Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

GP Surgery/Ignoring just about everything

(28 Posts)
Daisymae Thu 08-Oct-20 10:07:29

Visited the GP this week, apart from a notice to wear masks and one sticker on the floor they have not made any adjustments. Receptionist not wearing mask, chairs crammed as usual, five people when I arrived and I made six, in a small space. Contrast with local farm shop cafe who have removed tables, installed perspex screens, have a buzzer system so you collect your order, staff all wearing masks, toilet one way system. I would like to report the surgery but you need to leave details and stating the obvious I will need to see them again. Is this the regular experience?

DillytheGardener Thu 08-Oct-20 10:11:31

You can report them directly to the NHS if you wish to stay anonymous, I had to do this a few years ago to complaint about the terrible service at my GP service. The gps themselves are wonderful but the reception staff were totally incompetent. It lead to major management changes and a big improvement so definitely worth pursuing further.

Ive put the link for information how to do this below;

www.nhs.uk/using-the-nhs/about-the-nhs/how-to-complain-to-the-nhs/

DillytheGardener Thu 08-Oct-20 10:12:28

Sent before I had finished, please ignore the typos! Writing this on my phone with very cold hands sat at the train station!

MissAdventure Thu 08-Oct-20 10:12:53

Not at all.
I could probably get an audience with the Pope easier than seeing my gp.
The surgery door is locked, you have to knock at a side door, which is then unlocked to admit you, and apart from the staff, it seems to be just one person in the building at a time.

EllanVannin Thu 08-Oct-20 10:14:57

My surgery was like Fort Knox when I had my 'flu jab the other week. Staff looked like space persons and only 3 people in the large airy waiting room. Appointments were staggered.

Grannynannywanny Thu 08-Oct-20 10:16:07

That sounds like a shocking disregard for all the guidelines that should be in place.
Our health centre door has been locked to the public since March and nobody is allowed to enter without prior arrangement. Only those with problems of a serious concern which require a physical examination are given a consultation. Only one at a time allowed in.

MissAdventure Thu 08-Oct-20 10:21:11

We have to shout through the door and explain why we're there before they open the door, too.

Blinko Thu 08-Oct-20 10:21:14

Our GP surgery merged into a group with other local surgeries around 18 months ago, promising all manner of improvements. We have yet to actually see any and the only communication we've had during the lockdown is along the lines of, 'Whatever you do, don't come to the surgery'.

It seems that our surgery is staffed by reception people. I'd be surprised if any medically qualified staff were present most of the time.

Oldbat1 Thu 08-Oct-20 10:22:04

You would be very very lucky ever to see a gp face to face before lockdown and certainly not since. All phone consults or video consults. When we had our flu injections by the nurses we had temp check, went in one door, didn’t sit down, had inj and then out the side door took 30seconds. My husband has cancer which has spread and hasn’t seen a doctor face to face in over a year!

Oopsadaisy4 Thu 08-Oct-20 10:31:02

We have to phone reception when we are in the car park and wait until someone comes out to walk you into the Drs room, you are then walked out to the door after you have seen the Doctor, having said that I don’t know anyone who has actually got to see a Doctor yet, even my Asthma Review will be via telephone.

MissAdventure Thu 08-Oct-20 10:38:03

I saw the health care assistant, who had to keep running off to tell the doc what I was telling her.
It seemed a bit over the top, really.

Toadinthehole Thu 08-Oct-20 10:42:31

It’s your life. It’s important. I would definitely flag it up. Perhaps as Dilly suggested. I don’t know anything about procedures around reporting a GP surgery, but I would start with a phone call to my GP. I had a face to face the other day. Everything was fine, except they didn’t take my temperature at all, but then neither had my minor injuries dept. the week before. The dentist is the only person who has, but it really is in his interests, working on people’s mouths, splashing and drilling! He was dressed for a walk on the moon too! In fact....I’m not sure it was him?. Anyway Daisy, don’t let this go, it sounds very worrying.

Daisymae Thu 08-Oct-20 10:46:52

Thanks for the replies. I will follow up with the links. Wondered if I was over reacting, wasn't what I was expecting.

