Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

A Rallying Cry from Capt. Tom

(28 Posts)
Sparklefizz Mon 02-Nov-20 15:28:26

A rallying cry from Captain Tom:

"Remember we are British and we always get through!"

We need more inspiration from Captain Tom.

maddyone Wed 04-Nov-20 00:01:07

Iam64
I agree with your post. The example of your mum and the silk undies made me smile.
Agree with you about suzie.

Lucca Tue 03-Nov-20 22:45:10

He’s a great guy yes.
But the “we’re British “ thing I can’t go with as quite frankly I’m sorry but by and large I feel we have become a very selfish and “entitled “ nation.

grannyrebel7 Tue 03-Nov-20 22:13:05

Think suziewoozie just likes to be contentious and get everyone going smile Good on you Captain Tom that's what I say!

janipat Tue 03-Nov-20 22:03:26

If it had stopped at Flipping ‘eck I'd have not commented, but I don't think there was any need to add the Pathetic Although why anyone would feel the need to be so unpleasant about a man aged 100 who raised over £32 million pounds I cannot fathom.

Iam64 Tue 03-Nov-20 18:06:38

I find it impossible not to smile and feel support for Cptn Tom. My parents and parents in law were similarly Kindly folk. My dad a Royal Marine who remained patriotic in a very gentle and non tub thumping way, mum a bit of a rebel who was in the ATS but refused to wear uniform undies, insisted on silk drawers and got into trouble as a result.

I can't get wound up by sooziewoozie's response to Remember we're. British we always get through. My experience is soozie is a compassionate poster and that will do for me.

We're British and we are a mixed, argumentative, opinionated gang who approach all kinds of difficulties from different starting points.

NotSpaghetti Tue 03-Nov-20 17:59:42

I don't think suziewoozy is being nasty to anyone - she probably just feels like MissAdventure and I that it's not her "mantra" nor is it a "rallying cry" that works for her.

MissAdventure Tue 03-Nov-20 17:18:06

I don't think he's insulted.
To be honest, I don't feel like rallying because of what he has said, either, as sweet as he is.

janipat Tue 03-Nov-20 17:06:36

How easy it is to insult an old man who raised a huge amount of money for the NHS by his efforts. suziewoozie why do you have to be so nasty to an old man who has done nothing to harm you?

henetha Tue 03-Nov-20 10:25:00

It's not pathetic! Good old Captain Tom!

Rosalyn69 Tue 03-Nov-20 10:03:20

Thanks goodness for Capt Tom.
We bugger on.
Sorry if that’s offensive. I believe WC said it first.

lemsip Tue 03-Nov-20 09:54:57

Ngaiol well said!!

Ngaio1 Mon 02-Nov-20 19:31:24

suziewoozie. What a curmudgeon you are! Thank heaven for Captain Tom and his ilk.

sodapop Mon 02-Nov-20 19:23:47

grin spinnaker

Whatever helps us at the moment is fine by me. Old fashioned sentiment maybe but from an honourable man and some of those in Government would do well to take a leaf from his book.

biba70 Mon 02-Nov-20 19:11:28

Good for him- wonderful.

And yet, so shameful anyone feels they have to do this to raise money for essential services- whilst the Government is wasting billions giving contracts to mates without experience, knowledge, or anything else.

Sparklefizz Mon 02-Nov-20 19:07:49

Love it Spinnaker

MissAdventure Mon 02-Nov-20 18:08:23

grin

Spinnaker Mon 02-Nov-20 17:47:44

Please treat this in the spirit of a very light hearted bit of fun - absolutely no offence is intended grin

Oopsminty Mon 02-Nov-20 17:44:17

I think he says it in the John Lewis Christmas advert. Good for him

NotSpaghetti Mon 02-Nov-20 17:11:22

Ok Sparkelefizz, fair enough if this is his mantra...

The thing about "mantras" (if that is what a rallying cry is), is that we all need our own, as your Yorkshire friend proves.

Sparklefizz Mon 02-Nov-20 16:35:42

I had a Yorkshire-born friend who ran marathons. When she was struggling she would mutter to herself "I am Yorkshire. I am Yorkshire" to make herself move onwards. It made her feel better. It boosted her morale.

Thus with Capt Tom, NotSpaghetti .......

He also says to himself every night since his wartime days "Tomorrow is a good day." I have adopted this. These are mantras to help us feel more positive.... better than thinking/saying "Tomorrow will be a crap day". Words are very powerful.

NotSpaghetti Mon 02-Nov-20 16:24:20

We may all "get through" but frankly, so do the Somalis, the Australians, Americans, the French, the Ugandans, Italians... basically we are human beings and we strive to survive even in appalling circumstances.

What does it even mean?

AGAA4 Mon 02-Nov-20 16:16:02

I agree with Captain Tom. Stay strong.

dragonfly46 Mon 02-Nov-20 16:11:17

I love Captain Tom and he is so right.
Positivity is what will get us through!

Sparklefizz Mon 02-Nov-20 16:07:54

I don't think it's pathetic. It's better than all the whinging and whining.

Niobe Mon 02-Nov-20 16:07:13

Why pathetic? I think it’s being pragmatic.