Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Christmas lockdown?

(191 Posts)
Daisymae Sun 18-Oct-20 18:47:48

Seeing how things have changed in the last week, I can't see how a Christmas lockdown can be avoided if as a country we are to avoid a huge spike in cases. Students home, grandparents in the mix, cold weather, lots of people from mixed houses together - seems like a perfect storm. I personally will now prepare for plan B, as had hoped that we could see different families in different days. In my heart of hearts I can't see this happening. Xmas pud for 2 it is.

Rosalyn69 Mon 19-Oct-20 10:56:02

It looks like here in Wales we are having our lockdown early so maybe it won’t be as bad at Christmas. Our Christmas is quite low key anyway so it will make little difference, but we all have to just get on with life as best we can. There will still be a tree and presents and turkey.

Purpledreamer Mon 19-Oct-20 10:59:59

For me Christmas is definitely family time and I look forward all year to spending it with my daughter, son-in-law and Grandson. But I'm already starting to accept that won't be happening this year. That won't stop me decorating the house and doing all the things we'd normally do and then later, when lockdown is eased, we can do it all again with the family.

NannyDaft Mon 19-Oct-20 11:02:10

Let’s keep an open mind and our fingers crossed !

crimpedhalo Mon 19-Oct-20 11:06:11

To reiterate.

crimpedhalo Mon 19-Oct-20 11:06:56

And on a lighter note

granma47 Mon 19-Oct-20 11:18:41

Thank you crimpedhalo I hope you don't mind me using your poster. It says so much.
We have decided to order a Christmas dinner for 3-4 from our local Booths as we aren't sure what will be happening and will at least have something to eat for Christmas. We may have son and grandson staying (bubble) but if not I am sure leftovers will be very nice.

LauraNorder Mon 19-Oct-20 11:22:42

I’m afraid it is what it is.
Unless you are a committed Christian and want to celebrate the birth of Christ it is just another day.
Traditionally we think of it as a time when family gets together but really this can be any time of year.
Better to let the children enjoy their presents and a quiet dinner with parents who are not under stress and therefore more likely to give them full attention. We can plan our big family get together in the summer.
Hopefully things will have improved and if not we can gather outdoors more safely for fun in the sun. Just as easy to create lovely memories in summer.
I do feel for those who may have to spend Christmas alone and hope that those of us who have our other half will make sure that we spend a moment or two here on gransnet to make sure that the alone are not lonely.

Mealybug Mon 19-Oct-20 11:55:23

We usually see the GC Christmas day then they go and spend the day at home doing what they want to do. Last year it was Christmas Dinner alone for me as hubby was in respite (we all went to see him at lunchtime). My Dtr invited me to hers but tbh I was happy to sit back and relax and do nothing. This year I don't know what will happen, he's on pureed food and bedridden so it won't be the same anyway. Hopefully the GC can come for an hour again and then enjoy their day at home.

hulahoop Mon 19-Oct-20 12:04:37

If people followers rules now maybe numbers would be low enough to have an easing of rules .if not then it's only a day or two we have been in special measures since July so having seen some of family for a while but neither have a lot of others it's what it is and we will have a quiet Christmas .

polnan Mon 19-Oct-20 12:16:08

The trolleys are cleaned and there's sanitizer to use at the entrance and exit. LuckyFour

here our Morrisons, not a large supermarket does the same,
but for the customers to collect the trolley from the trolley park, then get to the sanitizer and cleaner! we have already touched the trolley

just saying!

I am a church goer Christian, and have yet to see how committed Christians celebrate the birth of Jesus... just saying!

NannyC2 Mon 19-Oct-20 12:26:33

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Teacheranne Mon 19-Oct-20 12:27:19

I don't agree that Christmas is only one day as with many workplaces shutting down for two weeks, the celebrations seem to last for ages!

I live on my own and always see my family on Christmas Day and probably a few other times as well. Without that contact, it would be very lonely for me. As I've spent a lot of the past six months stuck in the house on my own, I really am dreading Christmas this year, it will just be more boring days to get through.

I am in a bubble with my sister and her family although we don't manage to see each other very often but even the odd visit helps. But my daughter lives alone and I would feel awful if I spent the day with my sisters family while she was alone.

I'm really not sure what to do! Either way I won't be cooking a traditional meal, I'm hoping to get a delivery of some kind to avoid cooking altogether!

