Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Would (will?) you snitch on your neighbours?

(180 Posts)
MawB2 Thu 17-Sep-20 11:19:31

As recommended by the fragrant Priti Patel?
What happened to “we’re all in this together”, “Brutush common sense” , “Blitz spirit” ?
From Michael Deacon in today’s DT who puts it better than I could
To encourage us, the Home Secretary Priti Patel has told an interviewer that she would happily snitch on her neighbours, should she catch them breaking the law. (British law, that is. Breaking international law is, of course, a completely different matter.)
Reporters duly travelled to Witham in Essex, to ask Ms Patel’s neighbours for a response. One woman replied that, in the circumstances described, she would cordially invite the Home Secretary to “do one”

Tellingly, the woman added: “It was all right for Dominic Cummings to drive up to his second house. It seems like one rule for them and one rule for us

I think (more than) a few of us are saying “Hear, hear”.

Barnshaw48 Fri 18-Sep-20 09:56:29

I’ll be too busy on my grouse shooting expeditions to be interested in what anyone else is doing........

T56ers Fri 18-Sep-20 09:56:39

No, I would not. I agree with PinkCakes and add to that list if I suspected terrorist activities.

I have to say that it's refreshing to see so many "nos".

Panda25 Fri 18-Sep-20 09:56:56

No I wouldn't unless it was a wild rowdy party

polnan Fri 18-Sep-20 09:57:53

well I am glad that I am not the only one to think of 1933 when Hitler began as Chancellor if I recall my history, and we all know what happened then...

so spying on neighbours, reporting them?? I don`t think I would,,, I have remember my history, how it all began and what it descended into... at the age of 9 years old, or thereabouts, I saw Belsen, on the Cinema... and I still see those pictures, the utter horror... and how it all began.

lemsip Fri 18-Sep-20 09:57:58

maybe people will be careful to obey the 'rules' in case neighbours 'snitch'. Maybe that's why priti patel said it!

Frosty60 Fri 18-Sep-20 09:58:19

No I wouldn’t. Like some others have commented it’s one rule for the powers that be and another for the British public.

MaggieMay69 Fri 18-Sep-20 09:59:18

I do not get the mentality behind it! 'GO TO WORK everyone! Eat out to help out! Don't work from home, we need the money! Get your kids back in school pronto, get the sports started again, go to the pub only until 10pm mind, covid doesn't hit you before 10:01pm, but DON'T invite poor isolated grandma round your house for tea and biscuits if you are already a family of six or you'll be heavily fined!'

I think this is being done to stop anyone rioting over the absolute balls up the Tories are making in this country. This isn't about safety, this is about keeping us all divided, compliant, easy to mould.
I hate my Country, and I go to bed scared and sad for my Grandchildren every single night.

Neilspurgeon0 Fri 18-Sep-20 10:00:04

Petty Patel needs her arse kicking

katho71 Fri 18-Sep-20 10:00:16

no i most definetly would not

Florida12 Fri 18-Sep-20 10:04:35

No

lovebeigecardigans1955 Fri 18-Sep-20 10:04:40

I agree with PinkCakes I'd only report neighbours for the dreadful things she's mentioned. I know I could rely on them if I was ill or whatever so I wouldn't snitch.

Elainecoley1957 Fri 18-Sep-20 10:04:48

100% NO! NO! NO!

What is the world coming to?
This whole pandemic can be managed by people behaving responsibly, if there are some who choose not- then I make sure I don't go anywhere near them!
Limiting households is another ridiculous measure. If everyone looked at themselves- we would be able to manage this naturally!

Missiseff Fri 18-Sep-20 10:05:16

Yes, and did during lockdown. Have stopped speaking to my next door neighbours of 14 years as they had their daughter (a nurse!) and grandaughter visiting every week throughout. It's people not adhering to the rules that are the reason this is such a mess.

Jen777 Fri 18-Sep-20 10:07:40

We all have to take responsibility for keeping ourselves and others safe (risk vs. cost). Clearly, there will be those who ignore that. It doesn't help that the most recent advice appears off centre given that we can sit in a bar with many others (and there's no way social distancing is observed in most such establishments) but only 6 at home. Irrespective, I would not snitch on a neighbour and if I was compelled (and I'd need a G&T or two before I did it), I'd have a quiet word. I think Ms Patel is way off key with her advice to snitch! BTW, I love the comments relating to Hyacinth!

TBsNana Fri 18-Sep-20 10:09:22

No because I think it's the best steps down a slippery slope that leads to a police state with informants and that enatils. Horrible.
I would however speak privately to the people and remind them of the law -that would be enough to calm down many people

TBsNana Fri 18-Sep-20 10:09:53

Typo - best should read first

Jess20 Fri 18-Sep-20 10:11:04

Possibly, if it was a huge party of dozens of people in a small space that encroached on my space - actually, perhaps not, I'd not want to fall out with my neighbours, I have to live with them.

Nannapat1 Fri 18-Sep-20 10:11:09

No certainly not; for starters I might have misunderstand the circumstances. I find the thought of a society where we are encouraged to spy on and report our neighbours for alleged misdemeanours quite terrifying.
My neighbours are highly unlikely to have the sort of of loud out of control going on til all hours disturbing the peace parties which might prompt me to make a complaint in normal times!

Aepgirl Fri 18-Sep-20 10:11:32

So most comments show that a noisy party of many people is more of a nuisance than a quiet party of many people! The point of no more than 6 is nothing to do with irritating noise, it’s to do with the health of us all.

Torbroud Fri 18-Sep-20 10:15:10

No

Nannapat1 Fri 18-Sep-20 10:15:16

Glad I don't live next door to you Missiseff!

sazz1 Fri 18-Sep-20 10:15:56

No definitely not. I'm very live and let live. They pay their money and take their chance. We keep ourselves safe, what they do is up to them.

Minerva Fri 18-Sep-20 10:16:08

If the people in the house next but one to me, expensive car driving university students in an MHO, have another all day party like they had on Sunday with 30 attendees (at least) lasting from 11 am to 10 pm then yes I will. I hate the way these parties go from jolly talking to raucous shouting and hysterical laughter as they drink more and more alcohol.
However the family two doors down the other way have had regular visits from other family throughout lockdown and on and on , virtually every day and I consider that their business.

So it all depends.

Craftycat Fri 18-Sep-20 10:23:41

No of course not. I am lucky enough to have my DSs & DGC close enough to see them regularly but some people have not. If they want a family get-together good for them.
Plus I have a neighbour next door who would do it like a shot! She is a nosy busy-body & recently contacted owners of house other side of her - who rent it out-that the (very nice) family renting it do not cut the grass enough & there (very well behaved) children make a noise in the garden! I rarely hear them & they are not what I call noisy.Unlike my neighbour who takes her phone into garden & has shouting phone calls as she is quite deaf!! I don't complain about her. Although it is tempting.
Live & let live I think.

jaylucy Fri 18-Sep-20 10:23:57

Apparently one of my neighbours already snitched on another neighbour at the time when the lockdown was being eased- she reported someone 2 doors away from her (that she has never spoken to even though she moved in this time last year!)
The one that was snitched on apparently was seen saying goodbye to another woman leaving her house .
What the person that snitched was not aware of was that the woman leaving the house was in fact a social worker that had been called in on a crisis call. They both socially distanced in the back garden, both wearing masks.
I would say that the neighbour that did the reporting would have done better if she had reported the family on the other side of me who have continued coming and going throughout as well as having visitors inside the house even during lockdown !