Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Christmas shoppers in Regent St yesterday ???

(94 Posts)
MawBe Sun 06-Dec-20 09:03:12

I could weep
These idiots are not only endangering themselves but every one of us - the wider population, not just GN, I mean.
How many Christmases are going to be ruined because of this total lack of responsibility?
How many lives?
No wonder we need lockdowns when people cannot be trusted to be sensible or considerate of others.

Nannan2 Sun 06-Dec-20 11:02:49

O.M.G! Its just flaming ridiculous! They probably think it will all be ok cause the vaccine is coming to save us! IDIOTS! That wont help us right now while they are all mingling will it?????

timetogo2016 Sun 06-Dec-20 11:06:24

It beggers belief,and i could not see a single face covering.
Idiotic selfish ignorant b`stards.

Callistemon Sun 06-Dec-20 11:09:30

I feel sorry for the shop assistants.

Caught between the crowds bringing potential danger with the virus or no-one shopping and the possibility that they lose their jobs.

jusnoneed Sun 06-Dec-20 11:16:20

Head above parapet here... the trouble is with these lock downs that as soon as they are lifted people are bound to rush out at the same time, if you've not been able to shop etc for a month you may feel you have to take the opportunity. This is why (as an expert said on tv) lock downs will never work and will just keep producing surges.

Kalu Sun 06-Dec-20 11:35:08

Man’s Inhumanity to Man, in one snapshot!

Lancslass1 Sun 06-Dec-20 11:44:32

The police can't arrest them all but they should pick out a number at random and put them in prison for a few days .
Their names should be published.
Some young people have no thought about anyone else.
It is all Me,me ,me .
I am afraid I am unable to understand your view Maddyone but from what you have written it is what you expected and won't be reading any further .comments
From the photographs I have seen, none of the young people is wearing a mask nor keeping two metres apart.
If that is not selfish behaviour I don't know what is.

Dorsetcupcake61 Sun 06-Dec-20 11:57:03

I wonder as well if people who are less cautious are so because as time goes by they havent caught the virus. Of course they may be asymptomatic or only have had it mildly.
I sometimes wish there was more information. We hear daily the numbers of infections and deaths. I often wonder what happened to those with infections.? Maybe it's too early to get a true picture.
The emphasis has certainly been on age and underlying health conditions so I understand why those who this doesnt apply to may not be so concerned.
I cant see anything changing any time soon. Those that view themselves at less risk and maybe dont have contact with vulnerable groups will carry on regardless. Those who are vulnerable or those that have contact with them will carry on being cautious. We may be able to remain relatively safe but as long as those who are not vulnerable view our plight with such little consideration our lives can only be restricted. Even when vaccinated we may have to be careful.
I dont know what the answer is but I dont see anything changing any time soon.

Toadinthehole Sun 06-Dec-20 12:02:23

I always tend to think the law is made for people who keep it anyway...and would be sensible. The rest are just morons, and don’t care about lockdowns or anything else. Our city looked ‘ normal’ all through the last one. The best solution is to stay away, and keep safe, as much as you can. I do know it’s not easy for everyone, if they have to work especially.

WOODMOUSE49 Sun 06-Dec-20 12:08:33

Our doctors and nurses are going to have a brilliant Christmas! I think not. angry angry angry

geekesse Sun 06-Dec-20 12:22:33

It’s easy to accuse other people of being reckless, but in fact a lot of people break the regulations just a bit because they think they are a special case. Outdoor gatherings where people are moving are much less risky, so even crowds outdoors are less likely to spread infection than small gatherings indoors over several hours. But I wouldn’t mind betting that may of those who are outraged at the danger of infection from crowds are planning to spend part of the Christmas season indoors, spending hours in close contact with members of different households. Personally, I think that’s crazy.

Luckygirl Sun 06-Dec-20 12:25:32

in fact a lot of people break the regulations just a bit because they think they are a special case = reckless!

Harris27 Sun 06-Dec-20 12:32:09

Well it doesn’t surprise me because the young don’t usually get it so it’s their way of saying we’re moving on. It is upsetting for me as I haven’t seen my sons properly for months as they have stuck to the rules. I will see them at Christmas hopefully.

BlueBelle Sun 06-Dec-20 12:45:08

All you can do is look after yourself in which ever way you find comfortable
I m sure the photos are doctored just like the beach ones were in the summer which caused no spike at all
All countries are having problems holding their inhabitants back
Football have crowds of 2000, people see that and don’t think there is any harm in shopping

Jaxjacky Sun 06-Dec-20 12:52:40

BlueBelle it’s often the angle of the camera, an aerial shot may well tell a different story, typical press.
I’m not denying there were more people out, but as others have said and I’ve read on GN, plans to gather indoors, often different people on different days over Christmas, seems to me to be riskier.

PollyDolly Sun 06-Dec-20 12:58:11

V3ra

There were similar scenes from the Nottingham Christmas market ☹️

Nottingham Christmas Market has now apparently been closed down!

geekesse Sun 06-Dec-20 13:05:36

Luckygirl

*in fact a lot of people break the regulations just a bit because they think they are a special case* = reckless!

Luckygirl, Absolutely - that was my point.

Kandinsky Sun 06-Dec-20 13:10:13

People are fed up with it, younger people aren’t particularly bothered about catching it as in the vast majority of people under 60 the disease is mild, vaccine has arrived, some people are conspiracy theorists and think it’s all a big con.....etc etc etc.

Personally, I’d have put all the clinically vulnerable & the over 65’s under house arrest until we found the vaccine & let everyone else get on with it.

Lona Sun 06-Dec-20 13:10:57

If I were PM, I would have wanted an immediate shut down of London into Tier 3 at least!
angry

Rosalyn69 Sun 06-Dec-20 13:11:19

People never fail to disappoint me.

Septimia Sun 06-Dec-20 13:14:17

Well, when things are safe enough again, some time in the future, those of us who have been carefully obeying the rules and keeping ourselves as safe as possible can meet up and celebrate our survival. All the idiots will be long gone and it will just be us. Hope to see you then!!

MawBe Sun 06-Dec-20 13:17:32

Jaxjacky

BlueBelle it’s often the angle of the camera, an aerial shot may well tell a different story, typical press.
I’m not denying there were more people out, but as others have said and I’ve read on GN, plans to gather indoors, often different people on different days over Christmas, seems to me to be riskier.

I think you are being optimistic!
As well as the numbers on the streets, just consider those in the shops, the buses and underground trains used to get them there and think again is it just typical press ?

Luckygirl Sun 06-Dec-20 13:22:30

My nephew is 25 - he has the virus and is really quite poorly. Youth does not ensure a mild dose - his is most certainly not mild.

Jaxjacky Sun 06-Dec-20 13:29:13

MawBe maybe I am. I’m just growing a bit weary of people slating others when we as individuals can’t govern others, only behave as we see fit. Yes it annoys me when I see others, some close to home, breaking lockdown; ignoring distancing, moaning about posties/deliveries/ retail open or not. I have to try and believe the majority are doing their best, whilst doing mine, or there’s no hope.

MawBe Sun 06-Dec-20 13:36:33

Two wrongs don’t make a right Jaxjacky and as for “slating others” are you suggesting we just sing Always Look on the Bright Side and “hope for the best” ?

Sounds as if you would prefer not to recognise the reality of what is going on in some places or don’t live in the real world.

Lancslass1 Sun 06-Dec-20 13:41:49

Apparently four people have been arrested!
Four !!
They were all doing wrong .