Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Loo roll

(29 Posts)
Nanagem Sat 31-Oct-20 15:32:24

I’m sorry I just don’t understand. Am I missing something here, last time there was a lock down everyone bought trolley loads of the stuff, and now they are doing it again, I always insure I have some spare, never want to be cut short, but buy dozens of rolls extra ?, why ?

Is it me ?

Elrel Sun 01-Nov-20 00:46:09

They must have eaten all the loo rolls they bought last time they panic shopped.
Muslims must find the great loo roll panic amusing.

Gransooz Sun 01-Nov-20 00:24:54

I couldn’t believe my eyes 2 or 3 weeks ago just after there were murmurs of the second spike and possible lockdown, I passed the loo roll aisle in my local Asda and the shelves were almost empty! I thought, not again, surely the hoarders would have learned. Still can’t figure them out but the shelves seem back to normal now ????

WOODMOUSE49 Sun 01-Nov-20 00:15:35

I went to Sainsbury's and Morrisons today. Normality still resumes in Cornwall. Lots of most things.

BlueSky Sat 31-Oct-20 23:07:14

Loo rolls have been stacked high in prominent places all along, nobody seemed to buy them, I bet know they’ll all suddenly want them! But as we know from the first lockdown, stores will remain open and shelves restocked, so it doesn’t make sense!

grannyqueenie Sat 31-Oct-20 22:44:50

smileless I wondered that too and can only assume it’s because their first and foremost interest is in making a big fat profit. No concern at all for any vulnerable customers who can’t get in for the “scrum”. The selfishness of it all makes me really cross and sad too.

PECS Sat 31-Oct-20 19:36:38

maybe people get 'nervous stomachs' during lockdown confused

vampirequeen Sat 31-Oct-20 19:24:09

I always have a stock of toilet roll and other essentials because we live in a village that can/does get cut off but I don't see the point of stocking up otherwise.

LovelyCuppa Sat 31-Oct-20 18:15:35

I agree with the previous poster that a lot of people do it to feel in control of something in uncertain times. Loo roll because it doesn't go out of date I guess!

Nanagem Sat 31-Oct-20 18:08:27

But what I don’t understand is why toilet roll, ? There is only so much you can use,

PECS Sat 31-Oct-20 17:45:24

Just tried to start my weekly online shop...Sainsbury website is down!

I get my loo rolls delivered every 16 weeks & just had a delivery..so OK for a while!

MissAdventure Sat 31-Oct-20 17:43:58

That's the aldi I use if I'm over that way. smile

GrannyGravy13 Sat 31-Oct-20 17:37:03

MissAdventure

Oh yes, probably payday too.
I'll nip into the shops in your area when I pass through on monday.
I'll buy all the loo rolls.

Aldi had loads of loo roll today (the one over the traffic lights at the end of my road) let me know when you are coming past I will wave ??‍♀️

EllanVannin Sat 31-Oct-20 17:35:02

Meaning that there'll be an even madder dash just a couple of weeks before Christmas----the crowds !

I think I'll be happier with a pair of kippers and free from the virus grin

MissAdventure Sat 31-Oct-20 17:29:43

Oh yes, probably payday too.
I'll nip into the shops in your area when I pass through on monday.
I'll buy all the loo rolls.

GrannyGravy13 Sat 31-Oct-20 17:24:45

I guess lots of folks got paid yesterday also, which has added to the mayhem!

MissAdventure Sat 31-Oct-20 17:20:31

Yes, sainsbury's and iceland, grannygravy.
I "nipped out" to get some bits, and my heart sank when I saw it all. sad

GrannyGravy13 Sat 31-Oct-20 17:16:39

MissAdventure

Well, if anyone is running short, I suggest you get some in.

I'm just back from the town and guess what?

Queues all around the carpark waiting to be let in, and empty shelves. sad

Was that where you are MissA ?

I popped down my High Road earlier and it was really quiet, Sainsbury’s Local was deserted as was the butchers.

AGAA4 Sat 31-Oct-20 17:15:02

I like to make sure I have enough toilet rolls but panic buying I don't understand.

Smileless2012 Sat 31-Oct-20 17:11:58

Why haven't shops limited the number of toilet rolls that can be bought along with the other basics that people felt the need to panic buy a few months ago??angry.

Urmstongran Sat 31-Oct-20 17:08:46

Maybe people do it to feel ‘in control’ to some degree.

Puzzler61 Sat 31-Oct-20 16:13:24

I wouldn’t like to be without loo rolls, but my waistline says I can do without the mince pies unfortunately Ellan - as scrumptious as they are.

EllanVannin Sat 31-Oct-20 16:07:45

I use it to blow my nose on too so always have a decent supply.
Looks like I'll have to keep my eye on things as our corner shops saw a lot of strangers buying them up earlier in the year.

Get the flour in for the mince pies etc, before that goes as well.

Grannybags Sat 31-Oct-20 16:00:01

So annoying. The grocery stores all stay open so why the panic?

MissAdventure Sat 31-Oct-20 15:48:49

Well, if anyone is running short, I suggest you get some in.

I'm just back from the town and guess what?

Queues all around the carpark waiting to be let in, and empty shelves. sad

Rosalyn69 Sat 31-Oct-20 15:45:26

Do these people only have two rolls in stock that they need to rush out and buy loo roll? The amount I could see in the trolleys would surely last a normal family until 2021.