Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Boris Broadcast to the Country

(110 Posts)
Curlygirl Tue 22-Sep-20 20:15:58

Why did he bother? Usual amount of waffle and no clear directives. Why doesn’t he quit if he can’t deal with this competently and let somebody more more capable take over. But who?

Toadinthehole Wed 23-Sep-20 09:49:54

I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again....all you Boris bashers, find us someone who IS competent then.

Ellianne Wed 23-Sep-20 09:49:58

Alegrias

Well thanks for your editorial view Elianne, I'm sure the OP will be happy to learn that her thread was a non-starter.

Maybe its a flippant approach to politics that has got us in this mess.

Oh dear
sad

Gwyneth Wed 23-Sep-20 09:51:39

Could one, or all of the posters who clearly have absolutely nothing to contribute other than personal comments about the PM start a thread of their own please? Maybe they could call it ‘Boris Bashing’ and then they could make personal comments about his hair, hands, family or whatever ‘floats their boat’ to their ‘hearts content’ and not bore us with the same inane comments over and over again.Then at least those of us who want to discuss the content of the speech could do so. Many threads on this site seem to be hi-jacked by the ‘Boris Bashers’ which stops ‘open minded’ and objective discussion taking place. I will also repeat what I said in an earlier post I do not have any political allegiance. I’m guessing though that had this exact same broadcast been given by Starmer it would have received a far more positive response.

DiscoDancer1975 Wed 23-Sep-20 09:59:02

“ It’s all gone quiet”, said Rhubarb. “ Too quiet”, said Custard! I too would be interested to see who people pick Toad?

Alegrias Wed 23-Sep-20 10:10:18

I'll be flippant, as that seems to be the order of the day.

Over on Mumsnet this morning, there was a thread asking which of the PMs of the last 40 years they would like to have in charge now. Some said Johnson, as is their prerogative. But one had a list of all of the PMs since 1979, then Larry the Cat, then Johnson at the end.

He was voted in as PM. I don't care what he looks like or what his personal life is like, but I want him to be a good PM. But so far, he has shown himself to be incapable. If you take on the role of PM, expect some criticism for your performance.

Parsley3 Wed 23-Sep-20 10:17:26

The PMs message was clear. “ A stitch in time saves nine”. Dominic Raab has just repeated this on BBC news in case we didn’t hear it yesterday. Ever onward.

Granny23 Wed 23-Sep-20 10:19:22

www.facebook.com/JamesJDart/videos/315557016351887

Toadinthehole Wed 23-Sep-20 10:20:13

I agree Alegrias, but I’m saying I don’t think it would matter who was PM, they’d get criticised. This is all so hard for anybody. I’m not a Conservative voter per se, but so many people just seem to be personally insulting Boris, as if his hair and hands would have any bearing on how he does/ doesn’t perform as a Prime Minister.

Furret Wed 23-Sep-20 10:21:59

Toadinthehole

I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again....all you Boris bashers, find us someone who IS competent then.

Sadly we are stuck with him or his ‘Z’ list cabinet for the time being. All those experienced MPs from his party are banished to the back benches because they were not ‘yes’ men or women.

That is the system. We are stuck with him

lemongrove Wed 23-Sep-20 10:22:44

Of course, public figures can be criticised/dissected etc for their performance and delivery, and personal looks....but that does go for everyone ( and all political leaders) including the sainted Sturgeon! I once criticised her choice of clothes, a few years ago and all hell broke loose on the thread?
To answer the OP, Johnson is not articulate when answering off the cuff questions, but performs well when he has a script.
The latest offering from him on tv ( from Westminster) was
Clear and concise with no waffling.You cannot tell in any case,
How much ‘compassion’ a person has from their style of speaking.David Cameron was the ultimate articulate smoothie.....it didn’t make him care any more about the general public as he not only resigned from the PM ship (when he had assured the nation he would steer us in whichever direction the nation voted on) but resigned from being an MP and left his constituency in the lurch.

Callistemon Wed 23-Sep-20 10:23:00

A stitch in time saves nine

Did he know my mother?
I await more of her sayings in his next speech.

'Never go out with a pin in your underwear' could be the next one.

Furret Wed 23-Sep-20 10:29:56

Alegrias

Well thanks for your editorial view Elianne, I'm sure the OP will be happy to learn that her thread was a non-starter.

Flippant? On the contrary. I’m sick and tired of commenting on Boris (as PM) and his sound bites, inadequacies and total lack of a basic grasp of the situation.

We all know he’s a bag full of ...sound bites.

We all know that he is not up to the job and neither are the amateurs he picked for his cabinet. You want to keep this thread on track....police it? OK off you go.

It’s all been said before and nothing will change. So hence the dog.

