Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

How are people living on their own coping?

(106 Posts)
squirrelnutkins Sat 17-Oct-20 10:59:06

Hi. As a retired woman living on my own, I'd be interested to hear how others in the same situation are finding things at the moment.

I had quite an active life pre-covid and am managing to keep myself occupied as best I can but I have bad days when it's really difficult to get motivated. Does anybody else have this problem?

Froglady Wed 21-Oct-20 10:09:50

I live on my own in supported accommodation in that there is a tenancy support on site Monday to Friday. There are 12 flats here and we all live on our own.
I was coping reasonably well until this last week and found myself wanting to cry for no reason - this is not like me as I don't normally cry except at sad films and suchlike. So my mental health is getting worse which is a huge worry as I already have mental health problems. Tier 3 lockdowns have a big impact. I want to go out from my town but not 'allowed' to use public transport and can't go by car as I'm disabled and can't fit my wheelchair into my car so that would leave me unable to get round shops. It's just so frustrating.

Hetty58 Wed 21-Oct-20 10:20:41

craftyone, I love making things from wood. Just being in the garage, radio on - with that lovely, addictive smell of fresh sawdust - is so therapeutic.

My next little project is this obelisk (or something like it). I've got all I need, loads of spare wood and an old door handle.

(The dust on top of the wardrobes can just sit there for now.)

craftyone Wed 21-Oct-20 18:36:57

That is an excellent useful project Hatty smile. I do like a project

I expect today has been quite tough going for many, we are so weather dependent, the sun picks us up and the dark damp puts us down. I have faffed all day today, did manage to get that small washroom done, 5 minutes is all it took. Made a soup, tweaked a few things in my living room and generally procrastinated.

craftyone Thu 22-Oct-20 09:26:33

just moving a couple of small things in my living room has made a nice difference, the main one being my old bose dab radio/cd. Now I can get dab and how good is that, so I can set my presets and listen to more channels. Gold at the moment and that is cheery

So one thing leads to another, I have put my sainsbury delivery away, planned lunch and having an aeropress coffee before I set up my spinning wheel for plying, then I skein, will make 3 skeins today. Next dry day I will soak and thwack the skeins and hang to dry. The end of a large amount of sussex fleece tops that I bought ready to spin, 5 years ago smile. Tops are prepared for spinning

Just getting a ufo (unfinished object) finished is rather a nice morale booster. Candles lit today, it is a major birthday for a younger sister, she died 18 months after my husband, my youngest brothers wife also died exactly 12 months to the very same day after my husband died. Was a very dark 18 months

craftyone Sun 25-Oct-20 06:52:26

I definitely feel as though I have started hibernation, luckily the garden is ready for winter and allium veg are planted and asparagus bed is ready to plant. I dislike outside `must-do` jobs when the weather is not conducive

Friday was a grim day so I spent the whole day and evening making a beautiful felted robin standing on a felted rock. It was a kit and very worth the cost, I had a perfect time filler and now have a lovely christmas ornament with lots of materials over for small projects

Saturday was pottering, 3 small kitchen drawers, a pullout larder and a utensil holder are sorted, easy jobs, wooden utensils are out, making lots of room for the modern colourful slimline ones which brighten up the kitchen

I am hopping from day to day right now, got to use it as an opportunity to get areas sorted and tidied, rather than waste my life sitting. Indoor exercise today, again