Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

NHS app says I must isolate for 8 days!

(95 Posts)
chelseababy Sat 07-Nov-20 19:03:53

This was a bit of a shock this morning when I got back from sainsbury's. Am presuming I must have had the contact on Sunday with an unknown person. I did have lunch out that day. Anyone else had the app alert? Was it followed by phone call from test (track?) and trace?

Granarchist Sun 08-Nov-20 09:48:23

Hmm - as I understand it the app just says you MAY have been in contact with an infected person. The only person I know that was contacted (my daughter) was telephoned by Track and Trace and indeed she had become ill before the phone call. I don't think the app orders you to isolate. There is no way the app can tell how long you were with the infected person (I don't think) - so if they just passed you in the street it would trigger the warning but of course you are most unlikely to develop symptoms. When someone test positive they are then asked to give details of anyone they were in contact with during the time they were infectious - that then triggers the phone calls from track and trace.

Missingmoominmama Sun 08-Nov-20 09:53:14

I had to isolate after being contacted via text after the app had placed me in contact with someone who had tested positive. I was phoned every two days during isolation. My app is called the NHS track and trace app.

As it turned out, I didn’t have Covid, but I could’ve had, and gone to see my dad. I’m grateful that there is a facility that tells you to isolate.

It was the lady who does my feet who had tested positive. I’d sat less than a metre away for the best part of an hour, but we both wore masks.

Masks work!!

Missingmoominmama Sun 08-Nov-20 09:54:30

The app did order me to isolate- and reminded me that not doing so could incur a £1000 fine.

Frankie51 Sun 08-Nov-20 09:54:38

I would get a test if I had a message like that. (I've got the app and had nothing apart from the message that disappears followed by one that tells you not to worry. We've been told to ignore those.) If I got one actually on the app itself telling me to self isolate then I would take it seriously as the app is picking up more cases than track and trace apparently. Also get a test. I wouldn't ignore it. You might be carrying the virus. You might be OK. Why take chances?

Quercus Sun 08-Nov-20 10:00:35

We had a similar notification via the app, required to self isolate for 12 days as we had apparently had contact with someone who tested positive. We did not get any phone calls but we self isolated as instructed. No-one in our household got ill.

isla1 Sun 08-Nov-20 10:05:55

I had notification about isolating and of course I did.
Agree - it does give you a bit of a shock - no-one is immune.

4allweknow Sun 08-Nov-20 10:06:08

Any App developed by no matter who will only be effective if follow ip is effective. Let's face it, if contact is by mobile phone this can be answered from anywhere. Only if the your phone is being tracked will the system know if you are at home when answering, that's if there is a follow up in the first place. An awful lot relies on people's compliance which we all know just isn't happening. Neighbour's sister arrives from Spain for mother's funeral. She chuckled when asked at the airport for her mobile number and contact address. End of isolation, no phone calls, nothing. She knows when going back to Spain she will be visited to check on her whereabouts during her isolation there. It's a farce the whole system.

Greciangirl Sun 08-Nov-20 10:09:37

My daughter had a Covid test last week which came back negative.

A few days later she got a text to say she must isolate for ten days. Why? Anyone else had this.

I don’t trust this test and trace system. Especially Serco.

NotSpaghetti Sun 08-Nov-20 10:10:47

I thought I'd read that the 15 minute thing was because it checks every 15 mins where you are and who is near you. This means that you may be "checked" at the moment you meet someone or alternatively 14 mins later.

I think that it needs two "checks" to establish possible contact. Obviously it means you could be in contact with someone for 29 minutes without a message.

Now, I stress I may be wrong - this may be the Isle of Wight app I'm thinking of... I would be interested to know if anyone has chapter and verse on this.

Shirls52000 Sun 08-Nov-20 10:13:11

I had notification that I had to self isolate after being in contact with someone who had tested positive and today is my last day of self isolation thank goodness. It was identified as a place I went to lunch with a friend, I scanned the QR code with the app but she didn’t, although she has the app and it was enabled. I was advised to self isolate and she wasn’t! I ve looked into it further and it seems the app doesn’t sign you out as you leave a venue and so I was apparently signed in until midnight although I left at 3.30 pm so I m not convinced that I was in contact with anyone other than my friend and we were socially distanced and wore masks when not at the table and it wasn’t very busy. I was tested after 5 days as I had a headache and am part of the clinical trial but I was found to be negative, even so I ve had to continue with self isolation for the 14 days and have had to cancel a number of important appointments. I ve followed the guidance but am not happy about it as I m questioning how accurate it was in advising contact with someone positive.

