsat at last a picture of your lovely birthday present. I can see why you were taken with it. The blue glass is beautiful. Now you are on the trail of something else. I am very intrigued by your Viking ring. Is that from the same auction house? Please let us know if your bid is successful. I’m actually getting quite interested in this. I must look into it more.?
Your leek and bacon pie has made my mouth water. I may try that myself.
Nortsat what a lovely post to Panache sums up exactly what I Hope this thread means to us all.
Blood test all fine thanks and DH much better, ?
What’s this about a presentation? Did I miss something.
Grammaretto I hope you had a better night and that MrG when he wakes is feeling better too.
Hope you have a restful day today to recover from the hospital day yesterday.

Doodle Thu 22-Oct-20 12:51:41

Mamissimo I am so pleased for your son. How nice to have some good news and something to look forward to and the fact it’s not far away is a bonus.
I am so sorry to hear of the loss of another family member.
So difficult under COVID for organising funerals and all those who can’t attend.
Glad you are feeling well in yourself.
dragonfly DH is much improved thank you. I hope your sons house purchase goes ahead ok. Is it anywhere near where you live, We are very blessed in that both our sons and their families live about 5 minutes from each other and 15 minutes from us.
Bradfordlass how lovely to have seen that beautiful house with some of its original features (even if not the luxurious state it is in now). The gardens look lovely. It must have been exciting exploring the rooms. Ah I see you know my husband well grin. Actually he is feeling better, thank you.
How about you. Have you started eating yet?

Grammaretto Thu 22-Oct-20 09:01:07

Hi Gangsters,

Nortsat what a stunning clock!! Did I read on another thread that you were giving a presentation yesterday?
If so, do tell.

Bradfordlass so you stayed in that house. I was looking at the furnishings which are really gorgeous. I don't think I would like to live in a stately home. just as well I was watching Pride and Prejudice again recently and the way that Elizabeth is supposed to be in awe of Pemberley doesn't ring true. Maybe the book is more tempered?

Mamissimo that is wonderful news about DS's house and near you too. I would be jealous as well as thrilled if it were me. I am and it isn't me.
So the Phil Spencer reference wasn't so far off the mark Dragonfly. Friends of ours were on that List it or love it programme. I fear in their case it wasn't great and they were in a hefty legal battle with the builders for months afterwards. The house looked lovely but they only stayed about a year and have both moved on - separately.

It is sad news about your BiL Mamissimo.

MrG is still abed so I can't report yet. How are all our gang today? Panache sending hugs xxx

Nortsat Thu 22-Oct-20 07:54:40

Good morning gangsters I hope we all had a decent night’s sleep. I have my coffee and am sitting comfortably (thank you Doodle).
I have added a photo of my little Baccarat clock ... you might remember the auction bid. Now I am bidding on a copper ring, from the Viking era... I don’t need such a thing, but the idea of having something from that time ... is irresistible.

Nfkdumpling, lovely photos of the little hedgehog. It made me marvel at the diversity of the wildlife we can see in our gardens and local areas.
However I am shocked (yes, shocked) at your views on turnips!
Bradfordlass I am writing this early in the morning and your talk of vegetables is making me want to eat them all, now! Leek sauce mmm. Do please share your recipe. I was brought up in the north east of England, where many of the men grew leeks. I love them ... one of our favourites is Leek & Bacon bake. It’s just layers of sliced leeks, back bacon and sliced potatoes, covered in stock and baked for about 1.5 hours. Then topped with grated cheese. My mother used to make it.
I hope you are feeling a bit brighter and stronger today.
Dragonfly, I love the sound of Hutspot and smoked sausage, there’s an idea for supper. Danke je.
Dear Panache, I am so sorry to learn about your terrible pain. Did the new treatments materialise? It’s pointless to say ... but I so wish there was something we could do, to help you and your dear one. You know that we all want you to keep posting whatever you need to say. There is no necessity for apologies here. Of course we all enjoy the fun and whimsical postings, but the thread is an important source of support too. Your presence and your posts are a valued and key element to this thread.
Gosh, Grammaretto, I was startled to read your hospital post and then relieved to see you were both home and you were enjoying a medicinal G&T. How are things today?
Mammissimo, life truly is a journey of light and shade. Such happy news on the lovely, new house purchase ( including solar heating ...) and then the loss of a family member and all the funeral complications.
It’s a good thing your own health is currently stable and long may it remain so.
Cherry I hope you had a better nights sleep. Any options for the new name for the thread?
Doodle did your blood test happen ... is all well? How is Mr D this morning?

