Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Social distancing in Christmas bubbles

(109 Posts)
Snowbell Wed 09-Dec-20 21:27:50

The government guidance on meeting your Christmas bubble indoors says " if you are only visiting someone for a short time, you should keep socially distanced from anybody you do not live with as much as possible"
How can this possibly work with up to 3 households in one house, especially if it's a small house or flat and with excited children?

SpringyChicken Wed 09-Dec-20 21:43:11

It's going to be hopeless, people won't bother trying. And some folks think they can have a different three household bubble each day.

NotTooOld Wed 09-Dec-20 22:02:13

Agree. People won't bother. Big peak of covid cases in January.

Teacheranne Thu 10-Dec-20 00:51:39

Well, I am spending the day at my sisters with her husband and two children, my daughter will be with us as well. I have already stated that the windows will need to be open at the front and the back to allow a through draught, I’m going to hog the single chair rather than sit on a shared settee and I’m going to have my own serving spoon for the vegetables! And I’ve made the special stuffing ( with sausage meat, apple and onion) in balls rather than in a dish.

My sister thinks I am paranoid but she’s humouring me and going along with it!

I am serious about these measures but if I was really worried, I would spend the day alone in my house but I’m happy with my risk assessment.

I think a lot of people will take note of the social distancing measures and hygiene precautions and minimise contact as much as they can. But yes, there probably will be a rise in cases in January, look how crowded the shops and shopping centres are this week. And the number of people gathering outside bars in London and other tier two city centres.

Mamardoit Thu 10-Dec-20 08:45:03

I really cannot believe this is going to happen. We are being given 'permission' to do the one thing that everyone knows will cause a spike in infections.

Bubbling with one other household so that no one is alone is one thing but multiple households, multiple times. I have two front line NHS in my own family. One is an ICU nurse. All that clapping means nothing if we all get together and covid spreads.

One of my close friends is a widow with two little DGC. It is lovely that she has formed a bubble with her son and DDIL so she can join them. The problem is DDIL has invited her DB and DSis and their other halves for Christmas too. All perfectly legal but the four extra adults all work and mix as many young people do. There must be a risk with this unnecessary mixing of households.

Lucca Thu 10-Dec-20 08:49:46

I’m single and bubble with son and family for which I am very grateful. It looks,like we will spend Christmas together but I have told them that I’m quite happy to miss out if they fancy a day with other relatives eg daughter in laws brother. I wouldn’t want to mix things up to be honest.

Daisymae Thu 10-Dec-20 08:56:14

It's not going to happen and with the best will in the world people will be breathing in the same air, windows open or not. I know someone who caught it from friends while they sat in the garage.

pollyperkins Thu 10-Dec-20 09:05:05

Well we are seeing our son & DIL & GC on Christmas Day but only for lunch & will be very careful. Bringing our own serving spoon is a good idea. We will have open windows (warm clothes) & take masks & hand sanitiser. We decided not to stay overnight.
I think a lot of people will be sensible, others may not. We are all different.

Juicylucy Thu 10-Dec-20 09:17:19

In a word it’s virtually impossible and iLL thought out. That is exactly why people are predicting another lockdown in January.

TillyWhiz Thu 10-Dec-20 09:21:37

Three separate ladies I know, all normally very sensible, have been planning social events recently and had to be reminded of the restrictions! It's all very confusing.

Dylant1234 Thu 10-Dec-20 09:24:11

Just because the government says something is permitted doesn’t mean one should do it - especially when it’s this extremely thick and incompetent government!
Two metres is the length of a super king size bed. Unless one lives in a palace, how many people can fit more than two to four king size beds in their kitchen/dining room or living rooms?
It’s bonkers and a recipe for total disaster. I have 6 grandchildren I adore but I’ve said I’d rather be alone this Christmas than six feet under next!
Rollout the vaccine!

4allweknow Thu 10-Dec-20 09:25:39

Totally unrealistic. How many houses have rooms big enough for all to keep 2 mts apart? Think the Gov. forgot to include we should be sitting with all the windows open too.

Applegran Thu 10-Dec-20 09:25:58

The vaccine is on the way - it seems to me far the best thing to plan for seeing each other in 2021 whenever it is safe. We, with regret, will not see any family over Christmas - but we can look forward to better things next year. I have the fear, as so many do, that for some families a Christmas together will be paid for by illness or even death of someone in the older generation. Lets wait!

kwest Thu 10-Dec-20 09:28:39

Much as we love our children and grandchildren, we are each spending Christmas in our own homes. It is just not worth the risk.

Calendargirl Thu 10-Dec-20 09:30:56

We are staying on our own. A while ago, DH wondered if DS, DIL and 2 GC who haven’t been in our home since February could come just before lunch, have the meal in our (large) conservatory, separate tables, windows open though it’s like a fridge this time of year, then go home after the meal.

So when would we chat while cooking the meal I said? What would be the point?

So idea quickly abandoned.

To me, if we do this meeting up, inside, well we may as well have been meeting up back in the summer, when cases in our area were much, much lower.

