Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Do you use mouthwash?

(64 Posts)
Pittcity Tue 17-Nov-20 09:20:58

A new study has shown certain mouthwashes to be effective at reducing the amount of Covid in saliva.

I use it, but infrequently. Maybe I'll start being a more regular user.
I wonder how many brands contain the essential ingredient? Will this lead to a shortage?

NotSpaghetti Wed 18-Nov-20 16:59:01

Exactly CleoPanda. You have to use it separately from toothpaste.

MayBee70 Wed 02-Dec-20 20:52:08

Yes. My dentist told me that at my last check up.

Eloethan Thu 03-Dec-20 00:28:56

Well it's good news for anyone manufacturing mouthwash but I do recall there previously being reports saying it is not advisable to use mouthwash on a regular basis. I expect if it is eventually found to ward of Covid it would be worth the risk of other lesser health issues, but there have been lots of "miracle" stories and they often turn out to be incorrect.

Franbern Thu 03-Dec-20 09:17:23

I was told by one of my AC, neither to wash out my mouth with water after cleaning my tooth and NOT to finish off my dental hygeince with mouth wash. Doing either or both of these stops the flouride iIn the toothpaste from doing its good work.
I did check on this and found out she was correct. So, now I only use my (non-alcoholic) mouthwash after I have eaten my lunch and not morning and evening after cleaning my teetch.
The mouthwash I use does not contain that chemical, and I have no intention of changing over to one that does. We are all far too eager to look for miracle protectors/cures. Think back to Trump talking about bleach as a protector..

Franbern Thu 03-Dec-20 09:18:06

Did mean 'teeth' not a single 'tooth'

MayBee70 Thu 03-Dec-20 12:03:43

I always rinsed my mouth after brushing and told my children to also and only recently found out that I wasn’t supposed to. I still tend to rinse because my mouth feels cleaner but I then brush my teeth again for a few seconds. One country has developed a mouthwash that seems to reduce the amount of time that people suffer from the virus. This has been specifically developed and has been found to work even though technically it shouldn’t. None of them stop you catching the virus but do seem to reduce the severity of the illness.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Thu 03-Dec-20 12:06:21

My dentist has said to use mouthwash for about a week before each stage of my dental work so I try to do this. The rest of the time is rather intermittent, I'm afraid. I'll take a further look at it.

Tweedle24 Thu 03-Dec-20 13:06:13

I never use it as I have been advised by various dentists and hygienists that it washes away the active ingredients in toothpaste after teeth cleaning.
Certain medical conditions can benefit from it but, that is different. My daughter suffers from horrendous mouth ulcers that make speaking and eating difficult. She is currently using a cortisone mouthwash prescribed by the dental hospital’s consultant.
I quite like the idea of a gin mouthwash. Should I add tonic?

M0nica Thu 03-Dec-20 13:20:01

My dentist told me very firmly NOT to use alcohol based mouth washes. I just want something minty and fresh to wash round my mouth to get rid of the debris that results from flossing and using interdens brushes.

I steer very clear of Corsodyl. I had a tooth implant and after the first op to put the screw in the dentist told we to swill that side of my mouth with Corsodyl. That side of my mouth then swelled up like a balloon with an ugly bruise all along the jaw line. An acquaintence made it very clear she thought I was a victim of domestic violence! I had to show her the op site to convince her! DH is neither bad tempered nor overbearing, so quite where that idea came from I do not know.

Either way the swelling and bruise took a week to go down. The dentist said an allergy like mine to Corsadyl was rare, but not unknown.

Callistemon Thu 03-Dec-20 14:32:01

Tweedle24

I never use it as I have been advised by various dentists and hygienists that it washes away the active ingredients in toothpaste after teeth cleaning.
Certain medical conditions can benefit from it but, that is different. My daughter suffers from horrendous mouth ulcers that make speaking and eating difficult. She is currently using a cortisone mouthwash prescribed by the dental hospital’s consultant.
I quite like the idea of a gin mouthwash. Should I add tonic?

Tweedle I get them sometimes and my dentist advised the other day that Vitamin B could help. Whe recommended taking a complete Vitamin B complex tablet every day for 3 months to see if that helped. Some medications or a low immune system can make it worse.
I've bought some but yet to start taking them as I seem ok at the moment.

Callistemon Thu 03-Dec-20 14:32:36

She not Whe!

WOODMOUSE49 Thu 03-Dec-20 16:52:50

Ellianne

Depends on the alcohol content for me!

Seriously, my dentist said the alcohol free ones are supposed to be better but I can't remember why.

My dentist says the same.

While alcohol-based mouthwash products may kill germs in the short term, the high alcohol content reduces the amount of saliva in your mouth, which ultimately makes bad breath worse.

Alcohol-free mouthwash may not completely wipe your mouth clean, but it does target more bad bacteria than good, creating a favourable balance to avoid further complications or bad breath.

Tweedle24 Sun 13-Dec-20 11:29:02

Castillemon. Thank you for that. Sadly, nothing so far has worked, hence the consultant at the dental hospital. It has been suggested that they are possibly part of her fibromyalgia.
If the cortisone doesn’t work, they are going to try thalidomide but, that means regular nerve and blood tests. Apparently, having given up smoking makes the treatment much more difficult.