Nannapat1 Sun 08-Nov-20 10:14:31

I haven't downloaded the app as there have been errors and glitches. What did your msg look like Chelsea baby? Being asked to self isolate without any further info at all is not acceptable in my book.

Kryptonite Sun 08-Nov-20 10:15:24

I have. It tells you how many days to self-isolate for and then you obey! I had to miss 4 days of school and a weekend by the sea. ? But if it saves lives ....

mrswoo Sun 08-Nov-20 10:16:21

I think initially the app was advising users that they had been in contact with someone who had tested positive. This was an error and was quickly followed by another message to say disregard the first.
Last friday I received an official message to inform me I had been in contact with someone who had tested positive and that I had to isolate for 11 days. I have not been out of the house since and feel that not only is it, in a small way, helping to prevent the spread of the virus, but also that there is no point in having the app if you are going to disregard it.

Kryptonite Sun 08-Nov-20 10:20:36

My daughter also has been alerted. She wondered if it was someone the flat next door, ie going through the wall! She obeyed, then was released from it one day early by the app. No idea why.

Sunlover Sun 08-Nov-20 10:22:07

I am self isolating at the moment as dinner ( outside) with a friend last Saturday who was tested positive on Tuesday. Haven’t had any texts or messages but feel it would be irresponsible to go out and about just in case. Only another 6 days to go. ??

SueEH Sun 08-Nov-20 10:22:18

The apps send out “you have been in contact with someone who tested positive but we have assessed your risk and you don’t need to do anything” messages on a regular basis. They are communications effectively testing that the app is working. If it is a genuine contact then the message will still be available to see in the app.

news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-some-users-of-nhs-tracing-app-incorrectly-given-covid-19-exposure-alerts-12086225

GirlyGran Sun 08-Nov-20 10:22:48

One of my sons received an alert that he had been near someone who had tested positive for Covid. He was advised to self isolate and is a week in and so far is fine thank God. Why take chances? We have to use the tools we have to keep everyone safe.

Lucca Sun 08-Nov-20 10:24:48

“ When someone test positive they are then asked to give details of anyone they were in contact with during the time they were infectious - that then triggers the phone calls from track and trace.”

I ask as a friend of mine tested positive as did her husband but she has had no calls ! Obviously she did the necessary herself.

Gwenisgreat1 Sun 08-Nov-20 10:32:02

I have a Covid tracking tool on my phone - I didn't download it, it apparently just appears on smartphones, no idea how to check if DH has one, it says it's not a contact tracing app, so no idea what use it is!!
Today I must download the NHS app!!

Keeper1 Sun 08-Nov-20 10:32:31

The company I work for has been developing an app which at the moment only works on Apple devices as there are so many variants of android phones it is a huge task. What this has shown me that for the NHS/Government to have developed an app that is working on all devices apart from old iPhones (which I have) is actually quite a feat.

Kryptonite Sun 08-Nov-20 10:34:32

Granarchist, you are ordered to self-isolate ('you need to self-isolate'). The app is anonymous, but people are trusted to obey and have a conscience.

nipsmum Sun 08-Nov-20 10:40:53

I don't have a mobile phone. I can't see it properly so there is no point in having one, apart from the fact I don't feel it is necessary for me and I can't afford it anyway.

FlotheCrow Sun 08-Nov-20 10:42:14

I don't and won't have the app on my phone. Too Big Brother.

GreyKnitter Sun 08-Nov-20 10:53:08

I have the track and trace on my phone - why wouldn’t I want to support everyone by self isolating if I’ve been in touch with some who has tested positive for COVID? I don’t want to pass the virus on if I’ve been in contact with someone who has it.

GreyKnitter Sun 08-Nov-20 10:54:52

PS. My grandchildren have had to self isolate as someone in their school bubble has tested positive and they didn’t do it willingly - they’re 9 and 7 - but they did do it because it’s the right thing to do.