Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

has anyone seen anything more shambolic than this evenings press conference?

(78 Posts)
M0nica Sat 31-Oct-20 19:08:57

DH could not get the powerpoint slides at all. I had the slides, but the slides I could see were always one behind the slide the speaker was talking to and anyway the signer was frequently standing in front of the slide so that I was unable to see the most important part of the curve.

Whether the problem lay with the BBC or the government press office, I do not know, but my money is on the government, given there track record.

Galaxy Sat 31-Oct-20 19:09:55

The whole thing is beyond words. I cant believe this man is in charge at this time.

Franbern Sat 31-Oct-20 19:15:34

The 4 pm press conference became the 5 pm press conference, and actually got going a few minutes before 7 pm.
Johnson as late on this as on all other things on this virus.
I have largish television screen, but the slides did not all fit on that - so could not see much to do with South West, which is where I live.

PECS Sat 31-Oct-20 19:17:13

The charts are unreadable in any meaningful way when the scientists are talking to them..I could see them but too detailed and too small to read.

Really we had heard it all in the hours before... are the leaks a deliberate ploy??

Whitewavemark2 Sat 31-Oct-20 19:17:53

It simply reflects the government as a whole since it took office.

MissAdventure Sat 31-Oct-20 19:28:34

My grandson went right up to the screen, but couldn't read a lot of the figures.

EllanVannin Sat 31-Oct-20 19:31:18

Clear as mud.
I thought I was going blind !

Daisymae Sat 31-Oct-20 19:33:38

I couldn't understand the slides, can't read the lettering. Robert Peston explained the NHS one on his Twitter account. Not a lockdown, tougher autumn measures.?

sodapop Sat 31-Oct-20 19:34:57

Lost the will to live when they were droning on with the charts, not a very edifying conference.

Oopsadaisy4 Sat 31-Oct-20 19:40:33

Whoever did the graphics need to be replaced, I couldn’t see half of them as the figures were too small and the BBC banner covered up the bottom half of the graphics.

Anyway, whether we could see them or not the message was the same.

PECS Sat 31-Oct-20 19:42:50

my DGD2 is fascinated by Professor Whitty and at the tender age of eleven asked , "why did they choose him to be on TV for an important job?" She gets the giggles when he speaks! Poor chap he knows his stuff!

Kamiso Sat 31-Oct-20 19:45:33

Must have been watching a direct press conference. Comments are much as expected though.

M0nica Sat 31-Oct-20 19:47:26

Listening to the talk and looking at the slides, I was left puzzled because since the first wave when doctors had no idea how to treat (COVID) and the second wave, medical knowledge of the disease and it's treatment has progressed by leaps and bounds so that far fewer people are being taken into hospital and if taken in, are much more likely to survive. Also with the huge increase in testing meaning that so many more people are being diagnosed with the disease. At no time did I hear them mention exactly what the source of their figures was, how they had been adjusted or the effect of new medical techniques.

As well as that, looking at various charts of growth in numbers diagnosed with COVID shows that in many area the figures are going down and have been for a week or more.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 31-Oct-20 19:54:59

The reproduction rate is going down in areas where there has been different tier measures, but is in fact higher in areas where the charts show a relatively low incidence. So here is the South R is over 2 so this means without intervention infection will rise exponentially.

Never the less in every area the NHS is under severe pressure and very likely to entirely run out of capacity by December.

Therefore lockdown is essential to stop this happening.

It is all about the NHS

Birdwatcher4 Sat 31-Oct-20 19:58:21

I think Boris keep us waiting till the English rugby finished ?? think this so called leak really messed his weekend up !

vegansrock Sat 31-Oct-20 20:00:22

Why bother to watch it was all leaked.

grumppa Sat 31-Oct-20 20:01:02

All very confusing. I await Dominic Cummings' practical interpretation of the rules to show me what to do.

suziewoozie Sat 31-Oct-20 20:01:19

If people need treatment, isn’t that being given in hospital and it’s the treatments there that are different eg much less ventilation.

Oldbat1 Sat 31-Oct-20 20:07:00

Whoever does the slides obviously doesn’t look to see IF they fit on screen. That along with the banner running across the screen at the bottom didn’t help. Shambolic.

Devorgilla Sat 31-Oct-20 20:11:55

Absolutely appalling! If this is what an Eton education prepares you to deliver you'd be better off at the bog standard comprehensive. Perhaps Eton run special courses in how to b***s**t the entire population. Those slides were there to blind us. KS gave Boris the way out some time ago when the schools were actually off and less chance of contamination. Next time, listen.

BlueBelle Sat 31-Oct-20 20:12:34

Why whitewave we have 8 nightingale hospitals that have barely been used they have thousands of extra beds empty and waiting
This is a huge joke I live in an area where they’re is very little and we ruin everything we were building up
Idiots

Devorgilla Sat 31-Oct-20 20:13:17

BTW did Boris say we were all getting free tests sent to us or do we have to apply for them and pay? Haven't we already paid handsomely through our taxes?

biba70 Sat 31-Oct-20 20:17:03

grumppa

All very confusing. I await Dominic Cummings' practical interpretation of the rules to show me what to do.

well he was fimed today filling up the car in anticipation - so 'watch this space'

Teacheranne Sat 31-Oct-20 20:17:36

I must have been lucky because I found the slides interesting and easy to understand with the accompanying explanations. There might have been too many but they gave a good explanation about exactly what is going on. Although I might not be able to remember all the details now!

The press questions though really annoyed me as they still persist in asking their planned question regardless of what has previously been said! How many times did they have to ask about Christmas!

Whitewavemark2 Sat 31-Oct-20 20:17:41

BlueBelle

Why whitewave we have 8 nightingale hospitals that have barely been used they have thousands of extra beds empty and waiting
This is a huge joke I live in an area where they’re is very little and we ruin everything we were building up
Idiots

God knows. It’s what we are being told. I guess it is the ICU capacity that is problematic, because they said that the clinicians would have to make a choice between who to save and who would die.