Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

School infection

(94 Posts)
GagaJo Mon 07-Sep-20 10:47:02

Teachers infected (by students?) in schools in Suffolk, Middlesbrough, North Yorkshire and County Durham.

I feel for my colleagues. So much for no risk. So much for not needing masks.

BlueBelle Mon 07-Sep-20 10:58:54

You have a link? I live in Suffolk and haven’t heard about it ? Not saying it doesn’t exist just saying nothing on local news etc So a link would be good as Suffolk is a very big county it would be good to see some more information

GagaJo Mon 07-Sep-20 11:10:24

I'll have a look Bluebell. Think it was Haverhill?

GagaJo Mon 07-Sep-20 11:12:23

Can't do the link on my phone, but it is Haverhill. 5 infected teachers.

MawB2 Mon 07-Sep-20 11:22:20

www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwjLz5Xk6NbrAhXMN8AKHW27D88QFjAFegQICBAB&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.dailymail.co.uk%2Fnews%2Farticle-8705053%2FSchool-shut-FIVE-teachers-test-positive-coronavirus.html&usg=AOvVaw2KAnQMJaUWjJJzno-CMqmM

Oopsadaisy4 Mon 07-Sep-20 11:24:28

Sounds as though they already had it though, doesn’t it? As the students have only just returned......

BlueBelle Mon 07-Sep-20 11:41:25

Sounds like the teachers took it into the schools as they ve only just opened

MawB2 Mon 07-Sep-20 12:01:24

My thinking too. When did secondary students go back?
Perhaps staff brought it back from their holidays. I don’t think there would even have been enough time since any Inset days (prob last Tuesday, Wed) allowing for infection plus test results time too

growstuff Mon 07-Sep-20 12:24:01

Oopsadaisy4

Sounds as though they already had it though, doesn’t it? As the students have only just returned......

Not necessarily. The first pupils were back on Thursday. There had been a staff training day and it wasn't announced until Sunday. Investigations are taking place to find out where it came from and how it's been transmitted. Meanwhile, the pupils who cam in contact with the teachers have been asked to self-isolate and there are some pupils waiting for results.

growstuff Mon 07-Sep-20 12:26:46

Year 7, 12 and 13 went back on Thursday. Years 8 and 10 went back on Friday. There had been a staff training day and staff were in school during the whole week.

growstuff Mon 07-Sep-20 12:27:56

Another two teachers have also been tested and awaiting results.

growstuff Mon 07-Sep-20 12:28:54

From a personal point of view, I hope it hasn't come from the community because I was planning on going to B and Q in Haverhill this week!

Lucca Mon 07-Sep-20 12:31:13

MawB2

My thinking too. When did secondary students go back?
Perhaps staff brought it back from their holidays. I don’t think there would even have been enough time since any Inset days (prob last Tuesday, Wed) allowing for infection plus test results time too

Return depended on area I think.

Lucca Mon 07-Sep-20 12:31:46

Couldn’t find which school in North Yorkshire ?

MawB2 Mon 07-Sep-20 12:34:30

Growstuff According to the County website, Suffolk schools opened on Tuesday 1 September and most schools will have started off with 1 or more Inset days - especially after the disruption of last term.

GagaJo Mon 07-Sep-20 12:34:54

Also in Blyth, Northumberland (from a friend who is the business manager), not sure if the media got that one yet.

MawB2 Mon 07-Sep-20 12:35:07

growstuff

Year 7, 12 and 13 went back on Thursday. Years 8 and 10 went back on Friday. There had been a staff training day and staff were in school during the whole week.

But not presumably BH Monday.

Baggs Mon 07-Sep-20 12:41:49

The point, surely, is not whether teachers are infected but whether they are ill. The more testing is done the more infections will be found but presumably those who tested positive did not know they were infected or they wouldn't have been in school to get tested.

The number of cases is not the important number. The important numbers are hospitalisations and deaths. Are these going up?

GagaJo Mon 07-Sep-20 12:45:11

Did anyone see the article about a teacher who'd had C19 dying in front of her students in a Zoom lesson?

Oopsminty Mon 07-Sep-20 12:53:05

GagaJo

Did anyone see the article about a teacher who'd had C19 dying in front of her students in a Zoom lesson?

Goodness me, no. I didn't hear about that. How awful

My youngest daughter returned down south to start her Year 1 class last Monday.

She has now gone down with a sore throat and cough. She's pretty sure it's just a cold. Teachers do tend to get many bugs.

But she's off school. Ordered her test on Saturday, got it delivered yesterday

Hopefully the results will be back soon and she can get back to work

However I see a lot of this happening amongst teachers and pupils. My daughter reckons she gets 3 or 4 colds a year.

Oopsminty Mon 07-Sep-20 12:56:53

Found a link about the teacher who died whilst teaching on Zoom. Just tragic.

7news.com.au/lifestyle/health-wellbeing/teacher-dies-of-covid-in-front-of-shocked-students-during-video-class-c-1296346

MerylStreep Mon 07-Sep-20 13:09:34

the important numbers are hospitalisation and deaths
Exactly!! If there were a huge rise in hospitalisation and deaths the media would be all over it. Or, they are hiding these numbers. Very difficult in these times.
I know 2 young people ( mid 30s) they tested positive and felt a bit unwell

Franbern Mon 07-Sep-20 13:18:00

Baggs

The point, surely, is not whether teachers are infected but whether they are ill. The more testing is done the more infections will be found but presumably those who tested positive did not know they were infected or they wouldn't have been in school to get tested.

The number of cases is not the important number. The important numbers are hospitalisations and deaths. Are these going up?

Exactly - and the Government tables I posted in another thread yesterday, shows these are low and levelled.

MayBee70 Mon 07-Sep-20 13:28:40

There is a time lag of several weeks between infection rate increasing and death rates rising. Thankfully fewer people are dying of the virus due to more knowledge about how to treat it but there will still be many people suffering long term effects even if they aren’t hospitalised.

trisher Mon 07-Sep-20 13:35:18

I don't suppose it is much comfort to the teachers involved that the death rate isn't increasing. The long-term health problems which result from Covid are probably more of a worry, particularly for any staff who have other health problems. They may be off work for weeks, months or even years. Masks might have helped but I do now think that there is now a policy of developing herd immunity being put in place, allowing the virus to spread amongst the younger population. So I suppose teachers are just collateral damage.