Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Mask washing

(85 Posts)
winterwhite Tue 01-Sep-20 12:06:30

Who's have thought we'd be reduced to worrying about washing face masks?
But what's this I read about the 'correct' procedure: reusable face masks should be washed after every use at 60 degrees?! Has everyone but me doing this all along? I thought those little filters would obviate the need for that and even disposable masks are, or used to be until no doubt the mask police came along, marketed for use 4-5 times. There'll be mask shortages soon as cotton masks shrink at daily washes at 60 degrees.

maddyone Wed 11-Nov-20 17:11:11

Wheniwasyourage What a very good idea grin

Wheniwasyourage Wed 11-Nov-20 16:29:32

That's why I make sure that I have a nice glass of wine on the day I've done the shopping, maddyone. It's just as well to be careful! grin

maddyone Wed 11-Nov-20 13:17:59

Lucca have you thought of injecting your turkey with Brandy? Alcohol is a good disinfectant grin

Callistemon Wed 11-Nov-20 12:09:13

Callistemon, I have found that the steam from my Christmas sprouts, which have, of course, been boiling away for several months now, is keeping my kitchen permanently steam-cleaned, so that saves a bit of time.

Wheniwasyourage - well done, I am all for short cuts in cleaning.
My sprouts are well on the way too, I must go and add a handful of bicarbonate of soda because that keeps them nice and green.

maddyone Wed 11-Nov-20 10:18:12

I don’t believe for one minute that the only way to clean a washable mask is to wash it at 60 degrees. Detergent, soap, and disinfectant kills the virus, so if the mask is washed with a normal laundry detergent, it will be cleaned.

Alexa Tue 10-Nov-20 18:04:21

I wash my pale blue disposables in hot toilet- soap suds. Virus is not very robust when it is out of the living host tissues. Better to wash masks frequently than put them up your sleeve of into a pocket.

PamelaJ1 Tue 10-Nov-20 18:02:46

Lucca

I’m exhausted from injecting the turkey with disinfectant ready for Christmas which is only 45 days away.

OMG, I haven’t got my turkey yet, will I be too late?
I’m too busy trying to book accommodation for the Lytham festival next June/July.
It’s all full or really really expensive. I do hope I won’t have to worry about washing masks by then.

SpringyChicken Tue 10-Nov-20 17:26:06

The guidance I've read says it is sufficient to wash them in the washing machine with the rest of the laundry and normal washing detergent. Air dry or tumble. I press mine with a steam iron for good measure.

grandtanteJE65 Tue 10-Nov-20 14:40:20

I doubt hospital staff wear the same mask for all of a working day.

Here we are told they should never be put back on again if you take them off without disinfecting them.

Lucca Tue 10-Nov-20 14:37:32

I’m exhausted from injecting the turkey with disinfectant ready for Christmas which is only 45 days away.

grandtanteJE65 Tue 10-Nov-20 14:37:19

I wash our cloth masks either at 60 or 90 degrees.

If I am in a rush, I scald them in two separate lots of boiling water.

Why? Because the masks become damp and unpleasant when you wear them, and germs breed in damp conditions.

Wheniwasyourage Tue 10-Nov-20 14:26:04

cupafful, I haven't tried it, but I read advice somewhere about making a small roll of foil and putting it inside the mask so that you can fit it over your nose. It then should fit more tightly and not let your glasses steam up so easily. I find that if I put my glasses on firmly over the top of my mask that helps, but some days, when it's cold or damp outside, you are probably going to steam up whatever you do!

Callistemon, I have found that the steam from my Christmas sprouts, which have, of course, been boiling away for several months now, is keeping my kitchen permanently steam-cleaned, so that saves a bit of time.

Daddima Tue 10-Nov-20 14:10:47

petra

Daddima
Have you thought that through?

Okay, I’ll prepare to look an eejit!

petra Tue 10-Nov-20 13:53:33

Daddima
Have you thought that through?

petra Tue 10-Nov-20 13:52:12

Callistemon
You mean to tell me you've only just thought about steam cleaning your house ?

Daddima Tue 10-Nov-20 13:50:11

I wonder if microwaves would kill the virus? I’ve never seen it recommended.

Puzzler61 Tue 10-Nov-20 13:47:40

Have you tried a mask with soft wire over the nose to pinch gently and get a close fit on your face? I find my breath doesn’t escape up to my specs.
Sorry, mine have been bought online but I’m sure others will be along with pattern suggestions soon.

cupaffull Tue 10-Nov-20 12:29:11

Would really appreciate any recommended designs for homemade facemasks that don't cause my specs to steam up each time I put them on.
OH and I both struggling.... Many thanks

Franbern Tue 10-Nov-20 12:08:14

Callistemon

Just off to steam clean my house!
I could be gone some time .....

Hope you have full PPE!!!

Callistemon Tue 10-Nov-20 11:52:14

Just off to steam clean my house!
I could be gone some time .....

growstuff Tue 10-Nov-20 11:50:34

Franbern

Lucca

But first scrub the floors wearing full hand knitted PPE

grin And.....don't forget to bleach everything in sight!!!!

But please don't drink it!

Franbern Tue 10-Nov-20 10:58:25

Lucca

grin And.....don't forget to bleach everything in sight!!!!

Lucca Tue 10-Nov-20 10:32:03

Callistemon Tue 10-Nov-20 10:29:08

Lucca

I wondered if this was going to be one one of those competitive cleaning threads..... you know the “I leave the post outside for a week, disinfect the entire house twice daily, boil wash OH every Saturday.......”

Wash at 300° and never, ever, put them in with the tea towels.

MissAdventure Tue 10-Nov-20 10:03:04

smile