Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Christmas break?

(194 Posts)
Daisymae Wed 18-Nov-20 09:18:23

The government seem to be putting signals out for a possible 5 day lifting of restrictions over Christmas. Can't see this being a good idea bearing in mind the situation that the country is in at the moment. What can possibly change over the next few weeks that would make this government policy? I can see they are in a very difficult position but I would have thought that there's a need to keep a lid on things until the spring. The idea of a near normal festive season doesn't seem reasonable.

Maggiemaybe Wed 18-Nov-20 12:28:22

Barrygirl

Other important celebrations have been carried out under lockdown - Eid, Diwali to mention but too. Why should we complain if Christmas ends up being a bit of digital fest?

Christmas isn’t a Christian festival for the vast majority of people in this country now though. It’s a national holiday when everyone I know, of all faiths and none, apart from the Jehovah’s Witness families, get together with family and friends, and share many of the same traditions. We’re all going to miss out, sadly, not just Christians.

Of course it’s a shame that people of all faiths have had to put up with very different celebrations this year. Including Christians at Easter.

rocketstop Wed 18-Nov-20 12:31:57

This news makes me disgusted and sick to my stomach. I, like anyone else am desperate to see my loved ones, especially after nearly dying of the virus myself, but we have to put our wants and needs aside for the greater good of mankind. Once we're through this, have all the parties you want, I'll come to all of them, but not now, it's irresponsible.

2020convert Wed 18-Nov-20 12:37:05

Lazyriver

The fact that we are on this website means we are older and maybe wiser. What would you have thought about all this when you were a child or a teenager? I know full well that at 17, I would have met the 19 year who would one day be my husband, wherever and whenever we could. That was our 'time' and we would have taken it. Can you honestly say you wouldn't have too?
I hear what you are saying and believe that you must all do what is right for you, but don't begrudge others who decide to meet their families.
We cannot go on like this as human beings, without social contact we wither and die. To live in fear is not to live at all.
How much damage has been done to our next generation already?
They have a right to live their lives as much as we did when we were their age.
No I don't think mass gatherings are a good plan, but there needs to be a sensible, individual approach. It is your choice to remain separate from others, but don't let the fear culture drive us mad.
My own Xmas is always close family and quiet, as we all work right up until the last minute anyway ( not me this year)
So this year will be much the same.
Just for the record, I do follow all the rules although live in a rural county. Mostly I'm fed up with being told endless lies by politicians and the press, and seeing how frightened everyone is.

Agree wholeheartedly time for large gatherings are for the future, hopefully. Only difference to keeping within your bubble this Christmas would be to allow two grandparents to visit together, and sort the visiting for care homes and prevent people having to die without seeing their loved ones whether in a home or in hospital. Large family/ can’t choose? Just put a limit on numbers and if necessary the family can split into multiple small gatherings rather than one large one if you can Zoom/FaceTime etc, have a family quiz. My son is getting married in February in Australia but I won’t be there of course, except in spirit, and watching the live broadcast. I haven’t seen my grandchildren there for over two years and it looks like at least one more, but we have to learn to cope with what life throws at us and take care of ourselves and others by heeding advice and regulations

GrammarGrandma Wed 18-Nov-20 12:37:19

I think the five day break will happen and then we'll be banged up again!

sodapop Wed 18-Nov-20 12:38:16

I think we have to continue over Christmas but then the Governments of all countries need to take stock of what is happening. There are so many other things which are in meltdown because of the way this pandemic has been dealt with.

leeds22 Wed 18-Nov-20 12:40:22

Our children all have school aged children, so we won’t be seeing them until we’ve been vaccinated. Sharing Christmas with friend who is shielding.
Seems ridiculous to open up a five day window to let covid loose again.

Violettham Wed 18-Nov-20 12:41:09

Doreen 5 I too have not left my house and garden since March elderly and to be honest scared as dont think I would survive if I caught it. Best wishes to you.

Grannynannywanny Wed 18-Nov-20 12:43:35

ALANaV are you suggesting it’s all a hoax? I had a phone call from a close friend this morning. Her neighbour has died as a result of covid. She was a fit and healthy 30 yr old mother of 3 small children who was left feeling “under the weather” after a bout of covid 2 months ago. It left her with an underlying heart condition which caused a massive heart attack.

