Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Boots testing

(53 Posts)
Daisymae Mon 26-Oct-20 08:04:32

I see that Boots are going to start offering a sane day Corina test for £120. I wonder if this is profiteering from all this misery?

westendgirl Tue 27-Oct-20 11:48:34

If only we had a good testing system,with quick results easily accessed for those who had no car .
I remember a local pharmacist saying to me that he couldn't understand why local pharmacies hadn't been asked to do the tests. Makes sense surely.
I can see the value of the Boots initiative although In the Times there is a short piece advising people to stick to the Serco one (it does say NHS, but I can't call it that in all honesty ) .

Aepgirl Tue 27-Oct-20 11:44:56

This is for people who need a negative reading before travelling abroad. It’s not profiteering, it’s fulfilling a need.

SophieBookupied Mon 26-Oct-20 17:39:36

Re the question from Charleygirl5 as to who is taking the swab, Boots has recently been advertising jobs for COVID-19 testers all over the UK (e.g. see this ad for testers at Gatwick: www.boots.jobs/jobs/130149br-covid-19-tester-gatwick-airport). The ad doesn’t ask for any previous healthcare experience. Says “full training will be provided”. So you could soon be taking swabs if you’re passionate about great care and willing to work long shifts covering a 7-day working pattern.

suziewoozie Mon 26-Oct-20 17:15:04

I agree Rosalyn. Personally I can’t think of an example of a situation where I would at the moment but who
knows what might happen

Rosalyn69 Mon 26-Oct-20 16:46:32

I’d pay if I needed to get a test done. It’s a service. And I’d expect to pay.

GagaJo Mon 26-Oct-20 16:20:21

Hehehe Maisie.

PamelaJ1 Mon 26-Oct-20 16:17:59

My niece has just returned from Japan. Had a test before she left. Travelled on a plane with 60 other passengers and was not allowed in her parents home till she had another test. She has a bedroom with an en-suite shower room but my brother in law is scared to death of the virus.
She stayed in an airb&b until she got the results from a postal test here, this took 3 days Plus the weekend so 5 in total. Boots would have been much cheaper.

Carmo1 Mon 26-Oct-20 16:09:52

You can’t get an NHS test anyway and have to pay if it’s for travel. I went to visit my daughter in Dubai in September and paid £165 I then had to pay £80 for another test to leave Dubai but I wanted to go so had to pay

MaizieD Mon 26-Oct-20 16:03:15

And it will show positive if all you have is a cold.

Goodness, did the scientists who developed it not notice that? I think you should let them know, Olive ?

suziewoozie Mon 26-Oct-20 16:02:10

I believe Boots are buying in their own machines for analysing the swabs so they are not queue jumping NHS resources or anything. It will be nice for anyone who can afford it - as are many aspects of private health care( and many others aspects of life).
The real issue is making the publicly funded scheme easily and quickly available and we shouldn’t lose sight of that. Once DH has fallen on Hancock’s sword, maybe things might improve.

GagaJo Mon 26-Oct-20 15:17:08

Olive53

Why have a test for a virus with 99% recovery rate. And it will show positive if all you have is a cold.
Also, what do people testing positive have in common. They’re all mask wearers.

Plenty of none mask wearer's dead Olive.

Let's see how you feel when you catch the virus, no worse than 'a cold'. Which is inevitable given you take no precautions.

mothertrucker52 Mon 26-Oct-20 15:11:45

I might be slightly more inclined to pay at Boots if they paid any UK tax, as it is I would have to be really desperate

Olive53 Mon 26-Oct-20 14:33:30

Why have a test for a virus with 99% recovery rate. And it will show positive if all you have is a cold.
Also, what do people testing positive have in common. They’re all mask wearers.

Davidhs Mon 26-Oct-20 12:23:58

Ive been looking this morning there are very few places you can go as a visitor and avoid isolations or restrictions, even if you do have a negative Covid test. Airport tests are risky, if you fail you loose your ticket and no refund at least in advance you can book afterwards.

Whingingmom Mon 26-Oct-20 12:06:07

Just for interest, Boots is owned by the American company Walgreen. So any profits from testing goes to America. As do the NHS fees for dispensing prescriptions, so I’m told.

Maggiemaybe Mon 26-Oct-20 11:59:59

Oh, it’s Boots! For some reason I’d heard it as Booths (the supermarket Waitrose shoppers aspire to).

I wondered why DH looked a bit baffled when I said £120 would be pocket change to their customers. grin

Magrithea Mon 26-Oct-20 11:57:07

The saliva (spit) tests are being used on arrival in Hong Kong (we have friends there). You are tested, wait for the result - about 90 mins - and are then quarantined with a tracker wrist band for 14 days. Easier there as there are limited points of entry (only 1 airport, cruise terminal and railway to China)

GrannyGravy13 Mon 26-Oct-20 11:51:02

orly

Do you get Boots points on it?confused

I got Boots points for the following:- flu jab, pneumonia jab, malaria tablets, along with two other vaccines I needed for travelling.

lucky77 Mon 26-Oct-20 11:45:41

SueEH
Sue you were interested in an antibody test to see if you have had Covid-19 in the past from your daughter. I used this company who have a mobile testing unit that go to different sites around the country, south east of england so far, don't know where you live, but I had the test and had my results by email within 45 minutes, it was every efficient, you have to pre-book, details on their website and the cost is £60.
ntlbiologica.com/antibodytesting/

GagaJo Mon 26-Oct-20 11:25:59

VERY good question Orly!

orly Mon 26-Oct-20 11:18:01

Do you get Boots points on it?confused

GagaJo Mon 26-Oct-20 11:14:25

My Swiss covid test cost £120 equivilent. The antibody test cost £280.

I used to work in the billing department of a private hospital. I saw how much they charged for blood tests and the cost to them from the NHS for doing the test. Cost was £6. Charge to customer was £60.

Jane10 Mon 26-Oct-20 11:08:58

Sigh. Fat fingers!

Jane10 Mon 26-Oct-20 11:08:38

That's a good point Nemosmum. We have no idea if the commercial price of all sorts of health care that we rake for granted.

NemosMum Mon 26-Oct-20 11:00:34

How would you know it's 'profiteering'? What's the 'wholesale' price of the test, and how much does it cost to administer? Furthermore, this company is providing a service which isn't be provided by the government. Nobody is compelled to pay for it! However, if you need to travel to another country which requires evidence of a recent negative test, you might be willing to pay £120 for it. We have been so protected from actual healthcare costs in this country, we have a totally unrealistic idea of how much they are worth. I inquired about getting a shingles vaccine privately a couple of years ago, and it was going to be the thick end of £250 and I would have had to travel to London for it. The local pharmacies would have done it, but couldn't obtain the vaccine.