I hope we all have a peaceful, comfortable day today.

BradfordLass73 Thu 22-Oct-20 01:58:47

Yes Doodle I really did stay there, several times over the 4 years my dear in laws were in situ - but it didn't look like those photos.
It had been empty for a while and was prey to vandals, so the owners put caretakers in.

It had an absolutely beautiful stained glass window at the top of the regal staircase and the 2nd year they were there, someone threw a brick through it.
Fortunately, I'd taken a photo, as I had of many aspects of the house, so it was renovatable.

One of the things I loved was the Victorian and Edwardian items still in the house. Potties in the attic where maids used to sleep; cupboards full of kitchen equipment straight out of Upstairs,Downstairs. And hip baths, easy to get out of.

The main bathroom (of 7) had a massive, free-standing claw-foot bath in the centre of a huge room, with windows looking out to that magnificent view. Brass geyser and decorated closet made the whole thing enchanting.
It had real character.
~*~

At night I listen to audio books as I'm an insomniac from way back. I can't ever remember going to sleep and staying asleep until morning but I don't sleep during the day either smile.
Thinking of you and your DH, dear Doodle, tell him I'll smack his legs if he doesn't improve (actually, better not, he might enjoy that! wink )

dragonfly46 Wed 21-Oct-20 22:31:52

Oh Grammaretto so sorry to hear that you were back at the hospital today. A large G&T is definitely the ticket.
Panache I hope you both have a good night - you too Cherry.
Great news about your DS’s house Mammissimo. My DS is also in the process of buying but started out as no chain seems to have developed into an endless one. Phil Spencer helped them buy their first flat!
Sleep well everyone hope your DH continues to improve Doodle.

Mamissimo Wed 21-Oct-20 22:20:18

Triumph! His third offer (!) was accepted and the house has been taken off the market. We're delighted for him because it's a really good buy. It's brand new and a one off built on a brownfield site so it's non estate a good size. Two bedrooms, an office at the end of the garden, all white goods, solar heated hot water - and two parking spaces. Bang on his limited budget. Now we just have to keep everything crossed for a smooth legal process. At least there's no chain at all.

The DS moved back in after university and he's a very Big cuckoo! He's over 6'4 and eats us out of house and home. We will miss him but we're happy to see the next stage unfolding. He will only be twenty minutes away so we won't be strangers ?

I've been a bit absent this week because we lost another brother in law unexpectedly and once again many of the family can't get back for the funeral. Only one of his three children will be there and it's so hard on the others. We've been doing what's been needed as his daughter is a housemother in a large boarding school and under Covid regulations her life is jolly complicated.

I'm so lucky to be going through a spell of health stability at the moment. I'm balanced so I'm desperate to make hay while the sunshines after lurching along for so long and Covid is making everything difficult and worrying. When I read your posts it makes me feel doubly thankful for the blessings I have and the fellowship we share.

Sleep tight

Doodle Wed 21-Oct-20 22:16:39

Bradfordlass I don’t remember you mentioning Brockhampton House before. It’s a beautiful place. Did you really stay there ? With your wicked sense of humour I am never sure if you are pulling my leg or not. ?
I can understand the delight of the birds but what about at night do you listen to audiobooks then?
Nice to have neighbours who think of you. Was he the one who went and got your fuel for your heater a while ago ?
I hope you are on the mend now.
Sleep well all ?

BradfordLass73 Wed 21-Oct-20 20:31:37

I don't know where to start today. I've read all the posts and so many of you are going through hell.
Like Grammaretto I wish there was a magic wand but the only one I know of is called Time.
And Grammaretto has the right idea with a G&T ! smile

So I'm trying to send good, healing thoughts to you all in the hope that just knowing we are thinking positively about you, makes a difference.