EllanVannin Mon 19-Oct-20 12:36:31

Unless people adhere to instructions it will also affect next year's Christmas as well because a pandemic where " herds " are can last 2+ years.
It's insane when tiers are lifted, people go mad and we're back where we started. It'll be a continuation of lockdowns and eases ad-infinitum.

Calender37 Mon 19-Oct-20 12:46:35

How about all of us sparing a thought for those for whom there will be empty chairs at the table this Christmas as a direct result of the Virus?
I am sad that I will not be able to celebrate with my family, and especially with my three GGC’s, two of whom are just about to celebrate their 1st birthdays in the next two weeks. But it is what it is. If we have to do without family get-togethers for just this year, it is a small price to pay for staying well and alive, and protecting others.
And before anyone jumps to criticise my comments I would mention that I understand only too well how it feels to be alone at Christmas, the importance of Family and the need for understanding.

Fizog Mon 19-Oct-20 12:48:08

I’ve written off 2020, my sixtieth birthday party, Christmas and just accepting it is what it is...it’s lovely to see friends and family but I can chat on zoom.... and I can remember all the wonderful Christmas’s that have gone before.

I’d rather keep safe than sorry for a lapse just to raise a glass.

Kim19 Mon 19-Oct-20 12:52:28

I'll just go with the flow. Suspect negative but hope springs eternal in this wee heart.

Toyoungtobeadamnedgran Mon 19-Oct-20 13:19:28

I have ordered the Christmas dinner for me and hubby.
My GS was born in the summer so we missed celebrating that and we didn't celebrate his baptism and as it's his first Christmas I'm not expecting to celebrate that either. We are all hoping next year we can have a party to celebrate all the missed family birthdays, the birth of GS, his baptism and his first birthday and Christmas Day.
So it's dinner for two here, it might feel like any other day.
The rules in Scotland are different from the rest of the country but who knows what the rules will be in a few weeks time.
Stay safe

Theoddbird Mon 19-Oct-20 13:41:37

I have to say that I get fed up with people worried incase they cant see family at Christmas. Just be thankful if you can see your family at any time considering what we are going through.

aonk Mon 19-Oct-20 13:44:43

I’ve enjoyed reading everyone’s views on this. A lot is being said quite rightly from the point of view of older people and those who are alone. What about how the younger people feel? Both my DDs have already said how much they want to be with us for Christmas and about how important that is for them. We’re not the only ones whose views matter.

luluaugust Mon 19-Oct-20 14:40:54

I am expecting to cook Christmas lunch for the first time in years, just for OH, brother and I. Made a start this morning by buying a pot of Cranberry Sauce.

I am sure some of the younger family will be feeling just as fed up as us going by the reactions to missed birthdays and other family events.

Kartush Mon 19-Oct-20 14:49:52

I dont know if it will work for you in the UK but here in Australia we were in semi lockdown over Easter and we usually have everyone round for easter lunch. My husband cooked the easter lunch as usual (roast pork and all the trimmings) put everyones portion in take away containers. One person from each family came to our house, phoned when they were outside, he put the food at the gate and they picked it up. No contact but 3 happy well fed families. Like i said im not sure if something similar would work for christmas dinner over there with your restrictions

beautybumble Mon 19-Oct-20 14:58:12

Last Christmas I was really poorly with a virus, possibly Corona, who knows? I live alone and all this year have felt so alone. So I'll decorate with lots of sparkle and colour, (couldn't last year), I'll buy myself some presents and wrap them up and buy a bottle of something nice to keep me company. This cannot last forever.

Nancat Mon 19-Oct-20 14:58:15

Already got a small turkey breast in the freezer, and will have fresh veg delivered in my online shop. Just me and my cat for Christmas. I've been lonely since February, so what's new? Family spread all over the country, so no meet-ups. Just got to grin and bear it and hope Christmas 2021 will be better, and I'm still here to enjoy it!

Neilspurgeon0 Mon 19-Oct-20 15:01:03

I normally detest the “getting together and pretending to care” which is Christmas round here. For my money a firm, solid lockdown would really make my day.

I know people will go Bah Humbug and call me a Scrooge but I hate this upcoming time of year. Just all please bugger off and leave me in peace with a good book.

Gwenisgreat1 Mon 19-Oct-20 15:13:57

Think the best we can do is be prepared!!