Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Unwanted views on the pandemic

(97 Posts)
Foxglove77 Sun 22-Nov-20 21:20:58

I popped down to our local shop today wearing a mask. I had just reached my car with my shopping bag when a lady walked towards me with a little dog.

I stepped back to let her and the dog past when she said loudly "There is no pandemic, it's all a hoax".

I appreciate everyone is entitled to an opinion, but I was simply being polite and letting her pass, so why lecture me on covid?

It was unnecessary and annoyed me!

crazygranny Mon 23-Nov-20 10:39:05

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Nobody is entitled to use that opinion either as an affirmation of their own superiority or as an opening gambit for an argument. There's enough grief in the world without looking for ways to add to it.

nipsmum Mon 23-Nov-20 10:53:20

There will always be people who think they know better than everyone else. When Neil Armstrong landed on the moon, one of our neighbours insisted that was impossible because the moon was made of cheese. As I say there are always people like that. Everyone is a bit touchy about things now and tempers are easily frayed and roused ,I find.

Mollygo Mon 23-Nov-20 11:05:18

It’s true that tempers are easily frayed. I always wear a mask in shops, but was sworn at by a lady with a lanyard on Saturday, when I inadvertently coughed as she came up behind me at the frozen food cabinet.
. “You bxxxxy cow! You could have given me the fxxxxxg virus!” were her exact words!
I thought Sainsbury’s was posher than that.

MissElly Mon 23-Nov-20 11:16:02

Here in Malta everyone, even quite young children have to wear a mask once they leave their home. Fines are enforced if you don’t and compliance seems to be 100%
Personally I feel safer with the mask and it does seem to remind people of the need to be careful. Yes it’s uncomfortable but as they say, a heck of a lot less uncomfortable than a ventilator.

Annaram1 Mon 23-Nov-20 11:16:09

Many many Americans will not be getting the vaccine even though over 250000 of them have died of Covid. They are afraid of it. And many think the threat is overestimated, thanks to old Trump. Not quite as bad here in Britain. I think most of us will have the vaccine. My son is a doctor and looking forward to getting it as he is in daily danger.
Foxglove's lady was rude and ignorant.

Seefah Mon 23-Nov-20 11:16:51

C.G. Jung — ‘Thinking is difficult, that’s why most people judge.’

Seefah Mon 23-Nov-20 11:24:57

A snap judgement is the same as a fast opinion. Saves the effort of actually figuring things out. Hoaxers, like anti vaxxers - are free think what they like but I think they should sign a paper refusing treatment for covid. Why should someone who takes the vaccine be refused an icu bed that a hoaxer and anti vaxxer is occupying because of covid. I’m fine with opinions but people should live according to them.

lizzypopbottle Mon 23-Nov-20 11:25:16

Foxglove77 You can cross one thing off your bucket list:

Meet a deluded conspiracy theorist...

grandtanteJE65 Mon 23-Nov-20 11:26:28

In Denmark we don't have to wear masks outdoors. We do have to put them on before going into shops, railway and bus stations, any form of public transport, churches, doctors' consulting rooms etc.

Nearly everyone is doing so, or wearing a visor and some people keep them on in the streets. I take my mask off in the streets as now that the weather is colder my glasses fog up.

I have to take them off in the shops in order to keep my mask on!

4allweknow Mon 23-Nov-20 11:29:12

Not many wear masks outside here. Many do try to keep a distance outside though (except young folk) and they too are the ones to be seen not wearing masks in stores. Ignore the comments made to you, the person may gave mental health issues.

Blinko Mon 23-Nov-20 11:34:15

Why are some people exempt from wearing a mask? It's not as if masks prevent or impede breathing in any way; they're simply slightly inconvenient, surely?

Millie22 Mon 23-Nov-20 11:36:46

I'd have told her to F* off. Short and to the point. After nursing a person with covid I wouldn't have been able to stop myself.

MayBee70 Mon 23-Nov-20 11:39:22

It’s always me and DH that move out of people’s way when there is limited space on a path or pavement. We often stand there as people slowly walk past us, turn to each other and say ‘we’re invisible again’. And when I pointed out on our village Facebook page that I was scared to leave the house because people were ignoring social distancing I was ridiculed.

