Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Refusing to wear a mask

(247 Posts)
Esspee Mon 19-Oct-20 14:57:47

My son who lives in the USA shocked me yesterday by stating on WhatsApp that he is now refusing to wear a mask.

I have always had a habit of saying exactly what I think but OH has asked me to think long and hard about my response so as not to alienate my son.

Can any of you fellow gransnetters please help me word a reply to succinctly make my feelings known without getting his back up in the hope of making him reconsider? He feels that Covid 19 has been overhyped and as so few people have serious repercussions it should be treated like flu and everyone needs to get back to work. He opposes the restrictions that have been brought in.

He is early 40s, father to my only grandchildren, and living the dream with a gorgeous home, trophy wife, top job etc.
He was brought up to show empathy, be socially responsible, caring and level headed.

We were expecting to spend Christmas with them and in February meet up again for a family holiday in the Caribbean where he was brought up. Neither of these events are now likely to happen but I am mentioning them to show that we are on good terms.

He has been wonderful about keeping in touch and facilitates my beautiful granddaughters’ regular updates to grandma about items of major importance such as wobbly teeth.

I do tend to overreact when my children behave contrary to their upbringing.

Galaxy Fri 23-Oct-20 09:05:10

Yes andy seems surrounded by women not wearing masks and bame people not wearing masks, I wonder what that could possibly say about andy. It's a tricky one isnt it.

Esspee Fri 23-Oct-20 09:06:50

fevertree. thank you, you understand exactly what I meant. I was in fact quoting my son’s best friend and he used the term in a complimentary way.
I realised when the first objection came up that there is sometimes a derogatory aspect to the phrase. She is indeed exactly as you described. Quite lovely.

fevertree Fri 23-Oct-20 09:24:34

I was also surprised that more people didn't object didn't to the posts by AndyMorris, I didn't think to comment, but I did immediately report them. Completely unacceptable.

suziewoozie Fri 23-Oct-20 09:32:02

‘To me it is an informal way of describing a beautiful woman married to someone where she doesn't have to worry about anything else than looking good.’

Imagine a life so vacuous, so aimless, so lacking in purpose or contribution to the wider society that looking good is all you have to worry out and be judged on . The phrase is full of connotations - a women’s worth based on how she looks and netting her a financially successful husband. It’s an absolute insult to women of all stripes. If my dd’s m-I-l were ever to describe her on GN I’d be appalled, absolutely appalled if those words were used. To be fair the OP did take my point when I first criticised the phrase but I see others have now joined in and think it’s fine. It’s not - it’s sexist and demeaning. It’s like when people refer to back people as ‘the token black person’ when they’ve succeeded in a mainly white environment.

suziewoozie Fri 23-Oct-20 09:35:43

Here’s a definition from Urban Dictionary, Nice ?

suziewoozie Fri 23-Oct-20 09:36:13

A young, attractive woman married to an older, more powerful man.

His role in the relationship is to be her sugar daddy and provide her with power and material wealth. Hers, beyond providing sex, is to remind others that he is powerful or rich enough to be desirable to such a woman despite his age and thus to serve as a marker of this status -- hence the "trophy" part. A specialized type of gold digger.

suziewoozie Fri 23-Oct-20 09:36:55

Like the OP said - Melanie’s Trump

andymorris Fri 23-Oct-20 09:51:04

Galaxy

Yes andy seems surrounded by women not wearing masks and bame people not wearing masks, I wonder what that could possibly say about andy. It's a tricky one isnt it.

well all you to do is come to birmingham and go on some buses and YOU too will be surrounded by males AND females not wearing masks ..Its amazing how many birmingham males and females on buses that think they have exemptions

andymorris Fri 23-Oct-20 09:54:40

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

andymorris Fri 23-Oct-20 09:57:12

Esspee Fri 23-Oct-20 10:00:36

The problem andymorris is that the colour of the persons skin is totally irrelevant in this context and is therefore racist. Can you not see that?

Galaxy Fri 23-Oct-20 10:02:35

The majority of people I have seen without masks are males over 50, my anecdote is meaningless as is yours. Are my FACTS more accurate than yours. No both of our stories prove nothing.

andymorris Fri 23-Oct-20 10:03:08

Galaxy Fri 23-Oct-20 10:04:05

Oh just seen the last post. What a charmer.

Esspee Fri 23-Oct-20 10:04:41

So one person of colour amongst all the others whom you’ve referred to but don’t bother to colour classify (presumably white) who are not wearing masks gives your friend the right to make a sweeping racist statement?
You are both racists.

andymorris Fri 23-Oct-20 10:09:43

Esspee Fri 23-Oct-20 10:13:33

That however is not what you said. Again the term non white on your last post identifies you as a racist.

Esspee Fri 23-Oct-20 10:18:45

suziewoozie. I am an old fogey who does not use “urban slang”. Forgive my lack of understanding.

Rather reminds me of my brother who when having learned to text ended all his messages with LOL.

andymorris Fri 23-Oct-20 10:25:45

Oopsminty

I'm glad you've finally seen a maskless male andymorris

I was getting worried that it was only females

its probably a bus thing...i rarely sit upstairs on a bus....you are on a bus especially around schools and the majority of school kids go straight upstairs and lots of them are not wearing masks or they are wearing chin warmers..So my challenges are just on passengers sitting downstairs Its probably more obvious on trains. Where everything is on one level..And judging by comments in the Metro daily paper..trains are full of non mask wearers too...

andymorris Fri 23-Oct-20 10:27:45

andymorris Fri 23-Oct-20 10:34:50

DillytheGardener Fri 23-Oct-20 10:34:57

I’ve reported him. Differing opinions and debate are why I enjoy gransnet, but that poster is racist and very unpleasant.

DillytheGardener Fri 23-Oct-20 10:38:19

And to add my two cents where I live in the south of England, the people I see not wearing masks are white men and woman of all ages, with Eastern Asians wearing masks religiously.

andymorris Fri 23-Oct-20 10:46:33

few days ago...there was an asian female wearing a chin warmer..and an asian teenage male wearing a chin warmer

i said to the male...notice shes not wearing a face mask either

asian male.... yes

i dont think he realised my comment was aimed at him too

Galaxy Fri 23-Oct-20 10:48:35

Why do people think putting FACT in capital letters makes it true. Bless.