Nanny100 Thu 10-Dec-20 09:31:20

I think the Government suggested this “Christmas Bubble” because they knew people would mix anyway.
I’m genuinely despairing of how a large percentage have behaved.
We made the decision, before the announcement, not to travel from Liverpool to North Berwick, Scotland, for Christmas. Our DD SIL and GC (6&3) haven’t seen us since they came here in February for DH birthday.
SIL is a Consultant Anaesthetist, and although tested weekly, is a potential vector. The GCs attend school and nursery, so again, potential vectors.
We decided that as it’s only one Christmas and we will all be protected by the vaccine soon, the sacrifice is worth it. SIL was vaccinated yesterday!
It’s been harrowing not seeing them. A year, especially to the youngest who was only 3 in September is a huge chunk of her life and we miss them terribly, particularly as DH had major surgery in August, which I had to manage alone.
But look, the vaccine is here, if we all just keep away until protected, the suffering and deaths will be much fewer.
We’re willing to do it. That’s what we based our decision on.

tanith Thu 10-Dec-20 09:37:33

I’m in a bubble with one daughter but this year her partner has his children for Christmas, 4 children all in different schools so her house is a no no for me. My other daughter is having all of her own children and GC visit at various times so I’ve made the decision not to see any of them I think it’s the only sensible decision although the family don’t like the fact I’ll be on my own. But really I’ll miss the hullabaloo that usually is Christmas Day but I’m fine with my own company.

luluisabelle Thu 10-Dec-20 09:42:58

Us too. Not worth wasting all our efforts for the year so far. Vaccine just round the corner. We have 7 GC and haven’t seen them either but waiting is still worth it. I also have the sadness of missing them but want to get it right. The thought of more work for nurses & Doctors etc and more deaths is too upsetting

DaisyL Thu 10-Dec-20 09:45:16

Rather like Brexit this pandemic seems to have divided people into the fearful and the fearless. WE had a family funeral this week and half of the 20 people present kissed and hugged and the other half didn't. One GD and her husband won't go anywhere or see anyone while her sister is the opposite - there doesn't seem to be any rhyme nor reason for it. Looking at the crowds in shopping centres - many without masks - it seems inevitable that we will have another spike after Christmas but is another lockdown the answer. People seemed to find it harder the second time around so a third would probably be even worse.

SillyNanny321 Thu 10-Dec-20 09:45:27

I bubble with my DS, DDiL, DGS & DGD so we intend to have Christmas dinner & early evening then when the children go to bed I will go home. I do see them every couple of weeks when I have a problem but we are careful. Last night they were told that my DGD at 5 years old has to isolate as a child in her school class has tested positive for Covid. My DS is taking me to a drive through test centre for a Pre-op test then dropping me at home. He will pick me up after the Op & take me home as I have no way to get anywhere by myself. Due to times the Hospital bus will be unavailable early evening. Just praying the virus misses my little lovely. I know I will be taking a chance relying on DS but we will wear masks & both of us use a lot of hand sanitiser. So taking a risk for Christmas when, if the family are Covid free after DGD isolating till 23rd, will be being careful as usual. Obviously if the whole family do get the rotten virus there will be no Xmas. When they are well we will ‘celebrate’ then.

Greta Thu 10-Dec-20 09:46:30

The idea that 3 households can mix safely is preposterous and I am angry about this. I think the government wants to be popular and this is just a gamble. Perhaps they hope that most of us will be sensible. The average British house is notoriously small and cramped, pack in 3 households, add alcohol and music and you have a perfect recipe for another lockdown in January. I know nobody has to mix 3 households but the fact that this is allowed means you cannot then blame people for following the rule.

FannyCornforth Thu 10-Dec-20 09:49:22

I really cannot see that having a window open is going to protect you if you are in a room with someone who is infectious.

DH and I have both been shielding and yet we still caught it (definitely him, probably me).

There is still such a lot that isn't known about the virus. Every HCP I have spoken to says that it is a very strange virus.

Symptoms are constantly changing - currently a very bad headache is extremely common.

Please, please be very cautious.

Dillonsgranma Thu 10-Dec-20 09:52:02

I think it’s all crazy. It’s all for what? A roast meal? I’m clinically vulnerable with asthma and angina and have been shielding. My daughter and I are going to meet up next week half way between our homes . A two hour drive for both of us. And I’m taking sausage rolls , chic chip fairy cakes etc. Well have a lovely walk hopefully and I’ll see the grandchildren. We can exchange presents and at least I’ll see them all! First time since June . My doctor thought this was an excellent idea

Laughterlines Thu 10-Dec-20 09:52:13

why not postpone Christmas lunch till the summer

DinoGran Thu 10-Dec-20 09:52:14

I feel very conflicted. I bubble with one DD and family for childcare but I minimise my time with them as much as possible. I don’t go in their house. I drive with the car windows open and bring GC back to my home where I have the windows open and keep my distance. My DD and her partner both have roles where they are contact with the public everyday. My DD has always had the strictest hygiene standards due to this even before the pandemic - hand gel, own pens and not shaking hands - her partner on the other hand seems oblivious to the situation. They want me to join them for Christmas and I would dearly love to but I’ve said I’m not sure. My GC and DD will be very sad if I don’t and that’s what’s worrying me. I may go to theirs for a short time but not eat there. I will feel very desolate on my own but many people have that every day so I need to count my blessings. I’m hoping it will be a nice day weather wise and then we can all go for a walk.