I feel a bit of a fraud because there's nothng amiss with me, although I realise membership of the Gang is not predicated on illness smile
I slept a lot yesterday and ate an egg and feel a bit better.

Nfk Absolutely no need to apologise; how could you (or anyone) know what my eyesight is like? smile Even my family don't really know.
To them I seem to manage so well. They don't see the dozens of accidents or the frustrated tears sometimes.
I'm good at covering up smile and after all, compared to what most here are battling, it's such a small thing.

Doodle Of late, I've been listening to BBC podcasts as well as audio books but mostly I just prefer silence and birds.

Cherry You were so right. Karen signed herself out after 2 days.

I'm trying to imagine the sort of house Mr & MrsM are moving to: one with a music room for sure and a still room for all the preserves - acres of garden, a few servants (must accommodate Jeeves) and a spa pool.

I think I've already told you I stayed at Brockhampton House when my in-laws lived there and I see it's on the market again. Just the ticket Mamissimo grin

media.onthemarket.com/properties/1557105/doc_0_0.pdf

My dear old neighbour Brian, who grows and eats silver beet every day, popped over with a bunch as, like the rubber beans; the crop has been more than he can manage.
He's promised he'll leave some in the mailbox every alternate day. No doubt I'll be mashing it with the neeps, tatties and everything else I can think of. grin

Doodle Wed 21-Oct-20 18:52:23

grammaretto what a relief to know you are home. I was worried about you both, enjoy your G&T you deserve it. ?

Grammaretto Wed 21-Oct-20 18:45:40

Doodle we were at the hospital in the day bed ward but we are home again now. My post didn't send until later.
MrG will be better in the urology dept - just oncology to deal with now.....
Thanks for supplies. I am downing a G&T - cheers! It's been a long day.
The roofers came and had finished by early afternoon. The gardener came and decided she would do a barter for 2 of my planters for 6 hours gardening. She also pointed out badger marks in the garden. no wonder we don't have hedgehogs
Her DF is a badger expert. She's lovely but doesn't seem to achieve much in 6 hours. I'm used to the HelpXers who would usually be in pairs and tackle a huge job. She's on her own and used to much smaller gardens.
I planted some bulbs.
Anyway, what news Mamissimo?

Doodle Wed 21-Oct-20 18:33:01

grammaretto whatever’s happening. Are you in hospital?
I hope everything is ok and MrG is fine.
I will send Jeeves with supplies at once.
Take care.
nfk we seem to be doing ok with our surgery. They are not making appointments and persuading people to do e consult but if we phone or email we do get a reasonable response. I realise we are very lucky and things are not the same elsewhere.

Grammaretto Wed 21-Oct-20 18:22:22

By hook or by crook I may be almost last in this book.
I've just been told by a cleaner/person in uniform with a mop that DH has been taken in to theatre. I wish it was a theatre like the playhouse and not like Holby City (a TV medical soap BradfordLass)
I'm in the waiting room. It's a little unorthodox but he wanted me to chum him. We've been here for 2 hours.

I am so sad Panache that you and the dreamy Mr P are both so poorly.
I wish I could wave a magic wand!

How exciting to be at the Phil Spencer stage on a house purchase Mamissimo does this mean DS will move out?
DD is desperate to buy a place of their own. She keeps sending me rightmove cottages for me to drool over. It's too expensive for the time being. They will move into a more permanent tied house soon. They both work on a Scottish estate. Beautiful but remote.
Fingers crossed for them all.
It was so much easier 50 years ago when we were starting out. 100% mortgages which you could afford.

You're making me hungry with all the talk of food.
Where's Jeeves when you call him!

NfkDumpling Wed 21-Oct-20 13:27:57

Oh, gosh Panache I do wish we all lived closer and could come and at least bring soup and sustenance for you both and maybe do a bit of light dusting, even if we can't relieve your pain. This loss of access to the medical profession is difficult to understand. Our surgery is well battened down with only Covid suspects allowed in through the front door and all sorts of protection... But the level of infection here is tiny. So what are they doing? All our friends' surgeries are the same. The phones aren't answered and you can't call at the surgery so it seems the only contact is via their website. What people who have no internet do I have no idea.

