Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

My husband refuses to believe in coronavirus

(185 Posts)
M0nica Tue 10-Nov-20 14:27:46

Like other people, he has become a victim of conspiracy theorists. We had a thread headed by someone else in your position - except it was a sister, or a relation like that.

I suspect that the only thing you can do, is just refuse to discuss the subject with him other than tell hin, you will decide for yourself when the opportunity for a vaccine presents itself.

nightwriter Tue 10-Nov-20 14:26:10

Varian, you could be right. His views have become more and more bizarre over the last few years and his interest in conspiracy theories has grown. However, the chances of me ever getting him to consider this seem small. I'm not sure how much longer I can live like this which is sad as we have been together for 35 years.

sodapop Tue 10-Nov-20 14:24:32

For some people this is just a form of defence trying to make sense of a disordered world.

I wouldn't engage with him nightwriter just agree to disagree and leave it there. Tell him you are happy to talk about other things but not this. He is not alone in his thinking.

TerriBull Tue 10-Nov-20 14:22:45

It's hard to understand why people wouldn't believe Covid exists when the evidence is everywhere shock and to also think that governments around the world want to tank their individual economies, defies logic!

nightwriter Tue 10-Nov-20 14:19:12

I did originally try to discuss it with him but he is so sure he's right. I have now told him that I do not want to discuss it any more and that he is welcome to his opinion.

varian Tue 10-Nov-20 14:17:41

Is he possibly suffering from some mental illness?

nightwriter Tue 10-Nov-20 14:15:44

I won't allow him to decide whether I have the vaccine or not - that is for me to decide. I'm just getting very weary of his constant 'conspiracy theory' rhetoric. He's continually trolling the internet for these 'theories' and is finding plenty of them.

FarNorth Tue 10-Nov-20 14:14:45

What do you say when he's giving these views?
Do you try to discuss it with him, or keep quiet, or what?

Would he 'agree to disagree' and stop telling you all these things?

boodymum67 Tue 10-Nov-20 14:04:06

Easy solution...take him to a covid ward in a hospital.....but of course they`d never let him in....So ask nurses as they finish a gruelling shift on a covid ward..that should shut him up.

And if YOU want a vaccine, will he rule over you for that?

nightwriter Tue 10-Nov-20 14:00:56

I am finding it difficult to tolerate my husband's continual assertion that coronavirus is not real and is, in fact, a tool used by governments and big pharma companies to control us. He believes that Bill Gates is behind it all. Any reasonable discussion is off limits and he is now trying to convince me that I shouldn't have the vaccine when it arrives. Not sure how to deal with this.