Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Protect Scotland Covid app launched

(99 Posts)
Marydoll Thu 10-Sep-20 19:06:28

This is for Scottish grans.

I was wondering how many people today, like me, have downloaded NHS Scotland’s new contact tracing app to help suppress the spread of coronavirus.

If you have, how successful do you think it will be?

paddyanne Thu 10-Sep-20 22:38:59

The website is no use to my 86 year old MIL who lives alone and depends on the briefings to keep her informed .Maybe thats the plan,they did try to say it was the older generations who voted against Independence in2014 so if they keep them in the dark they might think they can fool them into believeing the lies again....I wouldn't bet on it though .My MIL ,life long labour will vote YES next time and there are tens of thousands the same

Callistemon Thu 10-Sep-20 23:06:21

Surely BBC Scotland will keep up-to-date with Scottish briefings and news? I hope so.

Otherwise, join us in a moan - we always hear English news, then Scottish news but never any Welsh news unless we tune in to BBC Wales.

Marelli Thu 10-Sep-20 23:15:40

I downloaded the app this afternoon.
My only concern is that Bluetooth has to be on all the time, so can that be a security risk, does anyone know?

Katek Thu 10-Sep-20 23:36:54

Think you should be ok security wise Marelli-app doesn’t store data plus it’s the same technology used in the Northern Ireland proximity app. That’s been running for a few weeks now and doesn’t seem to have had any security issues.

The app should work on iPhones from 6s onwards that are running IOS 13 or on android phones from 6.0. Basically any phone from 2015 onward should support the app as long as the software has been kept up to date.

Marelli Thu 10-Sep-20 23:49:27

Thanks, Katek. I'd been daft/bored enough to read a Facebook 'discussion' about it, and that made me wary. ?

Marydoll Thu 10-Sep-20 23:54:52

Marelli, this is from the Govt. website.

The app does not store details on an individual or their location but uses encrypted, anonymised codes exchanged between smartphones to determine all close contacts. Close contacts are defined as people who have been within two metres of someone who has tested positive for 15 minutes.

Marelli Thu 10-Sep-20 23:59:38

Thankyou, Marydoll. I'm not very tech-savvy, especially regarding my phone!

SueDonim Fri 11-Sep-20 00:52:49

Oh good, an end at last to the daily party political broadcast by the SNP. Sturgeon’s got Holyrood as her mouthpiece. She shouldn’t be using this platform paid for by licence holders to spout her politics for free.

Lucca Fri 11-Sep-20 05:59:54

I confess to having stopped watching any briefings On a regular basis as being bad for stress levels but I honestly find it hard to believe nicola sturgeon was using it to “spout her politics”.
She impresses me greatly with her dignity and clarity , two words one one never apply to Boris (or Matt or Gavin, Grant..)

Lucca Fri 11-Sep-20 06:00:40

“One would never”

Marydoll Fri 11-Sep-20 06:26:19

I don't regard it as as an excuse to spout her politics, only as an opportunity to keep us up to date with what is happening in a clear and concise manner.
I have to.stress Im not a great fan of the SNP, so no bias here.

I watched Boris' briefing the other day and I got the feeling that he was making it up as he went along.☹️

Lucca Fri 11-Sep-20 08:20:30

Marydoll I agree. I’m not Scottish and don’t feel qualified to be or not be a supporter of SNP policies I just think she conducts herself well

Alegrias Fri 11-Sep-20 08:30:13

There's no party politics in the briefings SueDonim. I do wonder what people hear when they watch them, it's certainly not what I hear. I don't want the BBC's interpretation of what they consider is good editorial content, I want the leader of our government's response to this pandemic telling what they are doing about it.

Elegran Fri 11-Sep-20 09:20:01

Suedonim I am certainly not a member of the SNP, but I have never heard a word of party politics in any of Nicola Sturgeon's briefings. Have you ever watched one? They are about the CoVid position and what is the latest news and advice about that. Her concern at the moment is getting Scotland through this pandemic. Your own post "spouted" ten times as much "politics for free" as all the First Minister's briefings put together.

Parsley3 Fri 11-Sep-20 09:27:30

I don't understand the accusation of party politics in the briefings either. However, it seems that a job well done needs to be criticised on some grounds to give the opposition something to say. At present, the opposition in Holywood is woeful. The Conservative, Labour and Lib Dems all need to get a grip and show some leadership.

Jane10 Fri 11-Sep-20 10:32:07

I don't agree that SNP have done a good job at all. It's surprising that so many people conflate a presenting style with a skill in running a country. Fiona Bruce or George Alegiah present the news well but they don't generate what they tell us about. Boris is a very poor presenter but he's not the whole government.
Note I'm not impressed by the Tories government either.

Alegrias Fri 11-Sep-20 10:56:37

We're talking about communicating with the populace in an effective manner, not whether the SNP have done a good job.

NS stands up there every day and tells us the state of the nation, and what we have to do to try to fix it. And unlike Fiona Bruce or George Alegiah she does actually have a significant role in generating what she tells us about. She doesn't just turn up when there is good news to share. Most people I know in Scotland appreciate her giving us updates on a regular basis. I wish we could have the same for the whole of the UK but the WM government doesn't seem to think that's important.

Marydoll Fri 11-Sep-20 11:15:33

My original post wasn't intended to generate a discussion as to whether Nicola Sturgeon was doing a good job or not.
It was a simple question, asking whether people had downloaded the app or not.
I also asked whether people thought it was going to be a success or not.

As usual, some people have ignored the question and seized the opportunity to criticise politicians. If my intention had been to generate that type of discussion, I would have put it in the Politics Forum. sad.

Jane10 Fri 11-Sep-20 11:46:24

Well that's what happen when St Nicola is raised in a thread!

Lucca Fri 11-Sep-20 11:58:40

Why the sarcastic st nicola ?

Marydoll Fri 11-Sep-20 11:59:32

Of course you are correct Jane, but how many people actually answered the original question?

I don't think Nicola has been canonised yet. I think you need to have two miracles attributed to you, AFTER death, to be raised to sainthood. As far as I'm aware, wee Nicola is still alive and kicking. wink

Elegran Fri 11-Sep-20 12:02:35

To return to the app. - I would download it, but my mobile is old and it uses Windows. I don't imagine there will be a version of the app that will work on it. If anyone knows better, please tell me.

Marydoll Fri 11-Sep-20 12:07:11

You are correct, I think Elegran, which in itself could be seen as discrimatory. It should be accessible for all those who wish to download it.

I was interested to know, if anyone was opposed to it and why.
I like to know other's views in case I have blindly followed the hype.

Jaxjacky Fri 11-Sep-20 12:11:54

App for England and Wales to be launched 24th September, I will download it.

ayse Fri 11-Sep-20 12:16:45

I’m very concerned about the whole security issue so I’m not downloading any of these apps unless we have to. I might even dump my smart phone except for home use.

It’s all too much like big brother for me