Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Day 1 in Tier 2 - what are your plans for the day?

(93 Posts)
Riverwalk Sat 17-Oct-20 07:43:14

I'm determined to get off to a positive start! Yesterday for the first time in a long time I didn't go out - just faffed around and ate.

I'm off soon for a 60-minute brisk walk with my friend but due to the new rules won't be able to have our planned lunch.

What are you up to?

fevertree Sat 17-Oct-20 07:48:08

Where are you, Riverwalk? We are meeting a nephew and his fiancee for breakfast at a restaurant as planned, we have asked for an outside table. We are in London.

Other than that, it will be 'business as usual' for me, walks and Zoom classes, and staying in. But being a Saturday today will generally be a lazy day.

Marydoll Sat 17-Oct-20 07:51:58

Riverwalk, It's actually been the norm for us here in Glasgow for the last few weeks, as we are in a similar situation. You just have to get on with things.
However, the neighbours who have flouted the rules all through lockdown have continued to do so!? Some people will never comply.

I think you have the right idea, keep busy and active.. I will potter about in the garden and do some baking. If the circumstances had been different, I would have enjoyed this gentler pace of life.

Enjoy your walk!

Riverwalk Sat 17-Oct-20 07:52:30

I'm in London fevertree.

My friend feels the cold and only enjoys outdoor eating in reasonable warmth, which we've had plenty of up until now!

Georgesgran Sat 17-Oct-20 07:56:57

We are downgraded to Tier 2 here in Durham. (Yay!). I told DH that I intend to go to Ikea on Monday. He asked what I wanted and I replied ‘nothing’.
Looking puzzled he asked why was I bothering to go, to which I replied ‘because I bloody well can!’
Other parts of the Country don’t know how lucky they’ve been - so far.

fevertree Sat 17-Oct-20 08:02:02

With your username being Riverwalk I presume you can walk by the Thames. I'm in SW London and love walking the Thames path and walked from Richmond to Kingston a few weeks ago. We've also recently walked a stretch from Barnes and then hopped on a bus to get home.

Yiayia4 Sat 17-Oct-20 08:06:40

We are now in tier 2 here in Surrey can only see grandchildren in the garden again.
We now have two fire pits so will have fun toasting marshmallows.

Sunlover Sat 17-Oct-20 08:11:34

I’m on day 10 of quarantine after coming home from a holiday in Turkey( well worth it). So another day of not going beyond the front door. Lots of reading and tv. My home is in a Tier 1 area and hoping things don’t change before I’m allowed out as want to see the grandkids.

EllanVannin Sat 17-Oct-20 08:13:17

Pretty bad on Merseyside where we're tier 3 with hospitals over the water inundated and concerned with admissions. It's the worst in the country.
It's only just started !!

Maggiemaybe Sat 17-Oct-20 08:14:50

Tier-2-type restrictions have been our life for weeks now. But from today we’re allowed to sit with the family in private gardens again and not in cafes.

So this weekend is much like any other - driving around the area to yomp round a park with DD1 and baby this morning, and round a wood with DD2 and children this afternoon, then round the countryside with DS and children tomorrow.

With the added bonuses of a coffee at an outside cafe table this morning so we can use the loo, and eating fish and chips in DD2’s garden today. The chilblains are already starting to throb. smile

EllanVannin Sat 17-Oct-20 08:17:44

My thoughts and best wishes go to the staff in the Liverpool hospitals who'll be working non-stop for weeks.

I wish people would stop going out and give these doctors and nurses a break ! Damn selfish people !

BlueBelle Sat 17-Oct-20 08:19:35

I m off to meet a friend for an indoor coffee and then a bit of shopping probably put down more bulbs in the afternoon or a bit of drawing/painting
Normal saturday I have no understanding of this 3 tiered situation as it seems different every time I read it so I ll just carry on carrying on

Pittcity Sat 17-Oct-20 08:22:54

Where can you get decent blankets for keeping warm outdoors?
We are in Essex and invested in a gazebo for the first lockdown. We already had an ethanol heater and comfy furniture with cushions but may resort to sleeping bags so that family can visit.

