Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Christmas lockdown?

(191 Posts)
Daisymae Sun 18-Oct-20 18:47:48

Seeing how things have changed in the last week, I can't see how a Christmas lockdown can be avoided if as a country we are to avoid a huge spike in cases. Students home, grandparents in the mix, cold weather, lots of people from mixed houses together - seems like a perfect storm. I personally will now prepare for plan B, as had hoped that we could see different families in different days. In my heart of hearts I can't see this happening. Xmas pud for 2 it is.

NannyB2604 Sat 31-Oct-20 17:10:54

Just a thought. Those of us who have family living abroad (in our case our only son and DiL and only granddaughter) usually have to spend Christmas without them. Whilst it's not ideal and I won't pretend it's ever easy, you'll survive and it will be all the sweeter when you do meet up. Sending hugs to all.

Blossoming Fri 30-Oct-20 15:25:19

Christmas Day is always spent quietly at home, what I’ll miss this year is the pre-Christmas parties and the Boxing Day visits. C’est la vie.

I’m donating the money we’ll save to homeless charities.

Roses Wed 21-Oct-20 18:49:08

Ellianne
That was what I was thinking ,people comment on my tree every year and ask me when it's going up but I think this year it is so important we have to try and spread more happiness than usual

Ellianne Wed 21-Oct-20 18:16:26

Roses that is lovely. I will do the same at the end of November. Lots of twinkling lights and decorations. Christmas music, religious and popular, on the sonos and mulled wine every weekend in December. If only one child or one person passing by smiles, that is good. Any extra joy won't be wasted. Covid won't kill Christmas, even though it will be different.

GrannySomerset Wed 21-Oct-20 18:08:52

Like so many, our brief visit from our children and their families in August is likely to be all we will see of them this year, and lamenting about it won’t help. I foresee a quiet festive period with just the two of us and am much more sad about DGD1’s 18th birthday not being celebrated.

Roses Wed 21-Oct-20 17:46:20

I have decided to put my tree up earlier than normal so when people drive down the road opposite my house it will lift their spirits to see it sparkling away
I hope it lifts mine as I cannot see my family if things stay as they are now

Marydoll Wed 21-Oct-20 17:31:19

It's good to read some positive posts on here.

Parsley3 Wed 21-Oct-20 17:22:09

If I can’t have Christmas dinner with the family this year due to restrictions, then I will park it until I can. If that means turkey and trimmings in June then so be it.
Meanwhile, I too will decorate the house as usual and add to the Festival of Lights.

BlueSky Wed 21-Oct-20 14:55:18

GrannyGravy Beautiful cheerful post full of hope, helps to know we are not the only ones! ?

GrannyGravy13 Wed 21-Oct-20 14:32:44

The entire Festive Season is bittersweet for those of us who have lost loved ones and have family overseas who due to Covid we cannot see this year.

We have AC and wife in Africa, their DD (our GD) is in college on mainland Europe and family in Melbourne Australia.

We should have been twenty for Christmas Lunch, with various family members staying for various amounts of time at our house. If we are just the two of us, sobeit, we will raise a glass to absent friends and family and have lots of FaceTime.

I shall decorate inside and outside anything to lighten the dark days and try to bring some cheer to passing children.

Hetty58 Tue 20-Oct-20 23:15:26

Lucca, there was just one really grim day when it rained and rained. The dog won't walk out in the rain.

I hung about, pottered around, put some washing on, unloaded the dishwasher, sat with tea and biscuits.

It was dark in here, gloomy outside, nothing on telly, nobody phoned - just like being cast adrift really.

I had a migraine, a sleep, then some snacks, more sitting and pottering.

Eventually, I hauled myself into the shower and dressed - in fresh PJs.

I went back to bed, feeling fragile and sad.

The next day - back to normal - the world didn't end!

Now, if it's raining, I take myself off for a walk. It seems that I need it to function.

Hetty58 Tue 20-Oct-20 22:46:13

Here, Christmas day and Boxing day (just two days, really) are, in effect, cancelled this year.

Yes - it's difficult, but merely a drop in the ocean of isolation, not worth risking my life for.

My children and grandchildren won't have to worry themselves sick about me (they know I'm a tough old bird who's been through much worse).

My lovely dinner will be delivered to my door (along with a cooked chicken for the pets) and we'll all have a good Zoom chat!

Lucca Tue 20-Oct-20 22:38:15

However FH did say “ The virus is awful but I refuse to let it spoil one of the only days of 2020 I will feel truly happy” which rather implies the plans would go ahead regardless. Just saying Fran

Bellanonna Tue 20-Oct-20 19:59:02

But lucky to be with his mum and dad, Kitty! ?

BlueSky Tue 20-Oct-20 18:57:58

Exactly Franbern! As MawB rightly said we all have our own reasons to be (extra) sad at Christmas and they are all valid. At times we need to resort to wishful thinking if only to keep somewhat sane.

kittylester Tue 20-Oct-20 18:57:08

Bellanonna, DS1 isn't really looking forward to it, I bet. He isn't particularly lucky!

He is divorced and disabled and lives on his own. He said the other day that he hadn't been touch by another person since March. He has a brother, 3 sisters and a lot of friends but is not able to spend Christmas with any of them due to travelling and numbers - I doubt we are quite the same!

suziewoozie Tue 20-Oct-20 18:44:24

Fran why are you making excuses for her - she did not qualify what she said about her plans at all in terms of what the law would be at the time. ??

Franbern Tue 20-Oct-20 18:41:51

re-think!!!!

Franbern Tue 20-Oct-20 18:41:19

Everybody so keen to have a go at FlyingHxndles re arrangements for Christmas and all saying that she is breaking the law. Not sure what crystal balls they are all using. Who knows what the rules, laws and recommendations will be at end of December. At present they seem to change every few days or so. So, if it will keep her happy making those arrangements and looking forward to them (if that helps her mental health), then let her. Could well be permisseable when the time comes, if it is not, that is the time for her to do a re-thing.

Charleygirl5 Tue 20-Oct-20 18:16:25

At least it would be warmer in Australia.

BlueSky Tue 20-Oct-20 18:00:19

Of course Ellianne you might have to pay a little supplement! smile flowers

Ellianne Tue 20-Oct-20 17:52:56

Lucca flowers

Callistemon Tue 20-Oct-20 17:52:30

G&T then, Bellanonna?

Ellianne Tue 20-Oct-20 17:51:26

Just drop me off in Brisbane please. I so need a cuddle from DD.
Any chance of an onward flight to Christchurch please?

Bellanonna Tue 20-Oct-20 17:45:39

Thanks, Callistemon, I like the sound of that lemony tea but I don’t think it would quite hit the spot at the moment. A couple of the posts on here have rather worried me! ☹️