And I am soo sorry Bradford for suggesting you watch Blackadder. I hadn't realised how bad your eyes are.

And I've never cooked a turnip either - they're horrible!

Doodle Wed 21-Oct-20 12:22:36

Mamissimo you crept in behind me while I was typing.
Ooh how exciting. I’m on the edge of my seat too. Let us know what happens.
Like the sound of that baguette. He could make one for me too while he’s at it ?

Doodle Wed 21-Oct-20 12:19:16

Panache you sound worn down by all this constant struggle to get help and treatment. I am not surprised. Being in pain and poor health yourself and trying to keep going for MrP.
I am so sorry the news has not been good about your DH but hope there is a chance the radiotherapy might help. As for you and this terrible pain, I hope they can increase your pain relief today.
No need to apologise for your post at all. You can always tell it like it is here I just wish we could offer more comfort and help.
You have provided us with lots of fun and laughter in the past but that is difficult when life brings such obstacles. We are here with you whatever. flowers
Cherry bizarrely enough my GP phoned saying he had my blood results this morning ?. Amazing how quickly they got through. I have now been given the go ahead to take the medication prescribed.
Bradfordlass sorry you weren’t feeling that great again.
I am quite enjoying our chat about veg. I too love ground black pepper. I might try doing some mashing (for some reason that makes me think of pop music but I don’t know why ?) . DH isn’t fond of mash which is why I don’t do it often but some of the ideas that have been posted make me interested to try.
I hadn’t really considered the fact that you wouldn’t be able to watch the TV. That must be so restricting for you. Do you listen to radio broadcasts much?
Hope you enjoy your Buckwheat tea and a good sleep.
Grammaretto it’s always an upheaval when we have people ‘in’ to do things, Be a good job to get that roof fixed before the worst of the weather starts (having said that, there is torrential rain here)
Clapshots well I never. Not heard of that before.
Good that MrG slept well but sorry you didn’t. Hope tonight is better.
Any thoughts about another Carry on name for the next thread. That seems like a good idea.
dragonfly if you’re not around when we move I will leave you a trail of cake crumbs to follow and some big arrows on the ground ?
I must confess I have never cooked a turnip. Probably because DH says he doesn’t like them. Mind you he doesn’t like parsnips either but I love them. I must purchase one and have a go.
So clapshot, rot mos and now Hutspot. The things we learn on this thread. My favourite is Bubble and Squeak. Now that I do like. ?. Have a good day all.

Mamissimo Wed 21-Oct-20 11:52:07

We're the Keep Calm and Carry On shielding Crew ?

I'm on the edge of my seat.....DS has just made an offer on a house but the agent dealing with the property is out of the office. He's been looking for over a year and this is the first one that met the essential criteria and he could see himself in. He actually got all Phil Spencer and asked how much they would accept to take it off the market today.....so we wait.

He's coping with the waiting by making a sausage and fried onion baguette. I'm dreaming of finally fitting out my sewing room!

Will definitely be growing lovely white turnips and have also plumped for celeriac because I love that too! I could easily become vegetarian if I didn't like meat and if Mr M ate more veg. He's a child of a doting mother who didn't make him eat his greens.

Hope we all have good outcomes today!

Panache Wed 21-Oct-20 11:43:58

`Morning gangsters.

Here comes the lame duck again!!

So sad reading of so many of our little gang having such problems with their other halves......Doodle*,*Grammeretto and you Cherry whilst the carers are themselves feeling the strain.
Most understandably.
Indeed calling the Surgery and having that all important contact with your GP is crucial, and yet so many of us are facing differing scenarios.
Why is it that then my nurse could access a Doctor of choice for me within seconds?

Norstat sorry hearing you too remain "under par",no fun at all simply dragging along day in,day out.

