Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

New school term, risks for grandparents

(82 Posts)
Speldnan Tue 18-Aug-20 07:52:34

I see my grandchildren at least once a week. I’m worried now that they are soon going back to school (aged 8 and 4) whether it will be safe to still see them regularly. It seems inevitable that there will be outbreaks of coronavirus in schools and if children are asymptomatic it could be even more dangerous to be seeing them. I really don’t know what to do! I’ve been in a bubble with them so we’ve been interacting as normal up until now. What will other grandparents be doing?

Nanna58 Tue 15-Sep-20 17:23:35

I have returned to looking after DGS when lockdown ended and will continue to do so after he finishes school each day. As some might know I post on The Black Dog Gang thread and have struggled with depression all my life. Yes I’m being careful , but the benefits of being with and hugging DGS for me far outweigh any risks.

bikergran Wed 16-Sep-20 07:59:45

Everything will soon be thrown into chaos again.

Elder GS 14 was back at school one week before the txt msg came through" PUPILS of yr 10 should stay off school tomorrow as a case of Covid has been reported"

Two days later another txt "Pupils of yr 10 can now return to school"!

This is obviously going to just go on and on, pupils parents not knowing from one day to another.

If elder GS has to stay off then the younger GS age 5 will have to stay off as his brother has to stay off school in case of infection.

Daughter has more or less lost her job as nhs worker as no childcare, childminder are not allowed to mix from different schools.

It is another nightmare waiting in the wings.

Danda Thu 17-Sep-20 18:10:36

Both my husband and myself are vulnerable, especially my husband. My daughter is autistic, and has other health issues. She can only manage with lots of support from myself. Her six year old daughter has spent almost half of each week with me since she was born. I did all the home schooling during lockdown, and she did very well. Now she is back at school, and the infection rate is rising. My daughter's anxiety is going through the roof. She's terrified that we might get ill, but knows she can't manage on her own. I've got to decide whether to risk infection or go back to home education. I can see no other choose. Is anyone else facing such a decision?

PamelaJ1 Thu 17-Sep-20 18:22:00

Apart from our age, under 70, we are very well and healthy. Neither of us has any underlying conditions,, are not taking any medication and are not overweight. We live in an area that has a very low incidence of the virus.
We are picking our GS up tomorrow and had him last week when he wasn’t feeling well. Not with symptoms of CV. We are both quite happy about seeing him but that is our choice, I do understand that many grandparents are much more worried.

Nandalot Thu 17-Sep-20 20:27:17

Judging by the way a common cold has run rampant through DGC’s class this week, if a pupil with asymptomatic Covid is present that will spread phenomenally. They have been taking all the precautions: keeping the windows open in class, no sharing of equipment/resources, lots of hand washing. However, the desks are in rows but because of the size of the classroom children are sitting directly next to each other.
We locked down with our daughter and DGC from the start and we are still seeing them every day but wonder if we should as we are both over 70.

kenmac4850 Fri 25-Sep-20 15:54:58

My wife (aged 70) is picking up one of our grandaughters from school daily. She uses public transport to get there and then walks her to her home, and when my son gets home from work, brings my wife home. My main concern is that I was rushed into hospital a month ago with pneumonia and was diagnosed with COPD and spent 12 days in hospital. After 2 weeks at home I was admitted again under emergency and spent 3 days there,should we really be doing this school run, given our ages and medical condition?