TerriBull Sat 17-Oct-20 08:25:44

I got up too early this morning, 5.30, and started doing some on line yoga, and then halfway through a downward dog, decided I'm actually still tired so dozed on the sofa until a more reasonable time, 7ish and made the coffee. We are on the edge of London, will probably do what we usually do, maybe a walk in the park, I avoid shops like the plague at the week end if I can help it, just carry on being as careful as possible. Have had to cancel my best friend and her husband coming to stay with us.

Georgesgran Sat 17-Oct-20 08:35:10

Going to take cover after I’ve posted this - but it’s alarming to read that people in other parts of the Country (T1?) are just carrying on as normal. Meeting friends and relatives indoors, jumping on and off buses etc - surely we all have a duty to reduce our contacts, other than within our permitted circle? Sadly some parts of the Country think they’re immune - they are not. Better safe than sorry?

Georgesgran Sat 17-Oct-20 08:36:22

?TerriBull.

kircubbin2000 Sat 17-Oct-20 08:43:30

Our cafes etc are closed from today so I probably won't go out except to the garden.Very cold and overcast here.

aggie Sat 17-Oct-20 08:45:55

My sisters and I have decided to forgo our visits , well they come to me , I don’t drive , it is daft to sit outside in the cold , easier to phone or FaceTime

EllanVannin Sat 17-Oct-20 08:46:17

Georgesgran, it's known as being selfish---not in my backyard.
I don't care what I say quite honestly because I've worked through a pandemic and know only too well how it affects people right out of the blue.
I'm cross because I witnessed a beautiful 19 year old girl lose her life and her father was utterly bereft to the point of collapse because of the suddenness of it happening.

Marydoll Sat 17-Oct-20 08:56:56

I can't understand why people are still going on holiday to other parts of the country.
We should have been in York this week, but it would have been totally irresponsible to travel from Glasgow to England. We cancelled weeks ago.
Of course I'm disappointed, but everyone has a part to play in beating this.

LauraNorder Sat 17-Oct-20 09:00:30

We are at low risk here on the Isle of Anglesey but that doesn’t mean the virus isn’t lurking somewhere so I am taking every precaution.
Some may say I am ott but I don’t care what others think. I haven’t seen anyone indoors since March, we go for walks, meet family on the beach now that it’s quiet again, chat and catch up with friends on zoom, have our groceries delivered and avoid the builders who are rendering the outside of our house.
Of course we miss cuddles and kisses but I am not going to be party to spreading this horrid deadly virus, especially to those I love.

dragonfly46 Sat 17-Oct-20 09:09:04

I agree with you Georgesgran we are meeting friends for coffee this morning but despite being in tier 1 we will sit outside 2 metres away. We have not seen family since January and apart from walks in the fields behind us we stay at home.
I will soon be visiting the hospital every day for three weeks but it is strictly controlled.

fevertree Sat 17-Oct-20 09:12:49

We did relax a bit once the first wave had passed e.g. by travelling on a bus to go for a walk (distanced seating, masks on, windows open) - but that was prior to the new regulations.

I am not a selfish person.

Maggiemaybe Sat 17-Oct-20 09:15:27

I’ve seen only one person on here saying that they’re meeting someone indoors, in a cafe. Perfectly fine if they’re in Tier 1. So who are the criticisms and name calling aimed at? confused

Missfoodlove Sat 17-Oct-20 09:19:25

We’re in tier one but our local rag is full of sensational headlines saying we will move to 3!!!
It’s almost as though they want us to suffer, the local MP’s and council are supporting a circuit break lockdown.

I’m seriously concerned for the cancer patients and the many people not getting medical treatment.
I fear many deaths in the coming months from undiagnosed illness.

It’s crazy I could get a load of beauty treatments but my 12 week grandson who is wheezing cannot get face to face doctors appointment.