Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Day 1 in Tier 2 - what are your plans for the day?

(94 Posts)
Riverwalk Sat 17-Oct-20 07:43:14

I'm determined to get off to a positive start! Yesterday for the first time in a long time I didn't go out - just faffed around and ate.

I'm off soon for a 60-minute brisk walk with my friend but due to the new rules won't be able to have our planned lunch.

What are you up to?

polnan Sat 17-Oct-20 19:12:07

well as I see it, lots of adaptations have been made for indoor eating, etc... now we must think of more adaptations so we can continue to eat outdoors..

eg. our local pharmacy, very small, has erected a canopy where we have to queue outside..

so for coffee etc. light meals, why not more canopies where the cafe (?) has space and why don`t we have eskimo type clothes?? just a thought... could simply take a hot water bottle!

EllanVannin Sat 17-Oct-20 19:17:19

Health is more important than the economy.

LauraNorder Sat 17-Oct-20 19:31:28

Yes EV nothing trumps health but economy is also vitally important, how else would we support health?

Sheilab72 Sat 17-Oct-20 19:32:48

We got some ‘teddy’ blankets in Dunelm. Think you have one in Romford?

Georgesgran Sat 17-Oct-20 19:36:58

Agree Annapops. Your break away sounded lovely. Our old neighbours at Broompark often rent a cottage near Kelso - take most of their own food and their dogs and have a good time bothering no-one. Very sorry to hear your sad news today too. X

bikergran Sat 17-Oct-20 19:45:40

Thanks for info smile

Maggiemaybe Sat 17-Oct-20 19:49:59

Those of you who dismiss “the economy” so lightly, what do you think we’d have left if it collapses? We’d probably be looking at no decent health service, rampant inflation, mass unemployment and dire poverty for millions. Those of us who have the option of staying at home should be very grateful to those who are out there keeping the country going, not criticising them.

Maggiemaybe Sat 17-Oct-20 19:57:18

Missminnie23

"Jumping on and off buses" have to get 4 buses a day to get to work, some people have no choice. Not irresponsible but necessary.

Missminnie23, exactly!

Legs55 Sat 17-Oct-20 19:57:37

I live in Devon so still tier 1 but there are concerns about Exeter although cases are falling now. I am doing what I'm allowed under the rules. I try to shop at the quietest times, not meeting friends for coffee or meals despite being able to.

I avoid my little Town at the weekends as it's still full of tourists & cyclists. We all dread Half Term & hope we don't see a repeat of the Summer with all the beaches/tourists spots crowded.

As one of the local MPs said "how is a lockdown here going to help the North?" People who live in Devon & Cornwall have mostly kept to the rules & taken precautions, there would be huge resentment if a National Lockdown or "Circuit Breaker" was implemented

BlueBelle Sat 17-Oct-20 20:07:30

Unfortunately it’s not one or the other ellenvannin
Don’t you see that without the economy health won’t exist There are already food banks in this ‘prosperous‘ country can you imagine going backwards to stealing loaves of bread and no that’s not an exaggeration if the economy collapses you would have no free health service youd probably not have your rubbish taken away youd end up with an Oliver Twist type of living ....rats and all
It cannot be one of the other they are hand in hand and it’s very short sighted to not understand that

Nana3 Sat 17-Oct-20 21:04:02

My plan for this evening was to meet my daughter in a local restaurant which I did.
I agree with Maggiemaybe about the importance of the economy and while being careful and sensible I will continue eat out.
I also met up with 4 gransnet friends for lunch this week, we sat outside in a lovely cafe surrounded by autumn colour. A small contribution to the economy I know but invaluable to our mental health.

seacliff Sun 18-Oct-20 10:13:56

I met outdoors with some friends recently, and several of us brought warm cushions to sit on and our thermals. One lady even brought her hot water bottle!

PinkCakes Sun 18-Oct-20 19:37:24

I'm in Nottingham, tier 2.

Yesterday - hoovered the bedrooms, changed the beds, did a Zumba dvd, did 3 lots of washing.

Today - went for a walk around a local park, collected lots of acorns for the squirrels that come to our garden. Got some shopping, cleaned my car.

growstuff Sun 18-Oct-20 20:47:46

Maggiemaybe

Those of you who dismiss “the economy” so lightly, what do you think we’d have left if it collapses? We’d probably be looking at no decent health service, rampant inflation, mass unemployment and dire poverty for millions. Those of us who have the option of staying at home should be very grateful to those who are out there keeping the country going, not criticising them.

Many people staying at home are keeping the economy going.

growstuff Sun 18-Oct-20 20:49:14

Baffled! Why is the country in danger of inflation? We actually have the opposite - that's why the Bank of England is talking about negative interest rates.

growstuff Sun 18-Oct-20 20:52:35

LauraNorder

Yes EV nothing trumps health but economy is also vitally important, how else would we support health?

From the Treasury, just as we do now. Money hasn't disappeared - it's just not being spent. Some people are actually richer now than they were six months ago.

What do people actually mean when they talk about the economy collapsing? It won't, although many millions of people are likely to be without jobs. Brexit will have a more devastating effect on the UK economy in the long-term than Covid.

Nana3 Mon 19-Oct-20 18:00:36

When I think about the economy collapsing I don't separate it from unemployment. If businesses don't prosper they don't employ more people. I don't know much but this seems logical.

Nana3 Mon 19-Oct-20 18:04:50

My plan for today is to search through our CD's and take any we no longer listen to to our local charity hospice shop.