I must phone back and tell my friend to pass on to her grieving husband, who’s been left to bring up 3 little children, that this is all a hoax.

As you said, this all has to end sometime. But thanks to folk with your attitude and behaviour it it’s all going to take much longer. More lives will be lost.

Merry Christmas

Happysexagenarian Wed 18-Nov-20 12:57:06

NO! NO! NO! There should NOT be a Christmas break. This lockdown should continue into the New Year, preferably until Spring. By then the vaccination programme may be under way and the colder months and flu season will be easing. Our NHS need all the time and help we can give them to get through this winter, and beyond. If we all start travelling around to family and friends just because it's Christmas we will only perpetuate this virus and the inevitable lockdowns right through next year as well. CHRISTMAS IS JUST ONE DAY! We can all speak to and keep in contact with our loved ones on that day without physically being with them. We haven't seen our GC since last Christmas and we won't see them this year (we have told them not to visit us), but we can send them presents and speak to them, and I certainly don't worry that they will forget us. As the saying goes 'absence makes the heart grow fonder'. Sadly some businesses will not survive, that was always going to be inevitable, but others will adapt through online selling/delivery/take-out menus etc etc. None of them will be helped by us rushing out and partying which will only result in further restictions being imposed on them when the virus spikes again. So lets ALL be sensible this season and have some consideration for those around us.

ajswan
I know what I'd like to say to you here but my comment would probably be removed. Suffice to say YOU are the selfish one. You just carry on with your 'normal' life and lets see if you find it so normal when you, or a loved one, is on a ventilator fighting for their life. How will your family feel about you if you (even unknowingly) pass the virus on to them? For God's sake use some common sense and abide by the rules.

Purplepoppies Wed 18-Nov-20 13:05:38

I think BoJo is going to say its fine because people are going to do it anyway.
Let's face it, how will the government stop families getting together and breaking regulations? They haven't managed it so far, even with MPs!!
Thats not to say I think its a good idea.
But the thought of people sitting on their own Christmas day is too bleak for some to bear .

CarrieAnn Wed 18-Nov-20 13:10:43

If you want to see your family over Christmas,and it's allowed,you could all self isolate for the two weeks before Christmas and then in theory you would be safe to meet up

Olive53 Wed 18-Nov-20 13:22:48

Ajswan agree with every word you said. There were no masks worn at the beginning of lockdown as we were told they won’t work. Now everyone is wearing them and guess what, The rate of infection is increasing. People are even wearing them in their cars, all alone, do they also wear them in bed!!
Get the country back to normal, the suicide rate is increasing at an alarming rate
And what about those poor people waiting and waiting for life saving surgery and treatment. Their lives obviously not important.

Jillybird Wed 18-Nov-20 13:45:24

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Davida1968 Wed 18-Nov-20 13:59:58

Well said, Jillybird! I agree with you wholeheartedly.

Sparklefizz Wed 18-Nov-20 14:06:51

Totally agree with you Jillybird - and I think we might have shared a father grin

EllanVannin Wed 18-Nov-20 14:09:34

Surely to goodness people can wait until the year's out ? Or we'll be going through all this again second time around and I know I couldn't hack another year of solitary confinement , especially brought on by the sheer selfishness of others.

Franbern Wed 18-Nov-20 14:10:25

winterwhite- sadly so true what you have said. Yet, largely totally ignored by the selfish people on these sort of threads who just keep on repeating how they have locked themselves down in their homes for months (forgetting they have only been able to do that because so many others have continued going out to work).
If shops, and hospitality are not permitted to open for December, many (indeed, could be most) of them will NEVER re-open.
Our High Streets are already looking so very sad, so very many empty shops and premises, and so many of the last few are hanging on by their finger tips.
Yes, this is a nasty virus, yes, it kills, particularly the older people. So does flu, and pneumonia and heart attacks, and strokes and many, many other illnesses.
Death had not been invented in 2020, has always been with us with tens of thousands of people dying in the UK every year, particularly during the winter months.
BUT,,,,,,we have trashed the economy, the education of our young people, the lives of tens of thousands who will have lost their jobs, maybe their homes and their relationships.
It will be decades before things have recovered.
I do not care about Christmas or any other festival, but I am very, very concerned about the rising rates of suicide,, mental breakdowns, etc.

