Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Daughter moving in

(42 Posts)
Fromian Tue 03-Nov-20 12:59:42

We don’t want to break the rules. We’ve invited our married daughter and our two year old granddaughter, with whom we are in a childcare bubble, to move in with us for the duration of lock-down 2. She would then become part of our household. Can we do this? Reading the latest regulations she would then be able to create a support bubble with her working husband visiting him at their house and staying over there at weekends. Am I right?

Riverwalk Tue 03-Nov-20 13:08:17

No you're not right I'm afraid.

Your daughter can't live in two different households - bubbles are for single people to alleviate loneliness; her husband wouldn't fall into that category.

dragonfly46 Tue 03-Nov-20 13:10:58

Riverwalk is right. You can still provide childcare but your daughter is not allowed to move in with you.

Fromian Tue 03-Nov-20 13:36:38

From the regs “A support bubble is where a household with one adult joins with another household. Households in that support bubble can still visit each other, stay overnight, and visit outdoor public places together.” My argument would be our support bubble is where our household (Mum, Dad & Daughter) joins with another household with one adult (Son-in-Law). From the regs “Households in that support bubble can still visit each other, stay overnight, and visit outdoor public places together.”

Lucca Tue 03-Nov-20 13:40:01

I think OP is right but am not totally sure?

suziewoozie Tue 03-Nov-20 13:44:08

This is an issue fundamentally not of what you can do but what you should do. This behaviour simply increases the risks of infection and smacks very much of having your cake and eating it. I don’t know the legal nicities but this is surely against the spirit of the legislation

Riverwalk Tue 03-Nov-20 13:44:21

Well who knows how people will interpret things.

But it's bending the regs to the nth degree to claim that the SIL is a single person, so can bubble with his wife at the weekends!

Esspee Tue 03-Nov-20 13:48:57

In situations like this I always like to consider. “What would Dominic Cummings do?”

Oldbat1 Tue 03-Nov-20 13:51:45

Short answer is NO! Not allowed. Why do people wish to bend the rules. We could all make a case why we should be seen as a different case.

suziewoozie Tue 03-Nov-20 13:54:16

Esspee

In situations like this I always like to consider. “What would Dominic Cummings do?”

Well I’d never use him as a benchmark of anything - except maybe to do the opposite. Still, if enough of us bend the rules to suit ourselves those of us who don’t just look forward to life never getting anywhere normal. Thanks a bunch

suziewoozie Tue 03-Nov-20 13:56:40

Oldbat1

Short answer is NO! Not allowed. Why do people wish to bend the rules. We could all make a case why we should be seen as a different case.

Exactly - I’m just fed up of exceptionalism - lockdown is hard for many of us in varying ways and i actually despise those who think they’re entitled to be treated differently. No one is an individual in a pandemic

dragonfly46 Tue 03-Nov-20 13:57:20

I agree, this is a clear case of bending the rules to suit yourselves. The rest of us have sacrificed seeing DGC nor DC at all during this pandemic in the hope we can get on top of it. As long as people insist on bending the rules there is no hope it will ever be over.

Moonlight113 Tue 03-Nov-20 14:07:36

So far as I can see the only people this would put in danger are you and your DH. Do you really want your daughter and GD going back to her husband at weekends, bearing in mind that he could have picked up Covid during his work?

Maybe a slightly unnecessary arrangement?

suziewoozie Tue 03-Nov-20 14:14:07

Well unless OP and DH are completely self isolating, they are not the only ones at risk are they? The fundamental issue is about risk reduction and arrangements like this increase risk to many others in the infection chain. Still who cares about others as long as my family get what they want ?

Fromian Tue 03-Nov-20 14:17:49

An interesting selection of comments. (1) The idea behind this is to give mental support to daughter and granddaughter. (2) We see granddaughter twice a week for childcare. (3) No increased risk of catching Covid. Daughter is very careful regarding cleanliness etc. At present SIL works in a non-public garden with little contact with other, if he catches it, he would give it to our daughter or our granddaughter who would give it to us during childcare visit. In future SIL would give it to daughter or our granddaughter etc etc. i.e. the risk (which is low) won’t change.

sharon103 Tue 03-Nov-20 14:22:07

suziewoozie

Esspee

Well I’d never use him as a benchmark of anything - except maybe to do the opposite. Still, if enough of us bend the rules to suit ourselves those of us who don’t just look forward to life never getting anywhere normal. Thanks a bunch

Well said

Moonlight113 Tue 03-Nov-20 14:27:43

Nope! I can't see who else would be at risk. During the upcoming lockdown the Mum andDad will be self isolating anyway won't they? Wouldn't want to chance it myself, but perhaps the OP and her DH are not that old. And braver than me.

Ilovecheese Tue 03-Nov-20 14:33:38

Esspee Well I thought it was very witty!

B9exchange Tue 03-Nov-20 14:45:06

I would say go for it, for the sake of your mental health. If your daughter is living with you from the start of lockdown, then you are one household, not a bubble. One household can form a support bubble with one single person for the purposes of companionship, and stay over.

If we were just allowed to do our own risk assessments, instead of facing unenforceable rules, then the world would be a much happier place.

Witzend Tue 03-Nov-20 14:50:17

It was, @Esspee!

Calendargirl Tue 03-Nov-20 14:50:42

If we were just allowed to do our own risk assessments, instead of facing unenforceable rules, the world would be a happier place.

?

Hmm, I don’t think that would work very well!

MissAdventure Tue 03-Nov-20 14:55:57

How does your son in law get to the garden he works in?
How will your daughter get to and from her home to yours?

We are supposed to be striving to reduce risks, not looking for loopholes to justify taking extra ones.

Hetty58 Tue 03-Nov-20 14:56:32

Fromian, no, it's not OK - and yes, you'd be breaking the rules!

It seems to me that the proposed arrangement is totally unnecessary. Why do so many people put themselves, and countless others, at risk by bending/breaking the rules? No wonder there seems no end in sight for this deadly pandemic.

Hithere Tue 03-Nov-20 14:57:10

Why cant her husband support his wife and daughter?

LovelyCuppa Tue 03-Nov-20 15:02:15

What a shame you feel the need to behave like this.