Alegrias Wed 23-Sep-20 10:44:32

lemongrove

Of course, public figures can be criticised/dissected etc for their performance and delivery, and personal looks....but that does go for everyone ( and all political leaders) including the sainted Sturgeon! I once criticised her choice of clothes, a few years ago and all hell broke loose on the thread?
To answer the OP, Johnson is not articulate when answering off the cuff questions, but performs well when he has a script.
The latest offering from him on tv ( from Westminster) was
Clear and concise with no waffling.You cannot tell in any case,
How much ‘compassion’ a person has from their style of speaking.David Cameron was the ultimate articulate smoothie.....it didn’t make him care any more about the general public as he not only resigned from the PM ship (when he had assured the nation he would steer us in whichever direction the nation voted on) but resigned from being an MP and left his constituency in the lurch.

I mostly agree Lemongrove apart from the part about criticising personal looks. That has no bearing on how a person does their job.

Unless they are a model.

Alegrias Wed 23-Sep-20 10:45:53

Furret

Alegrias

Flippant? On the contrary. I’m sick and tired of commenting on Boris (as PM) and his sound bites, inadequacies and total lack of a basic grasp of the situation.

We all know he’s a bag full of ...sound bites.

We all know that he is not up to the job and neither are the amateurs he picked for his cabinet. You want to keep this thread on track....police it? OK off you go.

It’s all been said before and nothing will change. So hence the dog.

Well, that's me told.

Calendargirl Wed 23-Sep-20 11:10:20

Alegrias

I'll be flippant, as that seems to be the order of the day.

Over on Mumsnet this morning, there was a thread asking which of the PMs of the last 40 years they would like to have in charge now. Some said Johnson, as is their prerogative. But one had a list of all of the PMs since 1979, then Larry the Cat, then Johnson at the end.

He was voted in as PM. I don't care what he looks like or what his personal life is like, but I want him to be a good PM. But so far, he has shown himself to be incapable. If you take on the role of PM, expect some criticism for your performance.

I would choose Margaret Thatcher to be in charge now.

Lucca Wed 23-Sep-20 11:19:59

Toadinthehole

Love to! Sadly there is no way to do that unless you know a way have a change of government ?!
Criticism of government or the prime minister does not always have to be called “Boris bashing “ ....does it ?
Agree with calendargirl that although not a fan of many of her policies I’d have thatcher in charge too !

Oldbat1 Wed 23-Sep-20 11:27:09

I thought he was supposed to be a good “orator” - sadly one thing he certainly isn’t. Nicola Sturgeon knows and understands what she delivering - he doesn’t! I didn’t watch it live but read for myself what was said as he can’t deliver (what his speech writers have produced) in a sensible manner.

FannyCornforth Wed 23-Sep-20 11:33:59

Oldbat1, re Johnson as an orator.
I absolutely agree. I think that it's just due to his accent.
If someone spoke the rubbish that he does in a broad local accent such as my own, it would be a different kettle of fish.
He is massively, hugely out of his depth.

lemongrove Wed 23-Sep-20 12:16:17

Alegrias Needless to say, I don’t agree.
How a person looks ( doing their job or not) is up for criticism.
Johnson favours the unmade bed look, when, with a suit and shirt that is fitted properly, and a decent hairstyle ( or even a well brushed look) he would look so much better.
When Corbyn first became LOTO he appeared to be wearing a jacket that would have fitted him if he had put on about 8 stone in weight.Plus untidy looking facial hair.
After quite a long time ( he obviously resisted?) they managed to get him to wear a smart suit and better shirts, plus tidy up the beard.

vegansrock Wed 23-Sep-20 12:19:38

Johnson answers sensible parliamentary questions in repetitive gibberish. That he looks like he doesn’t know how to dress himself properly also doesn’t inspire confidence and I think is worthy of comment. I may not like Nicola Surgeon’s hair or clothes but at least she does look like she’s made an effort. We could name plenty who could do a better job but we are stuck with the waffler we’ve got and as such, are entitled to comment on his level of competence.

Alegrias Wed 23-Sep-20 12:40:32

Lemongrove "How a person looks ( doing their job or not) is up for criticism."

Really? This is so shocking I'm not even going to argue the point. If you don't appreciate why, there is really no point trying to argue it.

Jaxjacky Wed 23-Sep-20 12:41:40

Alegrias Regretting ever posting the topic, it was meant to be informative ?
I’ll stick to growing veg!

lemongrove Wed 23-Sep-20 13:05:12

Alegrias ....you obviously have a different view of ‘shocking’ to me.....which is fine.?
We have no need to argue the point in any case, we simply have differing opinions on how public figures should dress and look and our right to comment on them.

Jaxjacky Wed 23-Sep-20 13:23:58

Oops wrong topic, note to self, pay attention woman.

Tweedle24 Wed 23-Sep-20 13:24:03

“We all know” as the start of an argument turns me away from that argument completely. Just because the poster “knows” something, does not mean that the rest of the population, be it the Gransnet or the national population, agree.

We don’t all know or agree that Boris is not up to the job so, a bit less unsubstantiated generalisation, please.