Having had nothing but upsetting news about my beloved I have somehow started losing the plot.
Then on hearing the Dentist suggesting I need to see a Maxillofacial Consultant about this ongoing palate issue, having noted I was also increasingly hoarse............this again means a long distance travel which is out of the question at this very difficult time.
But it has truly added to the catalogue of on going problems.
Worse was to come,rather similar to how you Cherry describe your partner`s chronic pain due to those disintegrated discs,this is an ongoing situation I have faced for many years,having been fairly free of the deeper pain. I have almost suddenly been struck in agonising pains and am virtually bed bound.
Hopefully will recieve some treatments later as my twice daily morphine does nothing much to ease this pain.
So quite frankly, this is rather a bleak place and we await with trepidation what Shielding will mean this time when we go into this "Firebreak" otherways known as a mini lockdown on friday.

I can but add my thanks for that morsel of comfort you offered us Cherry about this League of friends accomodation near Morriston...............this may well just be what we need to help my man, so please yes,do tell us more.

Apologies for a very jumbled and miserable posting but I do so want you all to know what is happening and why I am so erratic these days.
I so want to be here and join in on the fun side, but everything simply is stacking up against me.

Hoping nmost sincerely each one in need will be attended to and you all find that peace deep within.............and the rest of you will keep the rest of us smiling broadly!!

dragonfly46 Wed 21-Oct-20 10:23:29

Hallo everyone. I hope I manage to get my post in before we move.
So sorry to hear about all the poorly DH's. I am not a very good carer - I was quite relieved when my DH was taken into hospital 5 years ago with what they thought was flu. It turned out to be Legionnaires!

I hope your DH's hospital appointment goes well Grammaretto and they can offer some solutions. Maybe hiding his tablets in his food like a did Dexter.

Yes home is best isn't it Doodle. I somehow feel safer at home at the moment. I hope you DH continues to improve.

Bradfordlass are you too feeling better? And you too Nortsat.

I too love turnips Mammissimo - I get them in my veg box sometimes. I assume you mean the small white ones. I too love swede although harder to prepare.
In the Netherlands mashed carrots, neeps and potato is called Hutspot and eaten with smoked sausage. They love mashing their veg with potatoes - usually curly kale or sauerkraut.

Grammaretto Wed 21-Oct-20 09:09:12

Hello gangsters,

I'm up and about earlier than usual for the roofers coming. They're on the roof now. I hope they don't fall through. When they are done, another outfit will repair the fallen ceiling. eventually
Oh for a quiet life!
While we are still on a vegetable theme: Neeps and tatties mashed together are called clapshot in Scots. In Scandinavia it's root mousse/rot mos.

A new name for us! Another Carry on theme?
DH slept better thankfully, so thanks Jeeves, but I didn't. Insomnia is awful isnt it.
The auto correct wants me to write insolvency or indonesia. grin

I'm sorry so many of you and DPs are not well and in pain.
Sending hugs and flowers.
flowerscupcake
Cake and flowers.

BradfordLass73 Tue 20-Oct-20 23:11:12

Hi Gang!
Like some of you here, I had a yukky day yesterday but am more hopeful of this one and to cheer myself up, will talk about vegetables. smile
Grammaretto I can sense your weariness and frustration about this awful, ongoing situation, exacerbated by a hundred other things crowding in on you.
I wonder why men are often too stubborn to take the medication, after all, if they don't like it, then it's an act of macho bravery to take it, isn't it?

I almost used the word 'neeps' when wittering on about Swedes but thought no one would understand.

Doodle I tend to put pepper, especially freshly ground black pepper on many savoury dishes. Mum always made white sauce for cauli and although I've tried cheese (and love cheese of all kinds) I don't like cauli that way.
I think she felt, by not adding the cheese, she was saving it for another meal. Ultra-frugal, my Mum.
She used to make something she called cheese soufflé but was just strong-cheese sauce into which she'd beaten an egg. With toast soldiers, this was one of my favourite teas as a child. I still make it occasionally.

The steamed veg you buy are available here too. My son lived on them and hot rotisserie chicken when he was training.
Your clever Mum, freezing capsules !!