MawBe Wed 18-Nov-20 14:11:08

Listen to yourselves Olive - and AlanaV and ajaswan
Arguments such as

There were no masks worn at the beginning of lockdown as we were told they won’t work. Now everyone is wearing them and guess what, The rate of infection is increasing
If it’s all a hoax - what rate?
What infection?
I find it hard to credit that anybody (apart from Donald Trump) still believes this is all some sort of hoax .
Live in your bubble of denial if you must but take a peep outside at the real world.

Susan56 Wed 18-Nov-20 14:13:28

We plan to have Christmas with our bubble if allowed.We have been so careful as we both fall into the vulnerable category and like others have said the virus doesn’t know it’s meant to be taking a break no matter what the government say.

My mother is giving us a really hard time.She wants Christmas with the entire extended family and is furious that we have said we will be only with out bubble.She is included in our bubble but wants to see so many other people as well,

She is phoning us at least daily trying to wear us down.Like Mama Caz’s mother, we will never be forgiven if we don’t do what she wants.We aren’t giving in so it’s all very sad and upsetting.

I accept we may catch Covid but I will do everything I can to keep us as safe as we can.

We owe it to the people like Jillybirds daughters in law to follow the rules and try to halt the spread of this virus.Young women with young families but going to work to help people who have contracted the virus.Kudos to them?

Unigran4 Wed 18-Nov-20 14:13:55

Although I agree entirely with the comments that say it's only this year, grow a pair and what's wrong with people, there is a group of people who want to throw caution to the wind because it may be their elderly relation's last Christmas. My DD's MiL has dementia, kidney failure and is catatonic, she may even die before this Christmas, but she certainly won't be here next Christmas. She has joy in her surroundings, enjoyed blowing out the candles on her 80th birthday, and lives in her own happy bubble.

But my DD is not so worried about her inevitable passing. Her concern is for her FiL. If they leave the two of them alone for Christmas what memories will that evoke for FiL at Christmases to come? They already have carers coming in 4 times a day, so the risk is always there (although the carers have full PPE).

I think we have to make a risk assessment for each scenario, and let others do the same.

And "hoax" ? I have had 2 family members die (both in their 40s), and two with Long Covid, pretty much unable to do anything for more than 5 minutes, before collapsing with exhaustion. They all live in different parts of the country (one abroad) so no cross infection. Never have so many been brainwashed by so few. Please engage brain and THINK about it.

Susan56 Wed 18-Nov-20 14:13:56

Be with our bubble

FlotheCrow Wed 18-Nov-20 14:17:09

I totally agree with you, ajswan. I simply cannot believe how intelligent people can be so taken in by the doom-mongering and lies that we've been fed. If you want to live your life in fear, go ahead, but don't try and force it on me. I certainly shan't be joining you. I shall be spending Christmas with my family as ever.

CleoPanda Wed 18-Nov-20 14:19:33

I couldn’t give a fig what the government say or what is “allowed”.
The virus is still here, infections are growing, hospitals are starting to fill up, deaths are common. Long term effects are being experienced after even a milder dose.
Why would any sane person want to risk their own or their family’s health?
I just don’t get it. How could a day of celebration be worth someone’s long term health or even life?

Mozisart Wed 18-Nov-20 14:23:23

ALANaV

Oh please......this HAS to end sometime !!!! the whole situation is getting out of hand ...scaremongering tactics without a grain of truth just to keep the population under control ! I shall NOT be isolating and as soon as any travel ban ANYWHERE is lifted I am off ....my life my choice, AND before anyone jumps on me for being 'selfish; or irresponsible, well, all I can say is if I catch it, then SOMEONE else must have been !!! fait accompli grin

ALANaV:

I wouldn't call you selfish or irresponsible, I'll just call you a STUPID DIMWIT.

aonk Wed 18-Nov-20 14:42:07

Most posters want to exercise caution over the Christmas period and I’m completely in agreement with them. However I’m not so accepting of this situation as some are. Why would you look forward to a quiet day with your husband when you can do that at any time? Why look forward to Zoom and FaceTime? If there is no relaxation in restrictions then I know I will be very miserable and will hate every minute. I tried Zoom in the last lockdown but it’s too upsetting for me. Yes I’ll do what I’m told but won’t put any kind of positive spin on it. I have 7 grandchildren whom I see much less frequently now. My relationship with them has changed and not for the better. We won’t ever get these times back so no acceptance from me.