Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Unwanted views on the pandemic

(96 Posts)
Foxglove77 Sun 22-Nov-20 21:20:58

I popped down to our local shop today wearing a mask. I had just reached my car with my shopping bag when a lady walked towards me with a little dog.

I stepped back to let her and the dog past when she said loudly "There is no pandemic, it's all a hoax".

I appreciate everyone is entitled to an opinion, but I was simply being polite and letting her pass, so why lecture me on covid?

It was unnecessary and annoyed me!

suziewoozie Sun 22-Nov-20 21:27:10

That was very goady of her - I would have been rendered speechless and thought of a good riposte on the way home.

EllanVannin Sun 22-Nov-20 21:33:40

Hardly anyone where I live has worn a mask, including myself----only at the surgery 3 months ago for my INR.

EllanVannin Sun 22-Nov-20 21:34:30

Merry Christmask grin

Iam64 Sun 22-Nov-20 21:36:29

EllanVannin, do you mean no masks in shops?
Foxglove, there’s no accounting for rude, especially when combined with ignorance and stupidity

Gwyneth Sun 22-Nov-20 21:48:21

Foxglove your unpleasant experience reminds me of a similar one I had during the first lockdown. Everyone was following the rules re social distancing etc except for one man. He was going back and forth along the aisles at random and disregarding any distancing. I was at the bread when he came behind me, leant over me actually touching me. There was no excuse me or anything. I asked him politely, although I was angry to keep his distance. He shouted out ‘I haven’t got Covid’ . I replied ‘ That’s fine but how do you know I haven’t got it.’ He made a quick exit.

NotTooOld Sun 22-Nov-20 22:50:44

Gwyneth grin

How rude of the woman with the dog. Some people have no manners. Best simply to maintain your own dignity, which you did.

Blossoming Sun 22-Nov-20 23:23:47

Unfortunately there seems to be a pandemic of ignorance!

Even if I thought mask wearing was pointless (and being clinically vulnerable I do think we should wear them) I wouldn’t dream of making a comment like that.

Maggiemaybe Sun 22-Nov-20 23:38:58

Oh dear, Foxglove. Stupid is as stupid does, in the wise words of Forest Gump.

Just let it wash over you. Like suziewoozie, I’d have thought up a scintillating reply half an hour after it was needed.

WOODMOUSE49 Mon 23-Nov-20 00:10:14

I am so thankful nearly everywhere I've been since February, almost 100% of people have been wearing masks (certainly 100% in shops). ?

The weekly rate for Cornwall (where I live and haven't left
since January) is 71.2 cases per 100,000 people compared to the England figure of 251.5 per 100,000. ?

Galaxy Mon 23-Nov-20 06:00:28

I would just ask her where she studied science.

BlueBelle Mon 23-Nov-20 07:03:07

I wouldn’t have even taken any notice of her comments to be honest, up to her what she wants to believe, as long as she didn’t come up to touch or cough over you
Nearly everyone seems to wear masks in places where they should be worn, around here
Where ever do you live ellenvannin how do people shop where you are if no one is wearing a mask or are you living on a little island somewhere ?

Galaxy Mon 23-Nov-20 07:45:05

It is up to her what she believes however if she comes up and tells you her beliefs she cant complain if people respond with their beliefs. I mean facts.

Onthenaughtystep1 Mon 23-Nov-20 07:58:31

The advert I’m seeing on this page shows a sweatshirt with the message “When this virus is over I still want some of you to stay away from me. ?
Brilliant product placement!

Galaxy Mon 23-Nov-20 08:00:43

Oh I love that, it's exactly how I feel, grumpy cow that I am.

sodapop Mon 23-Nov-20 09:15:37

Annoying Foxglove77 especially when you were just being polite. Some people just cannot cope with the Covid situation and deal with it by denial.

petra Mon 23-Nov-20 09:35:20

Here in the Southend area very few people are wearing masks outside.
My daughter has noticed that a lot more people are wearing a lanyard in the shops.

Whitewavemark2 Mon 23-Nov-20 09:42:09

Brighton and Hove.

Compliance is very high.

We had a low incidence until the students returned - 2 universities plus art colleges etc and it rose during the autumn. It is now beginning to fall again.

BigBertha1 Mon 23-Nov-20 10:08:32

My daughter has to run the gamut on her office days of the car park man who has signed up to every wacky theory and keeps hold of her so to speak until she has heard that days outpouring. The latest being that Bill Gates has developed the vaccine to make everyone autistic and dependant on his software. She doesn't get upset or try to put him straight, its pointless to try that.

Hetty58 Mon 23-Nov-20 10:13:46

it's just utterly astounding what people can believe. I'm getting fed up with people saying they'll refuse the vaccination. Thank Heavens we can get herd immunity without 100% compliance!

Caro57 Mon 23-Nov-20 10:27:47

Hey ho! We are all entitled to our opinion .............even if it’s wrong. She ought to try looking round a hospital and seeing their death figures!

Rosalyn69 Mon 23-Nov-20 10:32:13

Horrid woman.
Most people here in Swansea are wearing masks - at least in my local shopping area.

Gingergirl Mon 23-Nov-20 10:35:00

Well, I’m not sure what I think about the pandemic but just to be courteous, when I passed an elderly man on a footpath in a park, I walked onto the grass to keep a distance and he said, very sharply, ‘have I got unclean written on my forehead’. I was a little surprised and said ‘I was doing it to be polite....with the distance thing...’ and he said ‘yes, you’re very right’. Make of that what you will?. I would take all comments with a pinch of salt really...I guess we are all entitled to our own opinions.

jaylucy Mon 23-Nov-20 10:37:38

I think I'd have been tempted to shout back with something along the line of "tell that to my son/daughter/ niece/nephew that are currently taking care of x number of patients in hospital. Would you like me to arrange a guided tour of the ICU ?"

Moggycuddler Mon 23-Nov-20 10:38:23

Gingergirl

Well, I’m not sure what I think about the pandemic but just to be courteous, when I passed an elderly man on a footpath in a park, I walked onto the grass to keep a distance and he said, very sharply, ‘have I got unclean written on my forehead’. I was a little surprised and said ‘I was doing it to be polite....with the distance thing...’ and he said ‘yes, you’re very right’. Make of that what you will?. I would take all comments with a pinch of salt really...I guess we are all entitled to our own opinions.

Perhaps he's a bit "forgetful" and momentarily forgot about the pandemic??