Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Grandparents Looking After Grandchildren

(6 Posts)
RHP1951 Fri 07-Aug-20 15:51:55

Any idea what the rules are on this scenario?
My 22 month old granddaughter is living with her grandmother. The grand mother is single and under 70.
My wife and I are a married couple and my wife is over 70 with health issues such as C.O.P.D.
We want to help support our granddaughter by baby sitting her, taking her by car to nursery and having stay overnight with us maybe once per month.
I don't think we fit the bubble scenario as we are a married couple. Also my wife is over 70 as well. I found this information on this website;

Can I babysit my grandchildren?

Live on your own? Yes, if you are not shielding you are able to form a bubble with another household which could be that of your grandchildren. You will not be required to follow social distancing so practically this allows you to babysit them.

Live with a partner or other adult? No, although hopefully you won't have long to wait. From 4th July restrictions have eased to allow you to see them but you are still required to keep your distance.

Can anyone give me an answer to our dilemma?

Confused

suziewoozie Fri 07-Aug-20 16:18:10

Shielding has been paused. If your dgd lives only with her grandmother ( ie a single ‘parent’ household) you can form a bubble with them if they have not already formed a bubble with anyone else. You can do all the things you want eg have her to stay over etc.. The only question is whether you are prepared to take whatever risk this poses.

RHP1951 Fri 07-Aug-20 18:32:48

Hi Suziewoozie

Thanks for the message.
What do you think of the idea that there are 3 or 4 other immediate family members who want to form bubbles so they can look after the granddaughter including letting her stay with them overnight?

RHP1951

Oopsadaisy3 Fri 07-Aug-20 18:53:58

RHP you then have to find out who the other people have seen and been mixing with and figure out the risk and if it’s acceptable.

You can’t form multiple bubbles.

At the end of the day you have to make a choice based on your gut, not what anyone else says

J52 Fri 07-Aug-20 19:58:04

There are mixed messages on what is acceptable. In your position I would do my own risk assessment and take into account emotional needs.
I would have contact with my grandchildren.

suziewoozie Fri 07-Aug-20 20:43:31

In E you can only be in one bubble. You can only be in a bubble if one of the households is a single adult or a single parent with non adult children. This is quite clear in the guidance. Whether you follow it or not is your choice based on what you think is appropriate.