Missedout You say you ordered a choclate cake and cream tea to be delivered? It didn't arrive are you sure you put 'Waitakere' on the address?
grin
Happy Birthday MrM

Nfk Although I very occasionally order a DVD from the library (and they don't have Blackadder) I can only listen. Movies and photographs, unless they are bright, are beyond my vision now.
Nortsat Drat! Another rough few days, I hope they pass soon.
Yes, turnip and carrot mashed is a favourite as well and although I've heard of mashing neeps into the taties, I haven't tried it but I do love leek sauce.
Every now and then I have a carb day and in the cold winter, it might be Yorkshire puddings - alwasy with leek sauce. Yum smile
How did the 11 o' clock appointment go?

Cherry I hope a bit of rest will ease you; it's sad to think these lightning strikes debilitate you so.
Oooh, broccoli is another favourite (in fact the only veg I don't like is okra). I usually put about an inch of water in the pan, stand the broc in it stalk side down and let it come to the boil, then turn off the heat. I love it dipped raw or par-cooked into garlic hummus.
Your vegie bake sounds delish, do you top it with a cheese sauce? If so, have you ever tried beating a raw egg into the cooling cheese sauce just before you pour it over and bake? It comes up so beautifully fluffy.

You'd think all this talk of vegetable would have made me hungry but alas. The lurgy may have gone but the state of the old tum is still very delicate, so it's Buckwheat Tea for me - then I'm off back to bed sad

Wishing you all good, strong, persevering spirits.

CherryCezzy Tue 20-Oct-20 23:09:01

I couldn't fall asleep so decided to take a peek of the threads.
Glad your blood test went like clockwork Doodle. How long will it be before you get the result?
? I like the idea of blooms all over our house but perhaps not with the shrub attached ?.

I remember having the honour of naming this thread Doodle and I would be happy to name the next but perhaps the honour should go to another gangster. The way things are going with covid each of us could end up having the opportunity to name a thread which would be really nice.

Night night ?

Doodle Tue 20-Oct-20 22:16:57

Nfk how sweet Bottom has a little friend. They are lucky to have found a home in your garden.
Did your DGS see Bottom on his visit?
grammaretto your tale about your DH and his medicine reminds me of a visit to my dear brother in the middle stages of Dementia and my wonderful SIL. We sat down to lunch together and my SIL put the tablets by my brothers plate and said it’s time for your tablets. My brother inspected each one very carefully and then said no I don’t think so. Throughout the meal my SIL tried to encourage him to take the tablets and very politely he refused. At the end of the meal he looked plate with the tablets on and said what are those. SIL sighed they’re your tablets. Oh he said, can’t forget those then and downed them all ?
What a fantastic link, thank you grin somehow I don’t think they will be as tasty as M&S because I haven’t perfected the art of knitting cakes yet (although they might be better than my baking)
Grammaretto I Hope MrG’s appointment provides some help with your situation. Perhaps they can persuade him to take the tablets. Are your nights disrupted a lot. You need to take care of yourself too.
I am sending Jeeves up with a special variety hot chocolate to soothe you both. Hope it works.
Cherry I don’t really find it funny but I did picture you in my mind with a large unruly shrub suddenly bursting into bloom in your house and taking up all the space ?
I hope you are ok and a good sleep will make things better.
I’d rather talk about gentle subjects like our favourite veg than some of the more abrasive discussions on GN.
I have never had a vegetable bake. I do like veg. DH with IBS has to be careful so we are limited in what we have.
I don’t like things being over cooked either.
I am so sorry your WP is in constant pain. I had no idea. That is a situation I cannot imagine. Does he have a tens machine or something like that which helps.
I thought for a minute reading your last but one paragraph that you were suggesting my DH had gone off with Nortsat grin.
I now realise you were talking to me and yes I did go tonight for my bloods and it was the most efficient blood test I have ever had. Back home for a glass of wine to replace all that had been taken out in the test. ?
Now Cherry I have a little job for you. No rush we’ve got plenty of time. I’m not sure how many gangsters know that it was you who encouraged me to start this thread with the promise that you would join in. We are coming towards the end of our third thread and we need a new name for the next one. So Cherry I give that task to you. A title for our next one please.
I hope all the other gangsters are ok and all of you sleep well.

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion