Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

I was heartened to read this about covid.

(58 Posts)
SpringyChicken Fri 07-Aug-20 15:28:04

This article from the BBC puts a different perspective on the UK's increasing new cases.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-53656852

growstuff Sat 08-Aug-20 19:14:13

Peardrop50

Good to read a positive take on things and the writer may be right but for now I prefer to err on the side of caution, hand washing, no face touching, mixing with as few as possible, not gathering in crowds, social distancing wherever possible and mask wearing where appropriate.

I prefer to err on the side of caution too. I'm afraid articles such as that one make me quite cross because people are likely to become complacent and take more risks.

It's all very well blaming "others" and the government blaming the public, but the truth is that the virus is still in the community (except BlueBell's) and every single one of us needs to be responsible and carry on with social distancing, hand washing and masks.

grabba Sat 08-Aug-20 23:01:59

Spike in Aberdeen has been a blot on the landscape for now. So disappointing after all the care people have been taking.

growstuff Sun 09-Aug-20 07:35:54

This is just over an hour, but well worth watching if you want to find out about real difficulties on the ground:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DZWAJNq1Ro

Franbern Sun 09-Aug-20 09:21:38

Ohm Bluebelle, I do envy you the swimming. Where I am (also few cases), the swimming pools have not opened - as they say they cannot afford to do so and have lesser numbers than usual using it. My. g.children have swum in the sea - not for me though. I find it rather silly that the ONE place covered in bleach (chlorine), and giving such excellent exercise are all still closed.
I have very limited mobility for walking, etc. but could swim a little in a pool. The only real exercise I could do safely.
No idea what the local obesity rate is and how many cardiac arrests/strokes etc. I would guess a awful lot more than cases of Covid.

justwokeup Sun 09-Aug-20 10:32:14

Thanks Springy for your welcome link, a pity it seems to have started a bit of mass hysteria. I find it better, and more interesting, to read the actual figures on independent sites and make my own conclusions. As in BlueBelle's area, all our local hospitals are now down to a single ward of Covid patients. Also, Schools in some countries went back in April and there's no media handwringing going on about those countries so, backed up by science and good sense, let our kids to go back too. Definitely for their mental health (and that of some of their vulnerable parents) it's time they got back some routine in their lives, with friends! Surely it's simple - if you are nervous about all this, continue to self-isolate, but don't try to deny young people a life too. Like sparklingsilver28, I count my blessings and also turn off the owner/editor-pleasing journalists. grin

growstuff Sun 09-Aug-20 11:21:08

Yes, let pupils go back to school, but look at the experience of other countries. In the UK, there will be no social distancing. There can't be because classes are too big and classrooms too small.

In Crépy-en-Valois, France, there was an outbreak within days of the schools reopening. The virus spread rampantly through the secondary school. 38% of students were infected, along with 43% of teachers and 59% of non-teaching staff.

I don't understand how you can call facts hysteria. I prefer to acknowledge them rather than sticking my head in the sand.

Incidentally, the YouTube link I posted has loads of original facts.

growstuff Sun 09-Aug-20 11:23:05

BTW I'm not nervous. I'm accepting and realistic.