Moggycuddler Mon 23-Nov-20 11:51:29

nipsmum

There will always be people who think they know better than everyone else. When Neil Armstrong landed on the moon, one of our neighbours insisted that was impossible because the moon was made of cheese. As I say there are always people like that. Everyone is a bit touchy about things now and tempers are easily frayed and roused ,I find.

You have to be kidding, surely? Made of cheese?!! I did once know someone who was half convinced that the earth was flat, but . . . cheese?

Galaxy Mon 23-Nov-20 12:00:22

Village Facebooks are like the wild west in my experience Maybee.

annehinckley Mon 23-Nov-20 12:05:14

Seefah. Love that quote from Jung.

Alioop Mon 23-Nov-20 12:06:32

I pass an elderly man when I'm out walking my dog, but part of the pathway is narrow so I crossed the road. He screamed at me asking why I crossed the road that I was being stupid! I said it was to give him plenty of room and that we didn't have to walk on the road. He was so angry and I thought I was doing a good thing and being thoughtful.

GillT57 Mon 23-Nov-20 12:15:52

Around here everyone wears masks in shops, but few wear them while out in the village, going for a walk or out with the dog. We don't, on the basis that we are outside in the fresh air, and we keep our distance. My DD had a nasty comment thrown at her by another early morning runner; DD stopped and stepped aside and the woman ran past and swore at her for not being far enough away. Weird.

B9exchange Mon 23-Nov-20 12:16:17

Blinko, it is not the breathing, it is a hidden psychological disability. The covering of the mouth and nose causes problems for those who have been attacked by someone holding a hand over their face to stop them screaming. I have every sympathy with them, and would not challenge someone for not wearing a mask. That might not apply to a big, beefy six footer, but on the other hand I would probably be taking my life in my hands challenging them anyway! grin

Sashabel Mon 23-Nov-20 12:20:56

"There is no pandemic, it's all a hoax" and Elvis is still alive and living in a hut in the Amazon. The world is flat and you can fall over the edge and Donald Trump won the election!!! grin

BlueRuby Mon 23-Nov-20 12:24:09

I've been wearing a mask since March, from the minute I leave home till I get back. I don't like it, and I practised at home before I went out in March. Not difficult. Both my husband and myself have underlying health conditions. We had a lot of green waste and junk cleared from the bottom of the garden during the summer, and I wore a mask, and stood well back, to talk to the men that came. None of them wore masks, and one was near my age. He asked me why I was wearing a mask and I said, well if you've got covid I don't want you breathing all over me, if I've got it, I don't want to breathe all over you, and if someone with Covid is standing in front of the two of us I fancy my chances over yours. I've also had comments in the street, and I just say the same thing - I fancy my chances of getting through this better than yours. And when someone is standing too close in a queue, I fix them with a steely look over my mask and they step back. You just have to do what you need to do to keep yourself safe, don't worry about anyone else. I personally know three people at my previous workplace that have died from Covid. Wear a mask. Keep your distance. Stay safe.

Kim19 Mon 23-Nov-20 12:29:57

Sad but that's folk for you. You just have to try hard to ignore the nasty ones and certainly don't respond. They're just not worth it and...... the space kept you safe. Great!

lovebeigecardigans1955 Mon 23-Nov-20 12:42:22

Good for you Gwyneth there's always one isn't there?

NannyC2 Mon 23-Nov-20 12:46:16

Well Floxglove, she was partially right.
In the beginning there was cause for alarm with Covid.
It HAS gone now - listen to Ivor Cummins he knows what he is talking about - FACTS!
He has all the figures and charts and has been studying world wide not just UK.
It is a seasonal virus - strange really - there doesn't appear to be any flu this year!! CHECK - don't just take my word.
Refer to Daily Mail where DOH has apologised for misleading figures.

Vitamin D blood level (not vitamin or supplement) is a good marker for metabolic health, particularly covid. Studies came out that showed that copd people, insulin resistant mostly, had about 10 times the risk, cardiac, 10 times the risk of death from covid.
98.5 % of fatalaties in Italy had multiple copd - insulin resistant.
If you are below 29 nanograms blood level you are metabolically in trouble and are 10 more times likely to die than those above 32 nanograms.
Answer - get a healthy diet.
A professor agreed to have a debate with Ivor - but guess what - he ran away!

Gma29 Mon 23-Nov-20 12:48:08

My dh has a fairly advanced lung disease, and is classed as clinically vulnerable. Because of this he rarely goes out, but a mask turns him from merely breathless to really struggling to breathe. He has tried!