JenniferEccles Thu 08-Oct-20 10:56:00

Will GP surgeries ever get back to normal I wonder?

Is it possible that GPS will get to like this ‘working’ from home a little bit too much?

How many potentially serious conditions have been/are missed with only a phone consultation on offer?

I had a hospital outpatients appointment last week and was chatting to the doctor about all the other illnesses being neglected with covid seemingly being the priority.

She said she was certain that the death toll from other illnesses is already higher than the registered ‘covid’ deaths reported every day, some of which were people who had died from other illnesses.

suziewoozie Thu 08-Oct-20 10:56:46

Dilly is absolutely right. There is absolutely no need to start with the GP. They know exactly what is going on and have clearly sanctioned it - they are part of the problem and the part that bears most responsibility. Another useful organisation to help you complain is your local Health Watch. Good luck

Petalpop Thu 08-Oct-20 11:05:20

Like a lot of the other posters at my surgery you have to knock on door and then a receptionist appears the other side and asks you 20 questions. If you do go in there are only 2 chairs each end of the waiting area. If you come to collect something they stuff it through the letterbox. When we had our flu injections it was done in the car park. When my friend went a women in her late 80s with a walking frame appeared and she had lots of clothes on that she had to remove and people were unable to help her. Poor soul. That said I would rather have my GP abiding by the rules than yours OP. I would report them if I was in your position.

suziewoozie Thu 08-Oct-20 11:07:41

JE it’s not all GP surgeries, not at all. In fact I would say that overall the availability and level of service at mine has improved. As for working from home, what exactly is wrong with that when it’s appropriate? I’ve had two consultations with my GPS on a Sunday when both were working at home. One was reviewing the latest batch of blood test results and rang to discuss with me. The second example was two weeks ago - on a Saturday I filled in an online consultation with details of non urgent problems. Sunday am got text to send photos, did so, got text back saying antibiotics waiting for me at pharmacy and sample pot and test request would be available at reception Monday morning.
So whilst there are some awful examples, don’t tar all surgeries with the same brush and make snide remarks about working from home when you probably know nothing about what that means in practice.

DiscoDancer1975 Thu 08-Oct-20 11:16:06

I would be inclined to speak to someone at the surgery first too. Give them a chance to explain themselves if nothing else. It seems a bit premature to go straight into a major complaint, and could mean you’d want to change surgeries afterwards, which in itself could be difficult. Obviously, if you end up going down that route, then so be it, but at least you’d feel confident you’d covered all bases. Needless to say, don’t visit the surgery again until it is sorted.

suziewoozie Thu 08-Oct-20 11:22:11

Disco what the OP told us is so disgraceful that not only should a formal complaint be instigated, I would say it’s an emergency. Vulnerable people are being put at immediate risk.

JenniferEccles Thu 08-Oct-20 11:22:30

Those are only two examples though suziewoozie. I can see how they would work from a phone call but there are countless other conditions which require to be seen.

I fear for the future of primary care and a lot of others feel the same.

I hope I am wrong but the fact that so many people really struggle to see their GP doesn’t fill me with optimism.

suziewoozie Thu 08-Oct-20 11:24:01

And the name of the complainant is not disclosed - it doesn’t have to be because this is not about individual treatment but a systemic failure.

suziewoozie Thu 08-Oct-20 11:25:39

I’m not aware of the research evidence JE I do accept that some surgeries are failing but have no idea of the proportion and neigh I guess do you.

DiscoDancer1975 Thu 08-Oct-20 11:25:47

I agree suzie, but I’d still want to know why they’re not following the rules, and would ask the question. A formal complaint will most likely follow, but at least it would give the surgery a chance to put it right, and maybe prevent a few thousand people losing their surgery. It doesn’t make sense to me at all though, you are right. I do hope OP gets it resolved.

suziewoozie Thu 08-Oct-20 11:26:03

neither

beverly10 Thu 08-Oct-20 11:31:50

Fortunately (sigh of relief) I have little cause to need a surgery visit as the waiting room in my village surgery has been closed and patients sign in then make a queue at the back of the building and wait to be called in. What I have queried now winter is approaching do we suggest they do as I for one do not intend standing outside in winter temperatures. Still waiting for an answer